“Very good hotel”

Ranked #25 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Bury, United Kingdom
“Very good hotel”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

An extremely well situated hotel. Our room was clean, bed comfy, easy to use shower. Our 3 main requirements for a hotel room. It was a little dated though. Next, the food. Superb with an excellent choice.
We had a sea view but had to take turns to see it! Our window was quite small so if it's a sea view you are after then ask for a room with a bay window.
All the staff are helpful, especially in the restaurant.
Evening entertainment on each night of our stay. Different every night.
We wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bay window if wanting a sea view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Hi Sodukufans.
Thank you for posting a review of your recent holiday with us, I am delighted you enjoyed your holiday and appreciate your comments.
General Manger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

Good food at the hotel. 15 choices of desert on the menu.

Waitress are helpful and friendly, however the time between each course is to long.

Reception staff apart from one are a bit stuck up.

My hotel room was good apart from the bed wall lamp didn't work, I told reception on the first day of my holiday and it wasn't fixed by the time I had left.

The cleaners are very good, and the rooms are kept very clean.

The lift can only take 4 people at a time, so I often found I had to take the stairs.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank mark_roey
Hi Mark.
Thank you for your recent review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall, I have noted your comments, the bedside light has now been repaired, we were waiting for a new pair of lights which had been ordered to arrive, and have now been installed, I am sorry for the inconvenience.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2014

First time at the Merrion but it will not be our last! Stayed three nights. The staff were great especially the waiters' in the dining room who could not do enough to please. The only let down was the location of our rooms, the family room was directly above the stage/entertainment area (entertainment every night but thankfully it finished at 1100) the other room was directly above the kitchen area (some chatter around 0615 followed by the smell of bacon cooking). Despite this we plan to return and, hopefully, get quieter rooms! Breakfast was very good though the one lunch of toasted sandwiches was disappointing (burnt chips, soggy salad leaves and 'unusual' taste to the toasted sandwiches). Had one evening meal consisting of three different main courses all of which were very good. We do not usually eat in the hotel we are staying in preferring to 'eat out' but we would have no hesitation in taking our evening meals at the hotel when we visit again. All-in-all a very enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the rear of the hotel on the first floor as some are directly above the entertainment...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Hi Stewart S.
Thank you for your recent review, great that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay and I note your comments about noise in the rooms and Bar Snacks, we will look at these issues and your comments and feedback are extremely important to us.
Once again thanks and see you again soon.
Regards
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Booked a family room for 4 nights at this hotel via Late rooms.com. Chose it mainly cos of location very near to shops & pier. First impressions very friendly, attentive & helpful reception staff. Lovely room, nice decor & very clean. Room service staff very on the ball in cleaning the rooms & all very friendly & polite.
Treated ourselves to meal at the hotel on first night. Absolutely delicious! Lamb shank was so tasty I could have eaten two! Very friendly & attentive waiting on staff. Would have eaten dinner here every evening but couldnt afford it. Although expensive, well worth the money. Excellent chef! Breakfast delicious too! Wide selection of food & drinks. Cooked breakfast made with quality food. Not cheap sausage & bacon! Will be returning again to this hotel & will save enough to eat there every evening! Thanks Merrion!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank atkinsonfam
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Dear Atkinsonfam.
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and that the lamb Shank was so memorable, food is the trademark of our business with both Gareth and I in the kitchen each day, please have a look at out "Merrion Hotel Bread" video on Youtube for an look into the kitchen.
Many thanks
manchester
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I stayed here bank holiday weekend for the first time. My impressions of the hotel were expensive but nice. We had paid extra for a balcony room which in my opinion was well worth it. Room was lovely with en suite shower flat screen tv etc and food and entertainment were good. There is also plenty of entertainment in other places that you can access. We were also able to park in the secured car park at the back which was excellent.

The down side was the noise outside of the room (125) which came from a radiator WHICH WAS VIBRATING FROM DOWNSTAIRS and sounded like a generator. This noise started at 6.30 am and lasted for an hour. I have read a previous review of the hotel posted only 4 weeks ago which mentions this same complaint however, knowing that this happens the Merrion have decided to let this room which is expensive and let the poor unsuspecting clients be subject to this unbearable noise. Before breakfast I complained, it was noted and staff said something would be done about it. In the evening about 11.30 pm it went off again just as I was falling asleep. My partner went downstairs to complain and someone said they would turn the heating off and then it wouldn't happen. I never heard it again. I also think the staff on reception could be better as every question I asked was answered with a Yes even if It didn't apply! On checking out and leaving the hotel and asking what was the procedure for leaving the key for the secured car park I was told to just drop it off in the box on reception. 40 minutes later into our journey home I received a phone call saying I hadn't paid! Although I was given a receipt with deposit amount on and the balance at the check in on arrival. The hotel assumes everyone has been before and just knows the system. Also worth mentioning WIFI does not work in bedrooms which is only a minor problem and didn't matter to me.

Room Tip: A room on the front with a sea view and a balcony is lovely.
1 Thank frances25
Hi Frances25.
Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay, I would like to apologise for the noisy radiator outside your room, this was the first morning we have used the heating system for 4 months, I saw the forecast for temperatures dropping to 3 or 4 degrees and decided we needed some heat. Unfortunately we had not had the chance to run the system and bleed any problem radiators, the one outside your room was noisy and I am sorry if it woke you up.
The WiFi is available free of charge in the public areas however due to the stone wall in this Victorian building the signal will not travel up to the rooms, we are looking into the possibility of providing WiFi through the phone line into each bedroom, I am told it may be possible and we are looking into it at this moment.
Thanks for your comments we do take notice and we hope to see you in the future.
North Wales
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We decide to go to Llandudno for an overnight stay on the spur of the moment. we being my 22yo daughter, wife & myself. I managed to book one double & one single room, both of which were located to the rear of the building, so not the best of views but in all honesty we were not there to sit and stare out of the window for the next 24hrs! The rooms were clean and in good condition, ideal for what we wanted for a short stay. We had booked B & B and breakfast in the morning was good with a choice of cereals and fruit juice followed by a full Welsh breakfast.
The Merrion is in a good location on the front, close to the pier & main shopping areas, however parking proved to be a bit of a problem & we resorted to parking some distance away and walking to the hotel. In summary a nice decent hotel with friendly staff.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank daviespsl
Hi DaviesPSL
Great review and thank you for taking the time to tell other travellers about the Merrion, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and for your kind comments about the staff, we are very proud of them, they work very hard and its nice to see it is appreciated.
See you again soon.
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Just returned from a week in Llandudno, wish it could have been longer!
Excellent hotel
Location excellent
Food 5 stars, in a 3 star hotel!
Staff mostly local and first class.
Our bedroom had was a good size with a good sea view.
Service was FIRST CLASS.
Lift needs updating, and why in Wales no Welsh TV stations on TVs in bedrooms for local news?
We WILL RETURN!

Room Tip: Ask for sea view, parking at rear.
Hi Robert.
Thank you for your review, I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, we hope to see you again soon.