The Strand Hotel
Shore View Hotel(Eastbourne)
US$53
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 44% below average rates

The price you found is 44% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$94/night.

Cavendish Hotel(Eastbourne)
Free cancellation until 03/06
US$51
Savings alert! 37% below average rates

The price you found is 37% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$81/night.

Free cancellation until 30/05
US$135
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$167/night.

Best Western York House Hotel(Eastbourne)(Great Value!)
US$83
US$72
  • Pool
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$82/night.

The Grand Hotel Eastbourne(Eastbourne)
Free cancellation until 31/05
US$281
US$256
The View Hotel(Eastbourne)(Great Value!)
US$67
Savings alert! 37% below average rates

The price you found is 37% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$106/night.

Free cancellation until 01/06
US$73
US$71
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$82/night.

US$53
US$50
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 37% below average rates

The price you found is 37% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$79/night.

US$189
US$183
Best Western Lansdowne Hotel(Eastbourne)(Great Value!)
US$178
US$154
Priceline
  • Beachfront
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 June 2014

From outside it looks like a lovely hotel. Don't be fooled! Inside, you enter a 'refurbished' hall containing a green, half filled fish tank that smells.
On receiving our key, we went to our room. We were appalled! The toilet door didn't close, the wash hand basin was too small to use to wash faces. Forget about filling up the kettle, we had to use a cup. There were no hooks or shelves in the bathroom for towels and toiletries, so we had to keep these outside the broken door. The wardrobe door did not open as the bed was so big it was too close to the door. It meant that we could not move comfortably around the room.
The curtains were incorrectly hung so we could not close them properly. We paid for a room with 2 single beds and ended up with a king size that was far too large to fit in the room.
The room was shabby - to say the least.
The dining room felt as if you were in a dungeon. However, we did have the option of eating upstairs for an extra charge, which was for the sea view! I would rate the food as 1/2 as we ate out the whole time. I don't think the coffee and teapots had ever been cleaned.
We asked for a change of room and we were told to come back 3 days later as the hotel was full. Luckily we only stayed for four.
If you've booked, get your money back NOW!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank K T
Kayum A, General Manager at The Strand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Sorry for the Inconvenience and we are concerned about your reviews. We have already started the work and the necessary measures are being taken to improve

Reviewed 6 June 2014

When we were told to pay in full on arrival, my alarm bells were ringing. We were given the 'drying room' for starters, which must have been next to the hotels boiler room. The heat was intense, like a jungle prison cell. My partner was in tears from the start. We decided to pop out and sort the issue later. After an unpleasant stroll around the time capsule that is Eastbourne, we returned to demand that we were moved to a more temperate room. This was better, although looked like it had been decorated by a blind person in a hurry! The next morning we thought we'd try and retrieve some value from the included breakfast. After being served some fruit, we then sat for over 20 minutes without being served or even spoken to by the staff. Sometimes its best to cut your losses, we left, hungry and annoyed that places like this are allowed to stay open

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank matt s
Kayum A, General Manager at The Strand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Sorry to know that you did not have an enjoyable stay in Eastbourne. We have taken your comments seriously and training is in progress to ensure every guest is dealt with efficiently.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

OUR HOLIDAY BASED AT THE ROYAL PARADE HOTEL 19 MAY ROOM 124
I used to watch the sitcom called Fawlty towers on the TV. Little did I realise that we would be involved in a remake of this after booking the above holiday at the above hotel.
We were given a room which was very small with 2 single beds (our mistake) so we asked for an upgrade to a double bedded room. We were, having paid an extra £40 shown the room and accepted it. As we moved in we noticed that the curtains wouldn’t pull together as one side was hanging from the rail and the other would only pull so far. One of the curtain linings were badly ripped. Leaving us with a lot of light early A M. We reported the problem but were left with one immovable curtain.
The shower/toilet extractor fan (also in room 126) did not work atall despite us reporting it several times. Tiling was in a very poor state and the room was so small you had a job to wash properly. Other budget hotels we have been in have been good.
Going down to dinner in the basement was a gulag experience. At the top of the stairs there was a hole in the wall with live wires protruding and covered with a small piece of polythene. The wires should have been secured with a connector block inside a junction box and screwed to the wall.
On entering the basement restaurant, for first evening meal, we were directed to a corner table at the back. There were no vents or natural air circulation as it was a dead end and it was hot and humid. Trunking should have carried forced air to the back of the room. The ceiling fans mounted on the chandeliers only stirred the air. 50% of the light bulbs were missing or dud and needed replacement. The kitchen doors were dirty and had no kick panels.
We were told that we could not sit at the other more airy end of the restaurant but we demanded that we wanted to be moved. They moved us under protest. On the first evening dinner we asked for more bread rolls but we were refused (Oliver Twist “ more porridge please?” No!). ------ What? We had a glass of water each only and after that we had to get our own water as there was a shortage of staff.
Arriving for breakfast, we found the bowls with cornflakes, grapefruit and prunes were piled up one above the other compressing the contents. Goodness knows how dirty the bottoms of the bowls were. Tea at the first breakfast was served after 39 mins of waiting and asking 4 times. Milk was served in dirty teapots. We had to beg for extra milk as well as extra potatoes at the evening meal.
On top of the bay windows outside of our windows, were fluorescent domestic light fittings rested upside down to light the front of the building. These have no IP ratings atall and the wiring was not armoured and waterproof. This, if they are used they were a fire hazard.
I was Exeter College engineer for 15 years. My job was to maintain and repair all the electronic equipment and was also responsible for safety ad PAT testing. We have photos available.
The upgrade was a joke. We demand the £40 back. This debacle will go on Trip Advisor and other review sites as a holiday to avoid unless you want a Fawlty towers experience!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ARTHUR B
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

After arriving we checked in to a room that was to put it mildly like a sauna. It was cold outside so there was no excuse. A fan was in the room that was covered in dust and cobwebs, when I called reception they said they didn't know why the room was so hot and it wasn't normally a problem (obviously it was hence the fan) I asked to move rooms and was told there wasn't any available, then I went to reception and magically a room became available, went to the new room (no fan?!??) the room was shoddy, terrible paintwork, dirty and smelly. Went for breakfast and was told to sit downstairs because there was no room, went downstairs and was sat next to the kitchen doors which proceeded to wack in to my bag every time the kitchen staff opened it. Then we was asked if we wanted a coffe and then we were just left for over 20 minutes sitting there trying to get a waiters attention. In the end we couldn't wait any longer so we left. I went to reception to complain and was told the manager was driving and he would call back. Since this time 2 weeks ago I have left 9 yes 9 messages and have still not recieved a call back!!!! Avoid this place at all costs!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank daisymcc
Kayum A, General Manager at The Strand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Sorry for the inconvenience caused and i am sure we spoke and resolved the issue. We are going through lots of changes and i am sure you will have an enjoyable stay with us next time.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Like the rest of the reviews dont waste your money staying here!!

we stayed for one night, a treat from my kother who didnt look on here prior to booking. My girlfriend and I arrived to a "tired" building but it was ok nice to be away for a night.

We arrived and checked in around 11am nice to get an early check in....oh the check in was a "hello!" That was it no what is your name no mention of where the room or breakfast was no asking if we needed hand with luggage or news paper or wakeup call, the stuff you take for granted in a two star hotel.

My mother then went to check in....her room had a wet spot on the carpet, she was not happy with this therefore went to tell the receptionist who was quite happy to change her room and gave her a new key card.......mother then traipsed to her next room to open the door and find....me and my girlfriend there!! (Luckily I was watching some sport on tv and my girlfriend reading otherwise could have been rather embarrassing.)

Mum wanders back downstairs wondering when the farce would end, over hearing in the lift, made for three people, that she was not the only one for this to happen to.

mum finally gets her new room with a sea view that should be ....wait for it £10 .......yes £10 extra! Her room was smaller then her first and like previous comments no opening window.

Our window opened but we had to wedge a shoe in it as it would not stay open! My girlfriend said the shower was a wet cold drip, I chose to avoid the dissapointment! Breakfast was ok....except the staff could do with a wakeup call not be walking round like zombies.....NOW THE SO CALLED MANAGER

Iexpained on the saturday night of my stay that I would like to speak to A manaver on the sundaybmorning the helpful lady said ok no problem.... I come down early sunday morning and explain to the lady on reception I would like to speak to a manager after breakfast around 8 am she said he will arrive around 9 am...... I finish breakfast around 8.30am and guess what still no manager. The receptionist calls the manager to be told its my day off there are no managers there on sunday morning!! Being in the trade this is ridiculous as sundays are probably our busiest days! So I wait for the call mondzy....nothing I call them tuesday.....he nkt available......I get a call wefnesday from a disgruntelled manager basically telling me its my fault I booked two rooms (even thiugh they were in different names) and thatbany issues with the rooms shoukd have been brought to his attention while we were staying there! (Which we did but no management were there to sort them)

Overalll just dont stay here do not waste your money! It is terrible avoid at all risk!

Room Tip: Avoid at all times
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank TerryPF

Thank you for the review and we are deeply concerned about all you comments and we are dealing with it seriously. Wet spot was with the spot cleaning on the carpet but we will ensure it is not let untill it is dry. Sorry once again and look forward to see you again.