“Fabulous!”

Ranked #9 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
South Wales
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2007

I was blown away by this hotel!
As a frequent lone female business traveller personal security and comfort are my main aims in choosing my accommodation when I'm away from home.
The reception staff were welcoming and helpful when I checked in, and gave me all the information I needed regarding ordering food for the evening as I have special dietary requirements.
The room had all of the same attention to detail and quirks you find in expensive boutique style hotels dressed in the same Victorian/Edwardian period as the building itself though with modern twists like the flat screen tv and dvd.
I ordered my food via their room service, which came promptly and was divine - particularly the homemade vegetable and coriander soup.
My stay ended nicely prior to checkout with a lovely breakfast with lots of choice and beautifully presented.
A better choice than all of the big chain hotels I have stayed in - I'll be back for business and pleasure!

• Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
7 Thank Yellowcat44

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Spring Texas USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2007

After a lot of research and contacting several hotels we chose this one based on tripadvisor reviews, their ability to accomodate our family (6 people in total), and price (quite reasonable). This Hotel is in a great location, adjacent to the main shopping area and a couple of blocks from the Great Orme tramway. Also, there's a restaurant called Home Cooking about half a block down the hill from the restaurant that we found to be reasonably priced and the food was great. We were pleasantly surprised by our room (#50). We were given a suite as promised and the living room and bedroom were separated from each other by a short hallway. The bathroom doorway was from the hallway and the bathroom itself was really nice. Our bed was very comfortable and the views from our room were great - Great Orme from the bedroom and Llandudno Bay from the living room. Overall, highly recommend this Hotel.

• Liked — Location, price, breakfast, rooms
  • Disliked — When you check out and leave your luggage at the hotel, they put it in the lobby
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
5 Thank SpringTexasUSA
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2007

The room was quirky with some great little touches
but the food in the main restaurant was simply great, everything about it. Food, service, and wine, I was in a Gordon Ramsey restaurant last week and thoughly enjoyed it but I got as much pleasure eatng at the Empire.

• Liked — Quirkiness
  • Disliked — Although we were in a mini suite the tv in our bedroom had a lousy picture although the one in our lounge area was fine
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Edmag
england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2007

My husband and I stayed for a long weekend, we have been to this hotel before and were really impressed so decided 'The Empire' would be the place to go for a real treat. How right we were. The hotel staff never cease to impress with their helpfulness and the food is absolutely to die for. The restaurant is one of the most beautifully decorated we have been to with small intimate alcoves or elevated seating, whatever the mood it seems to cater. Plus an opportunity for us ladies to dress up a little for dinner.

The rooms are expensively decorated, not always large rooms (unless you upgrade, then you get a real treat) but with all amenities ie: flat screen TV, DVD. Wireless internet access is availabe in most areas. Well worth a visit you would not be disapointed.

• Liked — The expensive decor and all amenities were there
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank hancockph
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2007

Bathroom air extractor was totally dead & the (recently installed) air conditioning system was temperamental - it usually warmed when it should have cooled & vice versa. Their maintenance man seemed unable to fix the AC but did volunteer that the whole hotel bathroom extract system was antiquated & needed replacement.

Food was generally ok but helpfulness of restaurant serving staff was not uniformly acceptable.

Reception Desk staff advised me to write about our disappointing experiences to the proprietor, Mrs L E Maddocks, who infuriatingly replied that the extract & AC systems were "in working order". She did however send a £50 credit note - which was of no personal value since even if we ever were to return to Llandudno it would not be to the evidently engineeringly challenged Empire!

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Attidude of proprietor in dealing with our complaint
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bobmUK
Lancashire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2007

You should not consider this hotel because the owners simply do not understand the meaning of customer service. The owners only seem interested in money making rather than acknowledging that customers exist and, when problems do occur, they are quite simply patronising and extremely rude (I could use other choice words here), and do not acknowledge that anything is there fault.

There is in fact a funny story to tell here - but if you are elderly, claustrophobic or a single traveller you could have been put in danger by this hotel.

I was staying at this hotel recently when, on closing the bathroom door, the mechanism broke, which left me trapped with no means of notifying anyone - no phone, no alarm....nothing!. Thankfully my parter returned to the room and was able to phone reception. After some minutes the owner arrived, who tried to open the door herself (like we hadn't tried already and advised that a engineer was needed!).

I was then told that an engineer would be called to get me out, only to be surprised to find that a waitor came to the room (who was laughing and joking about me being trapped, even though I had now been in the steaming hot bathroom for some 30mins). The waitor had no tools apart from a small screwdriver that looked like it came out of a Christmas cracker and the owner said that no engineer could come as they were located in Rhyl - a shocking 40 miles from the hotel (great planning?).

After a great deal of banging it was decided that the screwdriver be swung to me on the chord of my dressing gown from the bedroom window so I could take the lock or hinges off from the inside - unfortunately the handle had been painted in so I had to prise it off and the the hinges were capped and could not be removed.

Thereafter the owner asked a few of her waitors to kick the door down and, after one had tried and hurt himself, another managed to break a hole in the door. I was then asked to climb through the hole, which was covered in splinters and caused me to cut my hand and foot.

Before I climbed out through the door I asked the owner to wait outside of the room for me to preserve the last remnants of my dignity - at which point she offered to compesate my for being trapped with 'a glass of brandy'. To my horror, when I got out she had left! Thereafter, she refused to acknowlege any issue, even though the incident had clearly ruined my evening and stay and the words 'sorry' never came. There was not even an offer for a change of room and nobody from the hotel ever asked whether I was ok thereafter.

The final part of the story is to confirm that my partners father managed to obtain a refund for part of the bill when we left - which in no way equalled the treatment I received. As I say, thankfully I'm young, I dread to imagine what would have happened if I were elderly, claustrophobic or on my own. Unfortunately, due to the attitude of the owners I doubt anything will be done to ensure this does not happen again - consider yourself warned!!!

• Liked — Leaving!
  • Disliked — The lack of any customer service
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
18 Thank int_traveller
Inverness, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2007

I stayed here for 3 nights in February 2005 through work. This hotel was lovely. My bedroom was very tastefully decorated with a four posted bed, hugh mirrors, and a massive jacuzzi bath - to me it was out of this world.

My room was at the front of the hotel so I had a view down one of the main streets. There was also a wee sherry to be had at bedtime.

I didnt use the leisure facilities, but they looked very clean and well kept.

We ate breakfast and dinner at the hotel, and it couldnt be faulted. However food does always taste better when someone else is paying for it.

The hotel is close to the centre of Llandudno, which was very quiet because of the time of year. However I did enjoy walking along the sea front but the pier was closed.

• Liked — The bedroom, the bed, the jacuzzi, the food, the sherry
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed February 2005, travelled on business