“lovely hotel but a few gripes”
Review of Merrion Hotel

and 1 more site!
Merrion Hotel
Ranked #26 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
manchester
“lovely hotel but a few gripes”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I stayed here bank holiday weekend for the first time. My impressions of the hotel were expensive but nice. We had paid extra for a balcony room which in my opinion was well worth it. Room was lovely with en suite shower flat screen tv etc and food and entertainment were good. There is also plenty of entertainment in other places that you can access. We were also able to park in the secured car park at the back which was excellent.

The down side was the noise outside of the room (125) which came from a radiator WHICH WAS VIBRATING FROM DOWNSTAIRS and sounded like a generator. This noise started at 6.30 am and lasted for an hour. I have read a previous review of the hotel posted only 4 weeks ago which mentions this same complaint however, knowing that this happens the Merrion have decided to let this room which is expensive and let the poor unsuspecting clients be subject to this unbearable noise. Before breakfast I complained, it was noted and staff said something would be done about it. In the evening about 11.30 pm it went off again just as I was falling asleep. My partner went downstairs to complain and someone said they would turn the heating off and then it wouldn't happen. I never heard it again. I also think the staff on reception could be better as every question I asked was answered with a Yes even if It didn't apply! On checking out and leaving the hotel and asking what was the procedure for leaving the key for the secured car park I was told to just drop it off in the box on reception. 40 minutes later into our journey home I received a phone call saying I hadn't paid! Although I was given a receipt with deposit amount on and the balance at the check in on arrival. The hotel assumes everyone has been before and just knows the system. Also worth mentioning WIFI does not work in bedrooms which is only a minor problem and didn't matter to me.

Room Tip: A room on the front with a sea view and a balcony is lovely.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank frances25
Hi Frances25.
Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay, I would like to apologise for the noisy radiator outside your room, this was the first morning we have used the heating system for 4 months, I saw the forecast for temperatures dropping to 3 or 4 degrees and decided we needed some heat. Unfortunately we had not had the chance to run the system and bleed any problem radiators, the one outside your room was noisy and I am sorry if it woke you up.
The WiFi is available free of charge in the public areas however due to the stone wall in this Victorian building the signal will not travel up to the rooms, we are looking into the possibility of providing WiFi through the phone line into each bedroom, I am told it may be possible and we are looking into it at this moment.
Thanks for your comments we do take notice and we hope to see you in the future.
Paul Bream.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
North Wales
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We decide to go to Llandudno for an overnight stay on the spur of the moment. we being my 22yo daughter, wife & myself. I managed to book one double & one single room, both of which were located to the rear of the building, so not the best of views but in all honesty we were not there to sit and stare out of the window for the next 24hrs! The rooms were clean and in good condition, ideal for what we wanted for a short stay. We had booked B & B and breakfast in the morning was good with a choice of cereals and fruit juice followed by a full Welsh breakfast.
The Merrion is in a good location on the front, close to the pier & main shopping areas, however parking proved to be a bit of a problem & we resorted to parking some distance away and walking to the hotel. In summary a nice decent hotel with friendly staff.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank daviespsl
Hi DaviesPSL
Great review and thank you for taking the time to tell other travellers about the Merrion, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and for your kind comments about the staff, we are very proud of them, they work very hard and its nice to see it is appreciated.
See you again soon.
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Just returned from a week in Llandudno, wish it could have been longer!
Excellent hotel
Location excellent
Food 5 stars, in a 3 star hotel!
Staff mostly local and first class.
Our bedroom had was a good size with a good sea view.
Service was FIRST CLASS.
Lift needs updating, and why in Wales no Welsh TV stations on TVs in bedrooms for local news?
We WILL RETURN!

Room Tip: Ask for sea view, parking at rear.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Robert.
Thank you for your review, I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, we hope to see you again soon.
Paul Bream.
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

First time staying in Llandudno. A very good experience. Quite a large bedroom, plenty of cupboard & wardrobe space. Beds very clean & comfortable. A very good night sleep, no noise from anywhere else considering we were quite close to the bar & entertainment. Breakfast was more than enough to set you up for the day. Car parking can be a bit of a problem but the hotel has a private car park just around the corner. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone with children as well.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms suitable for disabled visitors.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Hi Ian S.
Thanks for a great review and thank you for staying with us for the first time, parking in Llandudno like everywhere else is a problem, we are fortunate to have parking to the side and rear of the hotel for 6 cars as well as a garage compound for around 20 cars, all provided free of charge. We hope to see you again soon and thank you for your recommendation.
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

This is the third time we have stayed at the Merrion. We are a family with age range from 70 yrs down to 6 yrs and find the hotel suits us all perfectly. The staff are excellent, the location is wonderful for pier, beach and town. Cannot fault management of hotel when we had minor gripe- immediate and personal response. We always highly recommend the Merrion to all our friends for a short family holiday with fabulous food. Thank you again to the Merrion staff for a lovely break.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Hi CE.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay, I am pleased you were happy with the hotel and the service and that the issue you had was dealt with quickly.
We hope to see you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

This was the most expensive hotel we booked on our tour of Wales. Although I had researched on trip advisor it was the most disappointing.
We were I think about 30 years to young (being in 46-50). There was no parking, the room had obviously been a larger one divided into two, we weren't allowed to sit near the windows for breakfast as they were reserved, and they stopped serving dinner at 8pm !!!!
Only good point was the comedian on the Friday night which we watched a bit of and who had me and my husband in stitches.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dancesarah
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Hi Dancesarah.
Thank you for your review, I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with your room, however I would take exception to your criticism of the age group in the hotel, yes many of our guests are retired and in their 60s, 70s and sometimes their 80s, but they are just as entitled to their holidays as well. The situation with tables in the restaurant is that many guests stay for multiple nights and are allocated the same table for all of their meals, we have three bay windows with two tables in each, as much as we would like to give everyone a window table it is not possible. Guests who stay for one night will inevitably sit further away from the sea view.
We do have parking spaces for 30 cars all provided free of charge, this is vastly more than most hotels in Llandudno, however these are on a first come first served basis and not reserved, I am sorry one was not available for you.
Regards
paul Bream.
London
Reviewed 10 August 2014

A friend and I recently stayed at The Merriorn for 9 days on the recommendation of a friend of mine. The staff were plentiful, pleasant and attentive, the food was excellent and the location was perfect and within easy reach of all areas of Llandudno. We did feel, however, that the decor definitely needs updating. Our rooms were clean and comfortable but dull in colour - and the dull colours of brown and beige continued in the bar and dining room areas. It is a very long time too since I have seen a ceiling of polystyrene tiles! (dining room). This is not a criticism, merely an observation and did not spoil what was otherwise a perfect holiday which was helped by the magnificent weather throughout!

Room Tip: We had rooms on the second floor overlooking the bay which I would recommend. There are huge sash...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank ChrinaJ
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you very much for your recent review, I am delighted you enjoyed your holiday with us and that you had the best of the lovely weather.
We have a program of renovation each and every year, this year will include the decoration of bedrooms although with 65 rooms in the hotel we cannot do them all in go.
The ceiling in the restaurant is a suspended tile ceiling typical of what you would find in lots of restaurants, this was installed two years ago to accommodate the Air Conditioning units with are installed throughout the restaurant, this greatly increased the comfort of guests whilst using the restaurant.
We look forward to welcoming you again to the Merrion and once again thank you for choosing us for your holiday.