“Ignore the negative reviews.”

Four Saints Brig-y-Don Hotel
Ranked #90 of 146 Llandudno B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Our stay at the Brig-y-Don had been organised as part of a David Urquhart Tour and we did not expect a 5 star hotel but could not fault the cleanliness and personal attention by the staff. The servings of food was plentiful and served hot and there was a good choice - although we did hear some of the party complain - but maybe at home they bought in take-aways for their supper and not used to decent grub!

Not every one can be provided with a room that overlooks the sea, and the view from a rear room was obviously disappointing, but it was a 'bedroom' and not an apartment and intended to be used to sleep in after a busy day exploring the beautiful countryside, shopping in Llandudno and other villages close by.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank William George D

Reviewed 3 September 2012

my wife booked this hotel for our 25th we were going to stay 1 night saturday 1st september.We arrived at hotel and told parking at rear so went to park car and got our case out went into the hotel which from the back looked grotty to start ashtray on wall overflowing paint peeling off door,Went inside and asked to c the room before we paid the inside looked grotty and needs a lot of work to update it.That was before we got to the room, opened the door to our room and there was no shower just a bath,there was dust all over the windowsill,The quilt on the bed was all lumpy and looked like it had been there for 20years and had loads of food stains on it.The pillow cases were all stained too and also handles missing off chest of drawera ,went straight down outside loaded car up went back inside handed key back and left in disgust,and they wanted £70 a night for this dump.Proceeded down the road to the queens and got a room for £65 and was spot on very very horrible hotel the brig y don dont go there is my advice.

Room Tip: dont go there
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank peter l
Reviewed 14 August 2012

My first impressions were of a a severe telling off by laminate. There were tacky laminate signs everywhere warning guests about paying for damages to the rooms, , not smoking, not taking your key out of the hotel, not feeding the pigeons! Even the notices about ordering a packed lunch had a very bossy tone. There were notices in the bar, warnings about being on camera and a strict notice in the dining room telling guests to remain seated after breakfast in order to tell staff of their evening meal requirements! Not very welcoming but it made us laugh; if only the room had the same effect...Well it was clean enough although tatty and in need of a refurb. I didn't mind this so much because it was cheap for the location. What I did mind was the spectacularly uncomfortable bed. It was hard and really lumpy. Added to this the bed was a metal frame incorpororating the headboard which was a bar of metal. It looked ok; it was how it was designed but it was impossible to sit up to watch tv or read. We were given one bath towel each, and no hand towel which seemed a bit odd. The breakfast was ok but usually in b & bs there are juices and cereals set out in the morning; not so here. Everything had to be asked for. The staff were pleasant but the overall atmosphere was not at all welcoming.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a proper headboard if you want to read or watch tv in bed. I'm not sure if...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ludlowcca
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I had read the reviews before I went, but could not get out of it as it was booked by a relative. Oh how I wish I could have. Some of the previous reviews refere to an "all inclusive week" these cost £65 and includes bed breakfast and evening meal. free newspaper and a free bar together with a packed lunch. So no wonder they think its value for money. Mine was just a oine night stay. So perhaps this will give a more of an even review.
Firstly the location is great. There is a very small car park at the rear. This was full on our arrival. I drove around the block three times before getting a space outside. Its £4 to park from 10am til 4pm on the prom and then free from 4pm to 10am the following morn. So a bargin. But it was frustrating to find the car park was full of the hotel staffs cars! surely they should park elsewhere? The receptionist did offer to get somebody to move one. But it was too late then.

So what can I say about the whole hotel......well think of the Munsters meet the Adams family and you have probably got the idea of the buliding. The breakfast was....ok....But the rooms........Argh!

The sea view hotels DO NOT HAVE SHOWERS! only a bath. The walls were peeling. The bulb was broke on the one light. But even with one light you could see the many cobwebs. And also the paint on the curtains.

The only positive from my one night stay was.....the plastic jug we had to buy to wash our hair only cost 69p at the local pound shop. Get a tent! Honestly.

Room Tip: Buy a tent!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Dowboy9
Reviewed 6 August 2012

My wife and I arrived on Sat 3rd August for a one night stay. Booked early that day and was expecting a sea view, instead we had a view of unsightly buildings, but even worse the rear of the hotel back yard. It looked filthy with a tatty looking picnic bench and discarded carpets dumped in one corner. The lounge area would not be mistaken for an old nursing home with antiquated chairs all around the walls. The whole place did not impress at all. Having said that, my main gripe is that we didn't get any sleep due to the solid mattress in our room with springs pushing up to the surface. We tried getting to sleep by putting the quilt over it with a sheet as cover. I would have gone to reception at 2 am and asked for a change of room but there weren't any spare. When I complained the next morning, the person in charge, who said she wasn't the manager, said she would pass on my complaint to the owner on Monday. I was very reluctant to pay as we didn't get any sleep. The breakfast was mediocre. There wasn't anywhere you could help yourselves to cereal etc, you had to ask for everything. My wife was served one weetabix.. The toast was burnt and cold as was most of the breakfast. The same lady fobbed me off with a story that the owner wasn't there when I rang today (Monday) and is going away. Having visted other hotels close by after we left, we deeply regretted going to the Brig y Don as the others were absolutely fantastic with really friendly owners who were horrified when we told them what had happened. They all said we should have refused to pay. Their hotels were only a little dearer but a 100 times better. Brig y Don, never again in my life time. Avoid it like the plague. There are much better hotels in Llandudno.

Room Tip: Avoid room No 19.In fact, avoid them all.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank John E
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We agree with previous review. Wasn't looking for five star treatment as didn't pay five star prices but did expect something better than what we got.
Hotel was dirty and drab and there was nothing welcoming about it.A piece of string to put the bathroom light on,underwear belonging to the previous occupant left on the floor of the room,voile curtains that were filthy could go on on and on.
Food was tasteless and cold. We ended eating out.
Staff were unfriendly but expected for a gratuity at the end of our break.
Think it is about time David Urquhart went undercover and tried this hotel and stopped taking peoples hard earned money .We shall be in touch with David Urquhart and will be complaining most strongly.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Mary W
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Just back from a long weekend at the Brig Y Don I really do not like complaining but this hotel is not tired it is exhausted. The rooms were dirty the food was mediocre and thats being nice , we were with a bus party of elderly people and we were on the third floor ok, you get out the lift on the 3rd floor and have to go down 7 stairs then up seven to get to your room. The only good thing the TV was new and the towels were new. Paper cups in the bathroom , filthy carpets in the bathroom and no mats to stand on chipped mug and cup for tea and two tea bags if you wanted more we were told it would be 10p each and this in a so called all inclusive. The beds were uncomfortable, cobwebs on the ceiling and the windows were filthy. There was one chair for sitting on so you had to sit on the bed. I noticed a piece of tissue lying on the floor on the landing on the Saturday, when we left it was still lying on the floor on the Monday. I know times are hard but if Britain wants to encourage touism these hotels really need to get a grip. I have been to Llandudno before and the place itself is really quite nice and really suitable for the elderly as it is nice and flat at the front, but hotels like the Brig Y Don will put people off . Please clean up your hotel and improve the quality of your food.

Room Tip: Go to the hotel next door
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple