“Alright for a few days”

Ranked #24 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Alright for a few days”
Reviewed 1 June 2008

My inlaws celebrated their 50th anniversary by graciously paying the lodging costs for four days in Llandudno for their kids, partners, and grandkids. Despite the windy weather, I must say that the town will definitely get another visit by me.

Specifically about the hotel: It was easy enough to find, on the main sea front road. Parking access was at the back. While not quite enough spots for all cars, it did have a leg up on neighbouring hotels/bb's where residents were forced to park on the road and pay at the meter.

The back courtyard is basically an extension of the parking area, complete with rotted wood and an old garage. It's a shame, because there is some fancy patio furniture set out, obviously with the purpose of enticing a sit outside. I wouldn't have been enticed.

An obviously new lift has been installed that allows parking level to third flood access. It's no more than 20 feet from the back entrance. This is a nice touch for older folk.

As our relatives had already managed to finagle our key, there was no need to check into reception, but more on that in a bit. The room, on the highest floor was nice. The furniture (Ikea type) was in good condition, beds and bed linens acceptable. Mostly well cleaned except for some major dust on a stool that I think doesn't often get pulled out from under a desk. Some minor black discolouring of bathroom silicone. We had a bath, no shower, but with two young kids who much preferred this, we could live with it.

Breakfast in the morning was average to decent, though with young and possibly new staff, it seemed a bit of a comical show trying to get what you ordered. 90% of us ordered the standard full breakfast, yet the meals seemed to come at odd times and the waitress couldn't remember who had what. We're easygoing, and such a thing didn't ruin our time. Perhaps a more disappointing feature of the large dining area was that houseflies seemed to get into the windows and die. While the staff seemed to try to keep on top of vacuuming up the dead flies every day, they were on days forgotten and to prevent my own kids from playing with the "raisins with wings", I had to collect up the bugs in a napkin. I know for some, this would have been incredibly disgusting. Oddly, but I assume due to the space availability, the pool table is next to the dining area.

There are two lounges, one a bit fancier than the other. At first glance they're okay, but a closer inspection reveals that the old-style fabric furniture is getting tatty and needs throwing out. Wallpapering and painting seemed DIY all over. Again, not deal breakers for us, as the TVs worked...though didn't quite get all channels. On the subject, there seemed an eclectic variation of in-room TVs. Some had DVD players, some Freeview. In this day and age, the expense of DVD + Freeview should have allowed for this in the lounges and rooms.

The staff were okay, some very friendly. They could have used uniforms in my opinion. The bar prices were very reasonable. I noticed, not far from the bar was reception. A little tiny desk with paperwork visible for all to see. We never needed to use the reception desk, but it didn't seem to be properly defined.

I suppose the best thing was that walking out the front door put you essentially on the sea front. For a two star hotel, I think that we got what we expected. I will probably try for a three or four star next time, but I would stay again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — tired decor and DIY fixes
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank E J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)