“Fabulous”
Review of Merrion Hotel

Merrion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I have just come back from a turkey & tinsel weekend. What a lovely hotel, right on the seafront all dressed up for christmas which made it special. Fabulous people that run the hotel who went the extra mile and couldn't do enough for you. Food was exceptional with 17 choices of desserts, never seen that before. Rooms were very clean and bed comfy too. Entertainment was brilliant. Top marks all round.

Room Tip: You must ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Shan886
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

How very nice of you to be so complimentary, T&T breaks are great fun, every arrives in a party mood and has a great time. Glad you enjoyed the food and that the staff looked after you well.
Have a great Christmas, see you in 2014.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

me and mum go a couple of times a year she has been going for 25 years or so,its always great. the food is just simply amazing. get a sea view room it was a lovely week so the views are great always have such a laugh with brian behind the bar he works so hard, and joe the comedian, ian to. my mum is 82 and even she got up to dance thankyou the merrion.

Room Tip: get a sea veiw room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Thank you very much for your review, great to see you and your Mum again, I will pass on your compliments to Brian and Jo, I know they will appreciate it. See you in 2014.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

The hotel itself has a great location overlooking the beach, and in general the hotel and staff are very pleasant. i booked direct with the hotel via email and a phone call many months ago. Myself and my 2 little girls, and my parents, looked forward to a short break away in a nice hotel with nice food. For the most that is what we got, HOWEVER, what they neglected to tell me, is that the hotel was taken over by a Turkey and tinsel coach tour, a specific break, whereby the hotel was themed for christmas. We arrived on "christmas day" and while the food was nice enough, we did not book this hotel for a christmas themed break, or for a christmas dinner, which was pretty much the only main course on offer that 1st night (aside from 1 other dish)...even my 2 young children were confused as to why we were sat down for christmas dinner complete with christmas crackers. My dad went to enquire at reception and apparently the staff were in agreement that this indeed must be quite odd to us as they assumed we were part of the Turkey and tinsel break! the next day was then "boxing day" and while there was more variety on the menu thankfully, the whole trip was most bizarre, and had we been informed at the time of booking, or updated after booking that this was going to be happening, we definitely would have booked elsewhere.....and as other reviewers have mentioned, they really need to do something about the lift situation...my mum who is on crutches, often had to wait a long time to get up or down in the lift.....

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank greecegirlBolton
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you for your recent review, I am very sorry you were not informed that the hotel is in full Christmas mode at the moment, as indeed are most of the larger hotels in Llandudno in November/December, I will talk with the reception staff and make sure guests are informed fully in the future.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

This is my second stay this year at this splendid family run hotel.
All the staff are friendly and really make you feel welcome as soon as you enter reception to book in. Reception staff Manwella, Jamey and Vicky are always cheerful and want to make your stay a wonderful experience. Brian and Neil who work on the bar are always happy and cheerful and like to have a chat to guests.
Merrion, and the restaurant staff are also very cheerful when you enter the dining room for meals.
Bedrooms are always very clean and comfortable and warm.
Regards the parking I have always been able to park when staying at this hotel whether it has been at the side of the hotel or in the hotel car park.
Food is excellent so much so that it is very hard to decide what to chose as they offer such a wide variety of choices.
The entertainment is also excellent in this hotel each evening after dinner especially Ian.
If you have not tried this hotel I strongly recommend that you do.
The owners of this hotel work very hard to make sure all their guests enjoy their stay.
I stay at this hotel as a single person and I can truly say I would never stay at any other hotel in Llandudno since I found this one.
Gren who is the handyman at the hotel is also very friendly and if you have a problem in your room if you let reception know they will soon ask Gren to have a look so he can fix the problem.
Many thanks to everyone for making my stay so wonderful yet again and I look forward to seeing you all again in March 2014.

Room Tip: I have found all the rooms in this hotel very comfortable. Room 301 which I stayed in a few weeks a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Margaret W
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Dear Guest.
I am delighted you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for all your positive comments.
All the staff and management in the hotel work very hard to ensure we provide the best possible holiday for you, I will pass on your comments to the individual staff mentioned.
Gren who is in charge of day to day maintenance will be particularly pleased as I don't think he has ever been mentioned before.
Many thanks

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Having recently been advised that my husband is terminally ill we decided to book a long weekend away (3 nights) while my husband is still strong enough and having perused the hotels available, chose to stay at the Merrion Hotel, one reason being the car parking facility, which is always a plus, and the fact that it had a lift, as my husband is unable to walk far without getting breathless, advising on the special request form the reason for our stay.
Words could not express how disappointed we were when we were given a room (219) at the back of the hotel with a view of roofs and cars, (I do understand that not every request can be met and that some people will be given back rooms and some will be given sea view rooms) however having expressed my disappointment to the Receptionist (I could have cried) and asking if it would, at some time during our stay, it be possible to be moved to a sea view room, especially as this would be our last break away, I was told that as we had booked with Late Rooms.com that this was the only room available? and that it would not be possible to move us either that night or for the rest of our stay, with the Receptionist adding that, 'if it was up to her she would give us the best room in the hotel'!!!! I did however watch people leaving the sea view rooms and also saw other guests arriving and being given these rooms. They obviously hadn't booked with Late Rooms.com.
As for the room itself it was extremely clean and comfortable, the only down side being the 'constant creaking' from the floor boards in the room above, which woke us up on a couple of occasions.
As for the 'car park', maybe it should be made clear that the 'offsite car park' is in fact a 'lockup' around the corner with spaces for about 15 cars, (bearing in mind there are 65 rooms in the hotel) resulting in guests, as I don't believe it was only myself, having to resort to parking their cars on the roadside and then leaving the hotel before 9.00am the next morning to purchase a parking ticket in order to avoid being booked, all for an additional cost?
With regards to the Lift, although there is a lift it has capacity for four people at one time, again bearing in mind that there are 65 rooms, which on many occasions caused guests to queue in the corridor, and bearing in mind that the majority of guests were aged in their late sixties early seventies, it was extremely frustrating, and I did on one occasion witness an extremely elderly gentleman attempting to come down the stairs carrying a holdall in one hand and grasping hold of the stair rail with the other. Had it not have been for the assistance of a young lady at the bottom of the stairs this could have resulted in a nasty fall, the gentleman himself informing me that he had just had two knee replacement operations.
Finally, being informed that check out was at 11.00am, from 9.00am onwards we were constantly bombarded by the girls, who were cleaning the rooms, even after we had informed them on the second occasion, (the girl having let herself into the room) that we would not be leaving until 11.00am, as we were leaving that day and didnt expect our room would be cleaned by them until after our departure, leading to us eventually leaving an hour earlier as it seemed to make no difference whatsoever what we said and not being able to relax we decided we might as well leave earlier, which we did.
On the plus side, the restaurant staff were lovely, very efficient and the food was extremely good.
On hindsight, bearing in mind the cost, £90 per night, I would probably have opted to stay at the Grand Hotel up the road, as it couldn't possibly have been any worse an experience and was only half the price, but I believe that you get what you pay for, however on this occasion, sadly I was wrong.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank HippychicCheshire
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2013

Dear HippChicCheshire.
I am sorry to read from your review that you were disappointed in your recent stay, you were informed when you booked that you would be in a rear room, as you booked just prior to arrival this was the only room we had available. We cannot simply turn people out of a front room because you want their room, guests book long in advance to secure the rooms they want for their holidays. It is not a reflection of whether guests book with late rooms or not, it is simply a matter of the hotel being full.
Our car park is around the corner from the hotel, it has 20 spaces and we also have 7 spaces to the side and rear of the hotel, yes I would like more but this is vastly more car parking than most hotels in Llandudno have.
I am sorry that in the sad circumstances we were not able to fulfil your expectations. please accept our sincere apologies.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed two nights at the Merrion and very much enjoyed our short break. We had originally booked in for B&B but decided to have dinner there the first night and had no regrets in making that decision, the food was wonderful.....we dined there the next night too. All the staff we met were very pleasant and helpful and we found no fault with our room (no.125) which was one of those with a balcony. I don't know if the ones with bay windows are larger but ours was more than adequate for our needs. The weather had turned cold and very windy the day we arrived but we were determined to use that balcony whatever !! Hotel bathrobes would have come in handy as we forgot to pack ours, but that is a minor quibble.

Room Tip: In any sea front hotel I would always opt for one with a sea view and it's no exception here to...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Thank you for writing your review, I am pleased you enjoyed the meals in the restaurant on both nights, the front rooms are by far the most popular, we encourage guests to book well in advance to secure the ideal room. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Regards
Paul Bream

Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed at the Merrion 6th-9th Sept,Having been to some rather dodge hotels in Llandudno we did not know what to expect.But I must say we were very impressed with everything.big room 319, sea view,excellent food( very large portions) The Entertainment was Very good,we even had a Dance & Jive.not bad for 2 76 year olds HA HA We would definitely go again

Room Tip: any room facing the sea
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Harry C
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Thank you for your recent review, we are always pleased to welcome new as well as returning guests to the Merrion. I hope you will come ans see us again in the near future.
Paul Bream