“Holiday”
Review of Ascot House

Ascot House
Ranked #52 of 146 Llandudno B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Friendly and informative hosts.
Lovely breakfast.
Beautiful room.
Lots to do in the area, the beach was a 2 minute walk away.
Would recommend going up the Great Orme, on the tram and coming down on the cable car.
Lovely place to visit.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

My Wife and I spent a very comfortable two nights with Anita and Nick. We were welcomed with the offer of tea or coffee and then shown to our room which was extremely clean and tidy and well appointed, having all the expected facilities including free Wi-Fi. The breakfasts were well cooked, generous and appeared at table promptly. All in all a very pleasant short break and we would highly recommend Ascot house to anybody considering a booking there.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

Another relaxing stay . Faultless as on our previous visits - breakfast great start to the day - brew on arrival very welcome- nice to have the sunshine for a change - room nicely aired and clean
Would recommend to friends and family to stay

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 10 July 2013

My wife and I had a nice few days in this clean and friendly B&B. From the Tea on arrival to the breakfast before leaving everything was perfect. When we first saw our room it appeared small but it proved comfortable and adequate. The attention to detail by the proprietors I am sure makes all the difference. It certainly woks hear.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

My wife and I spent one night here on a whirlwind tour of North Wales. Our room, while small, had an en suite full bath and was immaculate. The room included a flat screen LCD TV and WiFi. We were greeted by Anita who was very welcoming and offered dining recommendations as well. The inn is located only one block from the Promenade so would be a great place to enjoy the seashore, unfortunately, it was cold, windy and rainy during our stay, so the beach was not on our agenda. We had a good night's sleep and had an excellent homemade breakfast the following morning. All of the food was fresh and cooked to order. I highly recommend the Ascot House and commend Anita and Nick for their hospitality.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2013

My wife and I had booked a Groupon deal for a 2 night stay in Lampeter and decided shortly before our visit that we would add on a couple of days at Ascot House. I booked the luxury room via their website. Unfortunately, we got our dates muddled and found it necessary to cancel our second night. I telephoned Ascot House and as there was no answer I left a voicemail message apologising for the error and confirmed this by email.

A few hours later the owner’s partner, Anita, called and advised me that I needed to cancel via the Agent. I advised that I was not aware of ‘an Agent’ and that the booking confirmation emailed to us clearly stated that any changes to the booking, including cancellation, should be directed to Ascot House.

Anita insisted that I cancel through the Agent and just couldn’t seem to grasp the fact that there were no Agency contact details on the confirmation. She then passed me to the owner and I had to explain the issue all over again and queried why I needed to contact an agent which was in contradiction to the booking confirmation. Nonetheless, and in order to help expedite the situation, I went on to say that if he could advise who the Agent was and provide a telephone number then I would call them. I explained it was urgent as it was getting close to the 48 hour period when I would incur a penalty charge. Inexplicably, the owner’s demeanour became increasingly unhelpful and intimidating – he advised that they were not at the B&B and it was therefore very inconvenient for them. It became more and more exasperating as I was making no progress whatsoever.

Eventually, the owner conceded that he had the number of the Agent on his mobile and he would text it immediately. He never did. Some while later Anita called to say that she could not accommodate us for the first night as the room was for 2 night minimum. Effectively therefore she had cancelled both nights and advised she would charge the full rate for the first cancelled night even though we could have occupied the room!

At this stage I had lost complete confidence in their ability to do anything correctly, and following a search on Google I tracked down the Agent and called them. The chap who answered was very helpful and sympathetic but advised that Ascot House had NOT cancelled the booking! He said that he would phone the owner and arrange the cancellation. Interestingly, he also advised that any cancellation fees were at the owner’s discretion so clearly the owner was just being belligerent.

My wife and I travel extensively although we do not often post on Trip Advisor. We are a retired couple and consider ourselves level headed, sociable and tolerant. However, I have never before encountered such hostility and arrogance as I did from the owners of Ascot House. Inflexible, obstructive and discourteous are words that readily spring to mind.

I have to say that we are sooo, so glad that circumstances prevented us from meeting these people.

Basil Fawlty has some real competition here…….

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank JohnyCash
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We stayed here during the weekend to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Greeted warmly by the owners with a cup of tea. Room was clean and had everything that we needed. It was a lovely gesture by them to give us a bottle of bubbly for our celebration- a really nice touch! Breakfast in the morning was tasty and freshly made. No complaints at all- would definitely stay here again! Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple