“Best Birthday Ever”

Ranked #10 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Cheshire, England
“Best Birthday Ever”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This is a fabulous hotel on all counts! Lucky to celebrate a rather large important birthday here and wouldn't have wished to be anywhere else. Very comfortable luxurious room, superb food, excellent service, friendly familiar faces with nothing too much trouble, all overseen 'hands-on' by two generations of a lovely family. The Empire should be the benchmark for 'How to successfully run a superb hotel'. Now to lose some weight until next time!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Once again another perfect week at this lovely Hotel which I have stayed in many times before for Business and Pleasure. If you want the very best in Hospitality and to stay in a Hotel that makes you feel nothing is too much trouble, then this is the Hotel for you.

The Hotel is very special and run by a lovely family, and very personal.
The rooms are spotlessly clean and as with any any large lovely old building it has character and not everything is perfect but for the cleanliness, service and food it is perfection.
I have stayed in many big chain hotels that have perfect paintwork and are very clinical, but they are not spotlessly clean and the standard of food in their restauarants can be very poor an expensive, the Empire could teach them a lot.
I always leave more relaxed than I arrived and a bit heavier...I told you the food was good.

Room Tip: I have stayed at this hotel many times over the last 5 years and what is really unique is that I con...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Just returned to the Empire after a few years since the last visit and it's as wonderful as it has always been. This hotel is beautiful, it's an absolute treat to stay here, the decor is unique giving the place a special feel, so classy and different from the usual carbon copy hotels. The rooms are gorgeous, home made biscuits and sherry in a decanter, special touches that feel like a treat! The spa is fantastic, staff are very smart and pleasant, the old fashioned type of service which makes you feel very special and the food is simply scrumptious. They allow small dogs which made the stay perfect for us with our four legged friend and the standard of room was not compromised at all by the fact that we had him with us as we have found in other hotels. On Thursdays and Sundays Dinner is included in the normal B&B price, an absolute bargain for the standards offered here, my favourite place to stay in the whole of Wales - faultless!

Room Tip: Check out Thursdays and Sundays, 5 course dinner included in the price for Bed and Breakfast and sma...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I visited with my husband & two small sons during the Easter holidays. I had booked a treatment in the spa-but was gutted to find out the beautician has called in sick-I guess these things happen. Our family room was pleasant but on the small side, breakfast was pretty good-with lots of choice for both adults & kids. We didn't each in any of the restaurants, as we are vegetarian & there wasn't much choice on the menu. I had a prosecco cocktail in the bar-but the prosecco was flat so I didn't try another. Staff were pleasant & helpful, plus they were happy to let my kids play computer games on the computer in the foyer. The hi-light for all of us was the lovely pool with its steam room & sauna, which we used every day we were there. We went up the Great Orme on the tramway, which was lots of fun-but there is very little to do once you get to the top.

Room Tip: I think the lower room numbers will be bigger inside
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I booked into the hotel with my new wife after spending the last 2 nights in a 5* hotel in Cardiff . What a dissapointed .
The room is very small , which surprised me as I booked a larger than average room . The pool was nice but why had the hotel decided that guests wanted to view people in the pool, ( people actually got out of the pool as the restaurant tables starting filling ). The jacuzzi temperature was cold and unexpected . My wide and I dined in the restaurant , the soup was burnt (we informed the staff and recieved an apology) the vegetables were over cooked and the desert , mine being banana and peach crumble was dry , hard and not very nice . We attempted coffee in the lounge (no coffee) . Tomorrow we go to a top hotel in Lancaster .

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Stevehaley
Brisbane Region, Australia
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Been to this hotel several times over the years and have to say it just gets better. You tend to experience a bygone age where service, cleanliness and civilization are this hotel's prime concern. Treat yourself to a massage - the best I have ever had. I know it's only Wales but you always return feeling rejuvenated.

• Stayed March 2012
Westhoughton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I would love to give this hotel a higher rating but I think taking everything into account 3 star is about right.

I will start with the good.
The main restaurant is very nice with excellent service from some very friendly staff. The food is absolutely fabulous, probably the best hotel food I have ever eaten. It has to be said that in some areas the restaurant is getting ready for refurbishment.

The leisure centre was excellent with a well equipped gym, small swimming pool, steam room and sauna.

The bad.
The room was the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in, so small it makes me wonder why they try to cram extra chairs and a table in it. The paint was peeling off the window sill and the walls had large cracks in them. The chandelier rattled every time someone walked in the bedroom above which was annoying to say the least. The rooms have air conditioning which would be welcome in summer. The bed was very comfortable and the room was spotlessly clean. The bathroom was modern but the shower was very poor with hardly any water flow.

This was a standard room and was not the cheapest room in the hotel.

The reception area and lounge. The lounge needed cleaning and looked pretty scruffy with paint peeling off a glass panelled roof, yes glass painted! The reception area was pretty untidy and not very welcoming as a first impression.

On a point of waste, we counted over 20 bulbs in the bedroom most in a ridiculously oversized chandelier that dwarfed the room. The lights can be left on all day as they were by the cleaning staff on the Saturday, no card operated system to turn off the power when out of the room. The hotel has single glazed windows.

This hotel is let down by a lack of maintenance in some areas and would easily get 4 stars if it was well maintained.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple