“DO NOT STAY HERE” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #40 of 42 Hotels in Eastbourne
rochester
“DO NOT STAY HERE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

After arriving we checked in to a room that was to put it mildly like a sauna. It was cold outside so there was no excuse. A fan was in the room that was covered in dust and cobwebs, when I called reception they said they didn't know why the room was so hot and it wasn't normally a problem (obviously it was hence the fan) I asked to move rooms and was told there wasn't any available, then I went to reception and magically a room became available, went to the new room (no fan?!??) the room was shoddy, terrible paintwork, dirty and smelly. Went for breakfast and was told to sit downstairs because there was no room, went downstairs and was sat next to the kitchen doors which proceeded to wack in to my bag every time the kitchen staff opened it. Then we was asked if we wanted a coffe and then we were just left for over 20 minutes sitting there trying to get a waiters attention. In the end we couldn't wait any longer so we left. I went to reception to complain and was told the manager was driving and he would call back. Since this time 2 weeks ago I have left 9 yes 9 messages and have still not recieved a call back!!!! Avoid this place at all costs!!!!!

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank daisymcc
Kayum A, General Manager at The Strand Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Sorry for the inconvenience caused and i am sure we spoke and resolved the issue. We are going through lots of changes and i am sure you will have an enjoyable stay with us next time.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Like the rest of the reviews dont waste your money staying here!!

we stayed for one night, a treat from my kother who didnt look on here prior to booking. My girlfriend and I arrived to a "tired" building but it was ok nice to be away for a night.

We arrived and checked in around 11am nice to get an early check in....oh the check in was a "hello!" That was it no what is your name no mention of where the room or breakfast was no asking if we needed hand with luggage or news paper or wakeup call, the stuff you take for granted in a two star hotel.

My mother then went to check in....her room had a wet spot on the carpet, she was not happy with this therefore went to tell the receptionist who was quite happy to change her room and gave her a new key card.......mother then traipsed to her next room to open the door and find....me and my girlfriend there!! (Luckily I was watching some sport on tv and my girlfriend reading otherwise could have been rather embarrassing.)

Mum wanders back downstairs wondering when the farce would end, over hearing in the lift, made for three people, that she was not the only one for this to happen to.

mum finally gets her new room with a sea view that should be ....wait for it £10 .......yes £10 extra! Her room was smaller then her first and like previous comments no opening window.

Our window opened but we had to wedge a shoe in it as it would not stay open! My girlfriend said the shower was a wet cold drip, I chose to avoid the dissapointment! Breakfast was ok....except the staff could do with a wakeup call not be walking round like zombies.....NOW THE SO CALLED MANAGER

Iexpained on the saturday night of my stay that I would like to speak to A manaver on the sundaybmorning the helpful lady said ok no problem.... I come down early sunday morning and explain to the lady on reception I would like to speak to a manager after breakfast around 8 am she said he will arrive around 9 am...... I finish breakfast around 8.30am and guess what still no manager. The receptionist calls the manager to be told its my day off there are no managers there on sunday morning!! Being in the trade this is ridiculous as sundays are probably our busiest days! So I wait for the call mondzy....nothing I call them tuesday.....he nkt available......I get a call wefnesday from a disgruntelled manager basically telling me its my fault I booked two rooms (even thiugh they were in different names) and thatbany issues with the rooms shoukd have been brought to his attention while we were staying there! (Which we did but no management were there to sort them)

Overalll just dont stay here do not waste your money! It is terrible avoid at all risk!

Room Tip: Avoid at all times
3 Thank TerryPF
Thank you for the review and we are deeply concerned about all you comments and we are dealing with it seriously. Wet spot was with the spot cleaning on the carpet but we will ensure it is not let untill it is dry. Sorry once again and look forward to see you again.

Travellers are raving about these Eastbourne hotels

Gillingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We came down to join our family and friends originally as a day out but decided to stay the night. They must have seen us coming.. We were charged an extortionate amount for what i can only describe as a rip off. Evening meal was tiny. Roast pork? literally a slice with a dribble of gravy. No stuffing and a sideplate of mixed vedge between 2 - fight for the roasters.We were given 2 rooms supposedly on the same floor but we got lost in the maze of the 3rd floor. Oh did i forget to mention the broken lift? had there been any kind of emergency I dread to think how we would have got out. Our room had a shoe box -no window for a bathroom. plug socket hanging off the wall and no toileteries. After the disco i stripped off for my shower only to find it didnt work. picked up phone to call reception. guess what it didnt work. I had to send my young daughter down 3 flights of stairs at 11 0clock at night. Not acceptable. my daughters in the other room had no sleep due to the racket from a bird which had made a nest on the windowsill which meant sleeping in an oven as you couldnt open it. Arrived down for breakfast poor waitresses running ragged unable to serve everyone. The milk turned to brown lumps before our eyes. horrified waitress promised us fresh coffee. Gave up after a 25minute wait. After hanging around to speak to the manager. A man arrived who described himself as the "manager but not supposed to be working" (something else that didnt work?) he listened and said he would speak to the board of directors and call me back the next day. Its been a week - still waiting. The one positive is the poor barman/porter/waiter who bent over backwards to try and help... when we could find him. Happy hour advertised at 5-7. very clever as noone is around to serve you at that time. All in all I am dissappointed with what potentially could be a lovely place to stay if the management would do their job and properly staff this place. I would seriously encourage you NOT to book this hotel unless you have money to throw away.

4 Thank Paula K
Kayum A, General Manager at The Strand Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for your valuable reviews and i am sorry for the inconvenience. I have just taken over this Hotel few weeks before and i can assure you that we are taking every step possible to improve on the standards. I have looked at all the issues raised and are dealt with seriously. I would be happy to welcome you again and i am confident that you will see the difference.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed here whist holidaying with my mother. Ive stayed in a lot of cheap and sometimes trashy hotels in my time but this really went the extra mile for a slum.
We had paid extra to have our evening meal included. Wish we never bothered. Considering it is a limited menu, half the time our food came out wrong or over/under cooked. For two days we were served cold coffee, and on one day even managed to find some strange floating brown thing in it.
The hotel is seriously understaffed. Our waitress Marie was lovely and helpful but running around after 30+ guests all who had to be fed at the set times must of been hard work.
I found staying with my mother in a twin room extremely cramped. the bathroom door was just a sliding glass shield so offered no privacy. Especially since there was a mirror positioned right in front of it. The lamp in our room didn't work and I managed to brake my phone charger as the plugs were situated behind my bed.
The manager was hardly around and seemed to leave the barman Steve o do all his work for him. On one of the brief times I did see him, another guest was complaing to him and when they left he started laughing slagging them off to myself and other guests.
To top it all the fire alarm went off at 2.30 in the morning of our last night. The next morning when I complained to the staff on the front desk I was told that I should of ignored it assuming it was a false alarm and gone back to sleep.

I found the whole place to be un-professional and run down such a shame as my mum had spent months looking forward to her holiday.

5 Thank Carleane T
Thank you for your review and my apology for the inconvenience. I have spoken to the chef and staff and can assure you that we have looked at the staffing issue and we have dealt with all your concern. I can assure you that you will find a difference in your next visit.
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Having stayed here for a couple of cheap nights to attend a wedding, this is the most difficult review I've ever written. It is certainly astonishingly over-named, extremely tired, old-fashioned and every bit the classic English seafront hotel. Some of the other reviews have listed the bad points of this hotel, and unfortunately there are not a few. Some are not exaggerated. The lift to the room was a sort of pre-historic contraption not for the faint hearted (or the oversized!). The carpets were pretty grim, the room phenomenally narrow, and the bathroom ventilated by a remarkably ingenious hole in the shower ceiling.

The problem is once I stopped giggling, I rather loved the place, and it has plenty of good points too. With the exception of the carpet, the room was clean, especially the bedding and bathroom. They even had a go at some towel sculptures! I had a sea view (not herds of wildebeest!) and it was very pleasant indeed. Parking was easy - directly opposite. Breakfast was freshly prepared to order and very good. There are plenty of four star hotels that fail dramatically in this area, so tip o' the hat here.

Above all else, the staff were superb, especially the young waiting staff at breakfast and the extremely patient barman who served a very creditable and good value hotel pint. This is not an exciting place to work, but they were genuinely doing their best to care for the customer. Management of this hotel take note - these guys are your best recommendation - if you could get the building up to their standards, you'll get a lot more good reviews.

It should be noted that this is the kind of seafront hotel where a coach decants about fifty more senior members of the public into the building and leaves them there for a couple of days. When I walked into the hotel bar, I made quite a reduction to the average age. There was a live "turn" every night, of variable quality. You could either enjoy the singing or grin at it. Either way, good fun. I should also point out that all the other guests, more than double my age on average, were thoroughly enjoying themselves - and why not! They were also good company.

Tip of the day: Find your way to the Seeracha Thai restaurant. It was first class.

So how do I rate this hotel? It should have a two, but I just can't do it. You wouldn't want a week here, but I think everyone should stay here once, if only for the stories you can tell. It's staff alone deserve a higher rating overall. Also, if you score a hotel on being memorable and enjoyable, then this place is well worth a punt. It was very reasonable to stay here and the old line "you get what you pay for" should be remembered. Don't expect a "Hilton" or any great luxury - be prepared to go with the flow, and relax. I doubt I'll be rushing back, but I'm glad I chose it. So I'm going with a three but really you should read the good and the bad and make your own call. If you bump into Benny Hill while you're there, give him my best!

Room Tip: Sea front rooms available - some with bay windows
3 Thank Lambsie_the_Wanderer
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I booked this hotel thru Hotel.com site and stayed there for 1 night with my husband and daughter.
Service of this hotel is average. Staff are average, food is pathetic. Location is good. Rooms are dam cold and problem of hot water and room heater.
We waited for 2 hrs to get a staff and check the washroom hot water supply. In the night and early morning no staff available at the reception.
Average hotel at average price, not value for money.

Room Tip: Avoid taking city view room, pathetic view and direct sun light in the bed comes.
Birmingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed very recently and there is only one good thing about this hotel that would be the lovely barman who went out of his way and job description to help me and my husband with our stay. The service he provided made up for the shambles that they call a restaurant. There is a certain lady who calls herself manageress in the restaurant who is rude blunt and aragont Plus too old to be a waitress. The room was nice warm and cosy and the entertainment was brilliant. I would recommend to anyone just dont eat as the waiting staff have no clue on what they are doing. Sack them all and back bring in staff with good English skills. Other than that it was good

• Stayed June 2014