“Excellent Hotel - the best one we've stayed at in Llandudno”
Review of Merrion Hotel

Merrion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We had booked two front facing double rooms, both of which were very clean and nicely fitted out. They had both been refurbished and were pleasantly modern. The beds were comfortable and we were pleased to have duvets rather than blankets - at last a hotel that has moved with the times. The rooms both had flat screen tv sets with good reception.

The restaurant was excellent. Plenty of choice and good service. It was all very nicely cooked and presented, and just the right quantity. This was the best feature of the hotel I feel.

The receptionists were always friendly and helpful and accommodating of our requests.

Parking was limited, but fortunately I managed to park on one of the places at the rear of the hotel. I would say though that the car was covered in seagull droppings by the time we left - but this is not the fault of the hotel, annoying nevertheless!

The prices were excellent and this hotel offers real value for money. All in all an excellent stay and we will come again - definitely!!

2  Thank mkay2013
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Hi Mkay 2013
Great review thank you. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and for all your positive comments. Very sorry about the seagull droppings, the birds use that side of the hotel like the Dam busters, we have a hosepipe for cleaning the cars if it happens again.
Regards

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We have just come back from a weekend staying at this hotel. I read a lot of the reviews so had high hopes but it was a really disappointing experience. We had requested a spacious room with a sea view and preferably a seating area. We didn't get any of these things and the small room was at the back of the hotel without any views. The room was very plain and although it was functional you expect a bit more than just functionality when you stay at a hotel. Also the bed was very uncomfortable because it was so hard. We did ask the receptionist if we could move to a room with a view but were told none of the family rooms had a sea view. We won't be returning.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Angela S S

Hi Anjela SS.
Thank you for your recent review, I am very sorry we did not reach your expectations, we take all complaints seriously and try to learn and improve from the comments given. Whilst I appreciate you will not be visiting us again, I would like to thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

My husband and I would like to say a big thank you to you all at The Merrion Hotel for saving our Holliday for us we with my sister and brother in law should have stayed in an hotel at Ross O Sea got there didn't no nothing about our bookings they did say they would try and find us some where to stay we came to your Hotel what a welcome from your staff we really enjoyed our week end with you the food was great room comfy and the enterainment was first class thank you once again

Room Tip: Our room was at the back very quite no noise but at the end of it we did have the last two rooms and...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MARILYN M
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Hi Marilyn.
Thank you for your review, I am pleased we were able to accommodate you following the disappointment of the hotel in Rhos-on-sea, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We have just been for another lovely few days at The Merrion.
We are pleased to report that the hotel is continuing to provide fantastic service and facilities to discerning customers. Each year the Hotel introduces new improvements to provide extra comfort and enjoyment .
The friendliness and professionalism of the staff is still at the centre of the hotel’s attractions. Nothing is too much trouble for them and they are always there ready to help.
The front of house staff are all well trained and very good at what they do; Reception are always on hand to advise and assist. Mr Jones and the restaurant team as always were friendly, courteous and efficient.
The house staff are very friendly and usually try to service your room when you want it. We have to mention Anya who looked after us so well as because of the inclement weather we spent more time in the room than we would choose to do. Always happy and bubbly Anya helped us forget the dismal weather and we had many laughs together particularly at my attempts to speak Polish. (Cześć Anya Wielkie dzięki za pomoc i rodzaju usługi. Będziemy z powrotem w lipcu. Wiele dzięki Mike & Jan )
You don’t see the kitchen staff but there wonderful food demonstrates there fantastic efforts. So much choice and variety and all at a superb high qulity. The Lamb Shank was absolutely delicious and the Belly Pork too. Well done to all the kitchen staff who provide an amazing menu every day one after the other.
The entertainments were again first class and we thoroughly enjoyed them all, especially Al Diamond – a wonderful entertainer.
Our kind regards to all at the Merrion for helping us enjoy yet another wonderful stay. We will be back in July and hope the weather will be a little better....please !!!

Jan & Mike

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mike L

Hi Mike.
Fantastic review thank you, complete with Polish as well, I am very impressed. I will pass on all your comments to the relative departments and individual members of staff, both Gareth and I are very proud of all the staff, it is a genuine team effort and it is nice to know it is appreciated.
Many thanks

Reviewed 24 May 2014

fab hotel, excellent food nice rooms we had see view. secure gated parking which is massive bonus. will defo be back x We went for my father in laws 80th and they even sent him a birthday card .will see them again hopefully later in the year .

Hi Alfiebeast.
Thank you for your review, so pleased your father in law enjoyed his 80th with us at the Merrion, we look forward to seeing you later in the year.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Have just returned home, relaxed after another lovely break at this hotel. It's good to know that there are hotels where quality still counts, and 'old-fashioned' ideals like customer care, courtesy, efficiency and professionalism are still considered to be of paramount importance to all staff when dealing with guests.
I am a single traveller and disabled, and all too often in many hotels get treated like a second class citizen, often arriving at a hotel to find that the room I have been allocated is little larger than a broom cupboard, where, if one has the temerity to complain, you are told, 'Well, no-one's ever complained about that room before', and concerns are completely ignored.
At the Merrion, guests' concerns are taken seriously, and, where possible, resolved. On previous visits to the Merrion, - although I travel alone - I have been allocated a lovely double room for single occupancy with a sea view. On my recent visit,I found myself in a smaller room and, because I have difficulty in moving around, I mentioned this in passing at dinner, when Gareth Bream was chatting to diners.In less than five minutes, he was back from reception with the offer to move me to a much larger room with a walk- in shower.
I realise that in a hotel as busy and popular as the Merrion is, such a move would not always have been possible, but thank you Gareth for making my stay even more comfortable than it usually is .
I have already booked my next holiday at the Merrion !
Best wishes to the Bream family and all the staff at this lovely hotel.
Eileen Tunnicliffe

Room Tip: Try for a sea view - and fall asleep to the sound of the waves. Wake up to the sound of seagulls !!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Elinor_13
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Mrs Tunnicliffe.
Thank you for your recent posting, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and that Gareth was able to arrange a move to a more suitable room, we realise how important these things are to guests.
We look forward to seeing you on your next visit in November.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Myself and Mark and our 2 year old little girl Lily and 5 year old very big boy Tom had such a lovely Easter weekend break at the Merrion. The staff were all so lovely, and very welcoming of us and our little ones. The room was spotless and really well set out for a family, allowing for lots of space for night time changes of sleeping arrangements as Tom and Lily both tried out most of the beds each night! The evening entertainment was a real plus, especially on the Saturday night when a very unusual request for a song from the Sound of Music was even catered for. Again this made for some very happy little ones, even if they could only manage to stay awake for the first 15 minutes of the show. The breakfasts were lovely, even for someone who had given up meat for lent, I've never had such a lovely veggie breakfast, but did really tuck into the gorgeous sausages and bacon when it came to Easter Sunday. The little touches like hot cross buns and easter eggs on the big day just show the attention to detail. We've stayed at both the St George's and the Imperial in the last 18 months, but would thoroughly recommend the Merrion to anyone visiting LLandudno.
Angela, Mark, Tom and Lily, Stockport

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Hi Angela B.
Thank you for staying with us over Easter and for the great review, I am so pleased you all enjoyed yourselves and it was nice to have so many children in the hotel.
We always give away Easter eggs to everyone in the hotel over Easter, we think it celebrates the child in all of us, as for hot cross buns, the smell of Cinnamon and mixed spice just makes your mouth water.
Once again thanks for the review and we look forward to seeing you all again soon.