“If it's Llandudno then it has to be The Empire”

Empire Hotel Llandudno
Ranked #10 of 59 Hotels in Llandudno
Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
“If it's Llandudno then it has to be The Empire”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

I still love this hotel!
Has been a few years since our last visit but it's still the best that I've stayed in in Llandudno. Lovely rooms, very comfortable & well furnished in period style, great staff who are attentive and very happy to attend to your requests.
The Empire is in the perfect position for everything you want to get out of Llandudno and with 4 stars if you want to stay in & drink at the bar or watch a free DVD in your room it's no hardship!
I will say that I preferred the old bar not the period minimalistic feel of the current bar and instead of sitting in the bar for a glass of wine we went out instead, not that it's bad or uncomfortable, it's just not my 'scene'. The bathroom door was frosted glass which I also didn't like but I imagine it's down to the practical use of the space & was no issue at all.
We did have a problem with the bath as the hot water tap did nothing but within 10 minutes of reporting it a maintenance man was having a look, a plumber was called & when they couldn't fix the problem a complimentary bottle of wine was delivered to apologise for the inconvenience.
We tend to use the Empire when visiting the Theatre as we only live 30 miles or so away but it saves the drive home and as there are some excellent shows on this year I expect we'll be back soon!
Standard Room @ £112.00 per night.

Room Tip: We staying in Room 6, front left hand (from outside) corner. although at the front of the building...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Indiafish
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

What a great hotel. Although there on business we were made to feel almost like family. Enjoyed a really good dinner. Very attentive staff. Look forward to going back, for a holiday next time not work

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Tenby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

Congratulations on an outstanding guest experience, from the welcome after a long drive, the bedroom was spacious and immaculate, the food and the service demonstrated the care and attention to detail needed to deliver total satisfaction.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

We really love this hotel, but all was not well on arrival, I had booked three rooms early on in the year (Feb 2012) to ensure getting the rooms we wanted. I am disabled and have a pobia for lifts, so I specially asked when booking for a room on the first floor so I only had one flight of stairs to climb! and a room on the front, other times I have stayed I have been on the side. When the porter took me to the room it was on the second floor and on the side of the building!
EVERYTHING I HAD NOT ASKED FOR!!! I contacted reception, I told him I was not happy! he finally moved me to the kind of room I asked for in the first place, this should not happen!! I booked early enough in the year, to surely be accommodated in the right place. This was a bad and upsetting start. The rest of my family in their two rooms were happy.
All this apart, the hotel is lovely, nice clean rooms, great food, and the staff are excellent.
We will go back hopefully in the correct rooms next time.

Room Tip: best rooms on the front - quieter on the back
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
holmfirth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

Made our annual visit to the Empire with a number of friends.As usual the service and food was top drawer and well deserving of the 4 star rating.Found the dining room staff be excellent both in service and friendliness.
Also worth a visit is Osborne House (the sister hotel) where we spent a happy hour in the bar to recover from a gruelling trip to Conway.
My only negative observation would be regarding the roof terrace.This is sadly in need of a refurb and is in my opion a hidden jewel which appears to little used perhaps because it can be hard to find.
Other than that we are penciling the date for next year.

Room Tip: Try rooms on South side.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

This hotel at the top end of the main street is excellent . The rooms are spotless , clean and roomy. You get freshly ground coffee in your room and a welcome sherry is also waiting for you again in your room. The food is excellent especially the evening food. A must plae to stay when in Llandudno .

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Stuartco
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights with our two toddlers, booking suite no. 107, which was actually located 150 yards away from the main hotel, in Osborne House, itself looking out onto the promenade. As we were staying with our two boys, we wanted a suite with a separate bedroom for them to use, so we were able to put them to bed and enjoy the remainder of our evening in peace! To get the negatives out of the way first, the suite was located up a couple of flights of outside stairs at the back of Osborne House, which is not the most illustrious of entrances. There are no sea views from this suite and the car parking is back at the hotel (and also a bit tight if you have a large car!) This was all clearly explained to us before we booked, so there were no surprises. The suite itself was excellent, with loads of space for the four of us and lavish decor. It would have been difficult for us to have asked for anything else, and it more than made up for the lack of views etc. We also made use of the hotel gym and pool facilities, which were small, but very well appointed and immaculately presented. Perhaps the best aspect of our stay, however, was the superb service we received from everyone, particularly the reception team, who made us feel extremely welcome and couldn't have done more to help. Although we didn't eat at Osborne House or The Empire (except for breakfast, which was very good) the team were happy to recommend a couple of family friendly places nearby, and we enjoyed eating at The Queen Victoria pub, just a few doors down, which offered excellent food in a family friendly setting. It was just a shame that the weather was not a little better for our stay! No doubt, we'll be back soon . . . .

Room Tip: If you need a sea view or a grand entrance, suite 107 is not the family suite for you, otherwise, yo...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family