“Great Refurbishment” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Empire Hotel Llandudno

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Empire Hotel Llandudno
Ranked #9 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Birmingham
“Great Refurbishment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

The hotel has had a Victorian themed refurbishment which has been beautifully done. Room was tastefully appointed with lots of nice 'homely' touches, which we didin't expect.

The only problem was the frosted glass, sliding bathroom door. Just so embarrassing and unnecessary!

Parking can be a problem, especially if your late checking in.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

I've stayed at this hotel at various times over the last 20 years. At fairly short notice we booked a 3 night stay. We noticed that the hotel had had a make over since my last stay (about 10 years ago) which upon first impressions was nice, although it didn't seem to have the same appeal as I remembered.
In the room, the main thing I didn't like was the frosted glass bathroom door, which is directly opposite the main door. Bearing in mind the WC is on the other side of the door, it can be embarrassing, especially if you are on the toilet and a member of staff happens to come in the room, as they did with me!!
The carpets in our room were light coloured and had quite a few stains from previous guests.
From memory, during my previous stays, the hotel had mainly carpeted floors throughout the corridors and landings, this is now wood which was aesthetically very nice but did nothing at all to keep noise levels at bay when travelling through them.

The pool area had also had a makeover, now complete with a gym area, refurbished changing rooms (with shower) and re jigged pool / jacuzzi which also has a steam room and sauna. The steam room was ok, not as good as previously, the sauna was only big enough for a couple (maybe three at the most) of people.

My most vivid memories of the Empire were the outstanding meals eaten in Watkins & Co restaurant which is situated in the main hotel just off the reception area.
Unfortunately, in my opinion, the food during the latest visit was not camparable. My reasons for this ranged from the quality of some food being positively average, some being too salty to eat, being given tagliatelle for penne pasta and being given biscuits (with cheese) which looked as though they were the broken bits from the bottom of the box.
The fries which we ordered for some of the dishes (for my son) very much resembled what we call 'scraps' from the local chippy.
For us, the final nail in our Empire coffin was the poor sleep we had due to excessive noise. Until the early hours there was lots of noise from creaky floor boards all around us and finally what appeared to be Billy Smarts circus in the room above us, the sound insulation not very good at all. Maybe it's me getting older, but it was certainly a lot worse than I remember.

All in all I was desperate for a few days away in the Empire like the 'good old days' but unfortunately it wasn't to be. I really didn't want to write a bad review but have tried to be as honest as I can, after all, it's not a cheap place to stay and I expected more for my money.

Room Tip: Maybe try number 72?
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Gino K
Ross-on-Wye
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

Invited 20 friends to stay at The Empire to help my wife and I to celebrate our Golden Wedding Anniversary. We stayed for 3 nights, dining in the hotel restaurant each evening. Everybody enjoyed their stay and were full of praise for the friendly staff, excellent cuisine, and facilities at the hotel.
Thank you Empire Hotel for a lovely, memorable occasion
Jim Bottomley

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank James B
wrexham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

8 of us had a 2 night stay to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We could not fault a single aspect of our stay.Family owned hotel, our third visit and have never been disappointed. Friendly staff, great food and located within walking distance of the beach/ town centre.

Wrexham,North Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

We stayed at the Empire Hotel for two nights on August 20th 2011.This is our 2nd stay here. Our room was number 26. It was our friend’s 25 wedding anniversary and her birthday and they had arranged for four couples to stay here to celebrate the occasion. This venue is excellent for a group stay as it is a small family run hotel and they staff go out of their way to make your time here special. The dinner, bed and breakfast rate is excellent value as the food in Watkins restaurant is gorgeous and well presented. The meal at night consisted of four courses with a huge choice of dishes and the waiting on staff were so friendly especially John and Nelson who have both worked here for over 30 years! One of the owners of the hotel was always on duty to make sure everything was running smoothly. We also had Sunday lunch which was delightful as they had a harpist playing. As for the bedrooms, they were so beautifully furnished with every amenity. We had hot drink making facilities, a safe, small fridge, decanter of sherry, large flat screen TV and plenty of space for our belongings. The Empire has a lovely pool and gym area in the basement which is very clean and relaxing. The hotel is in an excellent position in the centre of the town and I would not contemplate staying anywhere else than here when I next visit Llandudno.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
WIGAN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

We have just returned from a Thursday night break. The Room No. 81 (On the ground floor of No 72) was straight out of an Edwardian drama. However, having said that it was delightful. The room was spotlessly clean, the bed was a queen size and there was a large modern digital TV But the rarity was the en-suite. It was as old fashioned as it could possibly be but still absolutely delightful. We had stayed at the Empire on three previous occasions and thought it good value for money, especially as Dinner is included in the Bed & Breakfast price when staying on a Thursday or Sunday night. The only downside this time was that the food didn't seem to be up to the usual standard. An a la carte menu was not offered.as an alternative. However the normal Dinner menu does included a Starter, Soup, Main. Dessert followed by Coffee in the Lounge and is reasonably priced. The staff were extremely polite and very helpful.

Room Tip: Room 81 is on the ground floor but is shielded by a privet fence and we didn't hear any road noi...
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

Stayed at The Empire, unfortunately for a single night. I've travelled a lot for business in 5* hotels and I'm always very disappointed in hotels in this country in comparison but this one was excellent.
The room was reasoably sized and had a great twin aspect view. The staff were all excellent from reception to the restaurant staff. The food was excellent, including the 4 course meal which was included in the price. Lovely lounge to relax in too.
For an old hotel, the spa and pool facilities are also good although the steam and sauna were broken.
The only issue I can come up with is the car park-spaces are limited. I got one but if you didn't, I guess you'd need to find a spot on the road or pay.
Excellent hotel, can't fault it, best I've stayed in in UK, will return.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view and refurbished room
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family