“I was not given room I had booked”
Review of The Epperstone

The Epperstone
Ranked #127 of 146 Llandudno B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I booked a superior room with king sized bed (the booking was confirmed), on arrival I was told that there had been a problem and the room was not available, I suspect as I was only staying one night that they had a longer subsequent booking that wanted the larger room and the owner decided to change our accommodation. We were given another room at a discount that was adequate, but as it had a double and single bed it was a bit cramped, the hotel is advertised as Edwardian elegance, as this seems to mean lots of furniture and also lots of paintings and prints, nick knacks and ornaments, that we found just to cluttered, but I am sure a lot of people would not find it a problem. The staff were very friendly and nothing seemed to be to much trouble, the hotel was spotlessly clean, so as I have said I found the décor not to my taste and I would not stay here again myself, I am sure that if you want a quiet peaceful stay in Llandudno, with its own car park, you would not be to disappointed, the food was Ok I am a veggy, so with a couple of poached eggs for breakfast I cannot really review the food, my wife said the bacon was a bit salty.

Room Tip: room 8 we stayed in was down about 8 stairs at the rear of the hotel, the one really plus point it w...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
David D, Owner at The Epperstone, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2013

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to leave us a review here on Trip Advisor.
Again, all of us at The Epperstone wish to deeply apologize for the great inconvenience caused during your stay with us and we were delighted to give you both a discount on your bill as a good faith gesture. We are glad to hear that you both had an acceptable stay overall.
Kind regards
The Epperstone

Reviewed 8 October 2012

Just stayed here for two days with my dad as it was his birthday. From the moment you walk in you can see that the Prop. David and his wife have put a lot of love into the place. Everywhere is immaculate and spotlessly clean. Very nicely decorated throughout in a relaxing country house style. I especially liked the Donald Cambell pictures in the sitting room.

Emily is the young lady mentioned in other reviews and she was genuinely polite, friendly and efficient. There was a delicious, hot and tasty full breakfast available as well as a large selection of fruit juices, cereals and one or two other choices we didn't try.

We had room No.1 which was on the ground floor with two seperate single beds which is what we requested. There was a nice en-suite bathroom and a decent sized modern T.V. Nice comfortable chairs in there too. The location of the Epperstone is perfect as it's very peaceful and quiet and yet only 5 minutes stroll to shops and the sea front.

As for David, the owner, he had forgotten the password for the Wi-Fi and went to the trouble of phoning his wife in Moscow to get it for us. He sat and chatted with with us for a while this morning ( 8th Oct ) and even gave us a lift to the railway station in his car as my dad had a couple of heavy bags. How's THAT for service! Some of the negative reviews on here are unfortunate as they are completely at odds with my opinion and I don't think they are representative of most people's experience. I found one review laughable, ( they got the wrong toast! ). I think some people just love complaining!

As a last word, maybe a small caveat. If you go there expecting the 24 hr full on service and extensive menus of a large seafront hotel you may be disappointed. The Epperstone is more of an upmarket family B&B. Peaceful, pleasant , very nicely decorated and I'm guessing the kind of place that people go back to time after time. My dad and me are considering going back at Christmas. Might see you there : )

Room Tip: Room No.1 is ground floor and has small wall bars in the bathroom to aid the less mobile.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank john b
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I am writing an update; I was in the group that experienced what the reviewer below has written. I have spent almost two months trying to get some answers from the website we booked our stay with, with very little result. Whilst the people who work for the website who we booked this stay with have been very friendly and apologetic, nothing has been achieved. I would have been satisfied with an apology from the hotel but it seems they can't even give us that. I am now in the process of demanding a full refund. I have never been so upset after staying in a hotel/b&b in my life. We were made to feel common and unwelcome, and the woman who checked us in at reception was very insulting. She was so rude and how dare she speak to us like she did. If we hadn't paid already we would have left. This whole thing would have been made better if the Epperstone had simply apologised. It has now been two months, and nothing. I am amazed to read the positive reviews, as apart from a gentleman on the phone and the young lady serving breakfast, our experience was entirely negative.
Just in case you thought we were exaggerating about the state of the room, please see our photos.
We had climbed Snowdon that day, and this spoilt the whole thing. Even if we didn't look our best turning up in walking clothes, we did not deserve to be treated in this appalling manner. I had hoped that within almost two months that we would have received an apology from the Epperstone, which would have closed the matter. I am informed from the website we booked from that they have been contacted many times. So, so upset at how we have been treated.

Room Tip: Unless I eventually get an apology, I seriously would not recommend any room. I would not want anyon...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Laura D
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Right from the moment we entered the Epperstone, we were made to feel unwelcome. The reception we received was far from warm, and the way we were addressed and spoken to was far from satisfactory. As our party entered the reception area, the lady hosting said in a rather sharp tone "Close the door behind you, please, it is to keep the heat in...for your own benefit." We had booked a triple room through another website, and we were told by the lady that "there had been a mistake with the pricing". She gestured towards a price board before telling us in a rather patronising manner "this is a luxury hotel". We were made to feel very unwelcome and common. I began to explain that we had booked it through another website, but she interrupted and said "yes, there was a mistake. So you were lucky." She then went on to tell us a list of rules and regulations, including the fact that there was a curfew of 11:30pm, something which neither of us had experienced for years in a hotel or bed and breakfast, and the security was a real worry as we were told we must leave the key in a place we did not consider to be secure, and were not allowed to take with us. I at this point was very upset at the way we had been talked to and made to feel, so I asked the lady "Are you the owner?". She abruptly said "Why?" and later said she was a partner. I had asked this because I was ready to complain about the already poor service that we had received, and we had only been in the hotel 10 minutes!

One member of our party has worked in five star hotels, both in the UK and abroad, and does understand "luxury" with regard to accommodation, and was very surprised to hear the lady refer to the accommodation as being "luxurious". Indeed, first reflection was very basic and with further examination it didn't even reach a minimum standard. Examples being poorly maintained units in the rooms, poor standards of cleanliness and even dirty patches in the drawers being covered up rather crudely with A4 paper. It's fair to say we were all rather incredulous at what we found.The entrance conservatory was very strange and not at all appealing as a reception area. It was also full of rather tired and outdated furniture, not the sort of thing you would imagine in a "luxury bed and breakfast.

We had been told that breakfast would be served from 8:30 til around 10. We were rang at quarter past 9 to enquire as to whether we wanted breakfast as otherwise they would clear up. At breakfast we asked for fruit compote to start and were shocked to be presented with a bowl of poor quality tinned fruit. The poached egg was saturated in vinegar to the point of being inedible and the cooked breakfast was very greasy and left us feeling rather ill. We had to ask for sauces as they were not provided and were expected to find our own seats.

It was a shame because when we rang prior to our stay, the gentleman on the phone was very pleasant, and also the young lady serving us at breakfast was polite and helpful. But everything considered, we would certainly not recommend this hotel to anyone, and will certainly not be staying again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Joe S
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I stayed a week at the Epperstone. Very comfortable, good food, WiFi for the netbook and a good chinwag with proprietor David. Pete the Pensioner from Blackpool.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank ItsThatManAgain
Reviewed 30 August 2011

stayed four nights this august and could not find fault with anything, spotlessly clean comfy beds and absolutely delicious food ,all staff were really helpful nothing was to much trouble. thinking of going for christmas.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mark l
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I obtained a written quote from the manager and owner of the Epperstone Hotel (David Drew) and made a booking accordingly, a deposit being paid by cheque. However, upon arrival at the hotel the quote was not honoured and we were charged an additional 85 pounds. When I complianed about this Mr Drew claimed that he needed to speak to his staff and that he would refund any money being overcharged after having done so. Mr Drew has still failed to refund the money overcharged and it now about a month since we stayed at this hotel.

Furthermore, I contacted the RAC as the hotel's website claimed to be rated by them and the RAC representative stated, that firstly: no hotel should be displaying an RAC rating as the RAC stopped rating hotels many years ago, secondly: that he could find no record of this hotel ever having been rated by the RAC and thirdly: that he would be contacting the Mr Drew to request that he cease and desist from displaying an RAC rating.

I do not recommend anyone to pay a deposit to this hotel as the price quoted may not be honored.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family