“My holiday”
Review of The Strand Hotel

The Strand Hotel
Ranked #39 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Good value for money. I went with my disabled club and we all loved it. The entertainment in the evening was amazing really good. The staff couldn't of been more friendly. Lastly, the views are magnificent.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 23 August 2014

If you want a dirty oubliette that stinks of wet dog and cigarette smoke this is the hotel for you.
Hostages have been kept in better conditions than this, luckily I was only marooned here one miserable night, in a box above the bar where it was a geriatric sing-song at a level where they could comfortably turn down the volume on their hearing aids. I will probably have to scrub myself in the shower for a week to rid myself of the smell in order to stop dogs from following me. Hard to believe that standards like this exist in the 21st century.

• Stayed: August 2014
6  Thank kayakuk
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Mouldy grout in shower, tiny sink , toilet flush faulty, lukewarm water, lampshade missing, dirty lightshade, filthy Windowsill and frame , musty smell. Toilet in whatcan only describe as a cupboard shower in another cupboard. Have stayed many budget hotels but never stayed in a room as bad as this .

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank roy h
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We booked a 3 night stay with UK Breakaways and read reviews before going and was pleasantly surprised to find the hotel better than expected. Admittedly the place is a bit tired and some places like the bedroom, corridors and restaurant floor were not clean but the beds were ok and the food acceptable throughout the stay. The restaurant staff were particularly attentive and the service was good. The room (214) was a bit poky with pigeons waking us up early morning and after I fixed the aerial and retuned the tv we were able to get a decent picture. Not sure i would stay here for a holiday but ideal value for the airshow when most hotels are fully booked.

Room Tip: sea view rooms are bigger and hopefully better when refurbished
1  Thank Barry G
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I would love to be able to write a review of this hotel, but cannot. Thankfully I logged on to trip advisor and saw the review from the person who had been cancelled at short notice (thank you Adester1 !) seing other recent, bad reviews I contacted the hotel to confirm we would be arriving tomorrow, only to be told that Late rooms had cancelled the booking. I contacted late rooms, and their booking was still live. "perhaps there has been a mistake" so they rang the hotel on my behalf to be met by a barrage of abuse from the new manager who informed them that I had cancelled the booking myself. However they were unable to provide proof of this cancellation. Not surprising because it never happened. Thank goodness I did not drive the 5 hours down there to find this out. A very busy airshow weekend in Eastbourne, so perhaps they have sold the room for more money? I booked in January, taken time off work and been looking forward to it all year. Gutted, disgusted and upset.

5  Thank scipio777
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Came here for 'afternoon tea' and it was awful from start to finish. The food was inedible, the staff were nowhere to be seen and very unprofessional. They sat us in a conservatory where all of the smoke from outside was blowing in, making us feel sick, waiter then came in and asked us what sandwiches we wanted- the bread was hard, with huge amounts of butter on and then cheap, thin ham somewhere in the middle. The cake was hard too and had weird marks on the top (we didn't even bother trying to eat it) and the scones were microwaved to within an inch of their lives so when we picked it up it just fell apart. The cream was also warm!!

I wouldn't have eaten it even if it was free. Horrendous experience.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jamie C
Reviewed 17 August 2014

The most frightening thing about this hotel was the plaque behind reception saying that it had been awarded "Most Improved Hotel 2013"!! The worst thing wasn't the green mould around the bathroom edges and the windows, but the floorboards which easily qualify as being the noisiest I have ever encountered. The tiny sink was amazing for the angle and spray capacity of its cold tap - it should certainly carry a warning that trying to fill the kettle would likely result in drenched trousers. Must say in its favour that the sheets and crockery were clean and the kettle worked well. Can't believe its a Hilton!

2  Thank Jon C