“How you saved our holiday from being a disaster” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Merrion Hotel

Merrion Hotel
Ranked #26 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Telford, United Kingdom
“How you saved our holiday from being a disaster”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

My husband and I would like to say a big thank you to you all at The Merrion Hotel for saving our Holliday for us we with my sister and brother in law should have stayed in an hotel at Ross O Sea got there didn't no nothing about our bookings they did say they would try and find us some where to stay we came to your Hotel what a welcome from your staff we really enjoyed our week end with you the food was great room comfy and the enterainment was first class thank you once again

Room Tip: Our room was at the back very quite no noise but at the end of it we did have the last two rooms and...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MARILYN M
Hi Marilyn.
Thank you for your review, I am pleased we were able to accommodate you following the disappointment of the hotel in Rhos-on-sea, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Paul Bream

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

We have just been for another lovely few days at The Merrion.
We are pleased to report that the hotel is continuing to provide fantastic service and facilities to discerning customers. Each year the Hotel introduces new improvements to provide extra comfort and enjoyment .
The friendliness and professionalism of the staff is still at the centre of the hotel’s attractions. Nothing is too much trouble for them and they are always there ready to help.
The front of house staff are all well trained and very good at what they do; Reception are always on hand to advise and assist. Mr Jones and the restaurant team as always were friendly, courteous and efficient.
The house staff are very friendly and usually try to service your room when you want it. We have to mention Anya who looked after us so well as because of the inclement weather we spent more time in the room than we would choose to do. Always happy and bubbly Anya helped us forget the dismal weather and we had many laughs together particularly at my attempts to speak Polish. (Cześć Anya Wielkie dzięki za pomoc i rodzaju usługi. Będziemy z powrotem w lipcu. Wiele dzięki Mike & Jan )
You don’t see the kitchen staff but there wonderful food demonstrates there fantastic efforts. So much choice and variety and all at a superb high qulity. The Lamb Shank was absolutely delicious and the Belly Pork too. Well done to all the kitchen staff who provide an amazing menu every day one after the other.
The entertainments were again first class and we thoroughly enjoyed them all, especially Al Diamond – a wonderful entertainer.
Our kind regards to all at the Merrion for helping us enjoy yet another wonderful stay. We will be back in July and hope the weather will be a little better....please !!!

Jan & Mike

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mike L
Hi Mike.
Fantastic review thank you, complete with Polish as well, I am very impressed. I will pass on all your comments to the relative departments and individual members of staff, both Gareth and I are very proud of all the staff, it is a genuine team effort and it is nice to know it is appreciated.
Many thanks
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

fab hotel, excellent food nice rooms we had see view. secure gated parking which is massive bonus. will defo be back x We went for my father in laws 80th and they even sent him a birthday card .will see them again hopefully later in the year .

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hi Alfiebeast.
Thank you for your review, so pleased your father in law enjoyed his 80th with us at the Merrion, we look forward to seeing you later in the year.
Paul Bream
Mold, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Have just returned home, relaxed after another lovely break at this hotel. It's good to know that there are hotels where quality still counts, and 'old-fashioned' ideals like customer care, courtesy, efficiency and professionalism are still considered to be of paramount importance to all staff when dealing with guests.
I am a single traveller and disabled, and all too often in many hotels get treated like a second class citizen, often arriving at a hotel to find that the room I have been allocated is little larger than a broom cupboard, where, if one has the temerity to complain, you are told, 'Well, no-one's ever complained about that room before', and concerns are completely ignored.
At the Merrion, guests' concerns are taken seriously, and, where possible, resolved. On previous visits to the Merrion, - although I travel alone - I have been allocated a lovely double room for single occupancy with a sea view. On my recent visit,I found myself in a smaller room and, because I have difficulty in moving around, I mentioned this in passing at dinner, when Gareth Bream was chatting to diners.In less than five minutes, he was back from reception with the offer to move me to a much larger room with a walk- in shower.
I realise that in a hotel as busy and popular as the Merrion is, such a move would not always have been possible, but thank you Gareth for making my stay even more comfortable than it usually is .
I have already booked my next holiday at the Merrion !
Best wishes to the Bream family and all the staff at this lovely hotel.
Eileen Tunnicliffe

Room Tip: Try for a sea view - and fall asleep to the sound of the waves. Wake up to the sound of seagulls !!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Elinor_13
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Mrs Tunnicliffe.
Thank you for your recent posting, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and that Gareth was able to arrange a move to a more suitable room, we realise how important these things are to guests.
We look forward to seeing you on your next visit in November.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Myself and Mark and our 2 year old little girl Lily and 5 year old very big boy Tom had such a lovely Easter weekend break at the Merrion. The staff were all so lovely, and very welcoming of us and our little ones. The room was spotless and really well set out for a family, allowing for lots of space for night time changes of sleeping arrangements as Tom and Lily both tried out most of the beds each night! The evening entertainment was a real plus, especially on the Saturday night when a very unusual request for a song from the Sound of Music was even catered for. Again this made for some very happy little ones, even if they could only manage to stay awake for the first 15 minutes of the show. The breakfasts were lovely, even for someone who had given up meat for lent, I've never had such a lovely veggie breakfast, but did really tuck into the gorgeous sausages and bacon when it came to Easter Sunday. The little touches like hot cross buns and easter eggs on the big day just show the attention to detail. We've stayed at both the St George's and the Imperial in the last 18 months, but would thoroughly recommend the Merrion to anyone visiting LLandudno.
Angela, Mark, Tom and Lily, Stockport

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Hi Angela B.
Thank you for staying with us over Easter and for the great review, I am so pleased you all enjoyed yourselves and it was nice to have so many children in the hotel.
We always give away Easter eggs to everyone in the hotel over Easter, we think it celebrates the child in all of us, as for hot cross buns, the smell of Cinnamon and mixed spice just makes your mouth water.
Once again thanks for the review and we look forward to seeing you all again soon.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

We have been to merrion lots of times.
Always ask for lower floor I don't use a lift. again got third floor, we have a dog which means im
up and down all day he needs the toilet. I am sixty two years old, we went last march when I took my mom and three sisters. we were given ground floor because mom was disabled I am dreading my stay this year again they promise to help and still heard nothing. sorry merrion this will be our last visit, cant walk those stairs no longer, shame.

Room Tip: Tried to get floor on lower fall, never any luck even though stressing I do not use lifts.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank patricia f
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Patricia f
I am sorry to hear about the problems you experience using lifts, unfortunately some people do suffer from Claustrophobia, please email reception with details of your upcoming booking and I will try and move you to a lower floor if possible.
Stoke on trent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Just back from a 6 night stay at The Merrion...my first...it's a wonderful hotel & ticks so many boxes for us.
On our first night we found our room was far too hot & unable to turn the radiator off, rang reception & Sue, bless her, ran up the stairs to the third floor & immediately moved us to another room where the radiator was off & there were 2 opening windows...at no extra cost too ...as it was a bigger room...so we lost our sea view but gained a cooler room.
Free wifi in the public rooms...ok but would be nice if it was available in the bedrooms too...
But for me the biggest plus was the seating arrangements in the dining room...only on your first night do you wait to be seated...all the tables are numbered & that's your table throughout your stay...so for breakfast & dinner you can seat yourselves ....unlike lots of other hotels where tables are limited & you have to book or queue.....this hotel has enough tables to seat everyone...the staff are amazing too. So helpful & friendly...definitely a credit to the owners of this hotel. Then the food...excellent & plentiful ....the menu is varied throughout the week & there are16 or so sweets to choose from each night....
My dad who is 91 enjoyed every minute of his stay...he especially loved his melon each evening too.
The people staying here ranged in age from young families to very courageous older people who are still able to enjoy life so please don't knock this hotel as it's a wonderful place catering for all ages.
Have booked the Turkey & Tinsel weekend in November...our first but am sure it'll be great fun & company for my dad too.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SheilaStokeontrent
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Hi Sheila.
Thank you very much for you great review, we are delighted to welcome new guests to the Merrion and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay.
I am sorry about your room being too warm, we have installed ECO valves on our radiators which deliver more efficient and energy saving heat to the bedrooms, the process has had a few teething troubles but we think we are on top of them now, however great news that Sue was able to move you to a room you were happy with.
I am delighted you have re-booked for Tinsel and Turkey and we look forward to seeing you all again.