“appalled”
Review of The Strand Hotel

The Strand Hotel
Ranked #39 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I would love to be able to write a review of this hotel, but cannot. Thankfully I logged on to trip advisor and saw the review from the person who had been cancelled at short notice (thank you Adester1 !) seing other recent, bad reviews I contacted the hotel to confirm we would be arriving tomorrow, only to be told that Late rooms had cancelled the booking. I contacted late rooms, and their booking was still live. "perhaps there has been a mistake" so they rang the hotel on my behalf to be met by a barrage of abuse from the new manager who informed them that I had cancelled the booking myself. However they were unable to provide proof of this cancellation. Not surprising because it never happened. Thank goodness I did not drive the 5 hours down there to find this out. A very busy airshow weekend in Eastbourne, so perhaps they have sold the room for more money? I booked in January, taken time off work and been looking forward to it all year. Gutted, disgusted and upset.

5  Thank scipio777

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Came here for 'afternoon tea' and it was awful from start to finish. The food was inedible, the staff were nowhere to be seen and very unprofessional. They sat us in a conservatory where all of the smoke from outside was blowing in, making us feel sick, waiter then came in and asked us what sandwiches we wanted- the bread was hard, with huge amounts of butter on and then cheap, thin ham somewhere in the middle. The cake was hard too and had weird marks on the top (we didn't even bother trying to eat it) and the scones were microwaved to within an inch of their lives so when we picked it up it just fell apart. The cream was also warm!!

I wouldn't have eaten it even if it was free. Horrendous experience.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jamie C
Reviewed 17 August 2014

The most frightening thing about this hotel was the plaque behind reception saying that it had been awarded "Most Improved Hotel 2013"!! The worst thing wasn't the green mould around the bathroom edges and the windows, but the floorboards which easily qualify as being the noisiest I have ever encountered. The tiny sink was amazing for the angle and spray capacity of its cold tap - it should certainly carry a warning that trying to fill the kettle would likely result in drenched trousers. Must say in its favour that the sheets and crockery were clean and the kettle worked well. Can't believe its a Hilton!

2  Thank Jon C
Reviewed 13 August 2014

first time i been to Eastbourne, shame about the pier burning down,nice large town
to walk around could do with a make over,a bit run down.I could not fine much to do but I was only
there for two day.I found a nice CIU club and they where very friendly,
THE HOTEL not bad clean and tidy ,the bar closes to early not good,and a bit noisy at night,
Food not bad breakfast ok, dinner needs more choose, Manager a bit grumpy.?.

Room Tip: ask for sea view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank FONZE_13
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Very disappointed with this hotel.

My Wife & I had booked a 2 night stay over the weekend of 15th & 16th August, in order to meet up with family over the Eastbourne Air show weekend. Our family does not get together often & we were looking forward to a family get-together with our elderly Mother.

Just a few weeks before our stay, we were sent an e-mail telling us that our booking had been cancelled "due to our refurbishment plans". When I complained & told them that we would be unlikely to find alternative accommodation at such a late stage, the reply came back "due to new management takeover the hotel is currently undergoing essential refurbishment so we are not able to accommodate you at this time".

We are very disappointed, as we've not had a booking cancelled by a hotel before & now I can't book anywhere else within the local area.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Adester1
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Have just returned from a friday - sunday weekend stay. My husband and I have never stayed in such an appalling place whic the owners seem deemed to call the HILTON ROYAL PARADE .
Well you know when you first walk through a door that this definitely is a bad idea.
Our room was awful, toilet and so called shower in a wardrobe in the wall, the toilet leaked, and the shower had definetely seen better days. The bed although clean was very small in fact I think the tv was possibly bigger, but even then that did not work properly, the window was filthy and we were suprised that the quests on the windowsill outside had not already complained but I expect that was because they couldn't get inside because of the amount of droppings on the sill, it gets worse there was an awful smell of damp but perhaps that was because the wall by the window was covered in mould, the carpet was filthy, infact the whole hotel room was a disgrace. We may not have paid a fortune for the weekend but we really did expect more than they offered.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maureen C
Reviewed 9 August 2014

had a five day coaching holiday staying at the royal hilton parade. entertainment was fine for hotel , our room was very small could have been cleaner evening meal was ok but not much choice, self service breakfast made up for it. the barman steven worked very hard being on is own with two coach parties to deal with not getting much help from the duty manager fenelon de souza who found to be quite abrupt on one ocassion telling staff off not in a nice way infront of guests not very professional. would i stay there again very unlikely,there again staying in a two star hotel can't expect five star treatment.

1  Thank thomas_r681385