“Great family hotel”

Empire Hotel Llandudno
Ranked #12 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My husband and 3 year old son stayed here for the first time in July for a short break. On arrival staff were very friendly and made each of us feel very welcome. The hotel is very clean and comfortable. We stayed in a superior room which was very clean and spacious with lots of nice touches. The hotel benefits from a lovely indoor pool area (although it is very dark, much darker than on the online pictures- in reality not sure my 3 year old would have felt happy in there) and a really nice outdoor pool area with sunloungers. Pleny of space to enjoy a drink in the lounge areas and breakfast was superb. Also, another plus point is that the hotel has plenty of car parking. Overall a great place to stay with family and we shall return again next year.

Room Tip: superior rooms are very spacious should you be bringing children.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank melanie w
There are newer reviews for Empire Hotel Llandudno

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Poolside at The Empire is one of the best places to eat in llandudno. My most recent visit was last week and as usual the food was amazing and such good value. The atmosphere is always lovely, the staff are very polite and welcoming and for under £18 pounds you get a three course meal with wine and coffee or tea! There are a lot of hotels in this area that act like they're something they're not and charge extortionate prices as a result, the empire is not one of these. I'd be happy to pay double for the fabulous experience of visiting this beautiful hotel!

3  Thank Liv W
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My wife and I wanted a night in Llandudno prior to a tour of Bodnant Gardens but I struggled to find somewhere that stood out and really appealed online. Then I noticed that the Empire was offering dinner for free on a Sunday evening if we booked by phone and that sealed the deal. Boy am I glad it did...

Since dinner was a freebie we upgraded to a superior room at £135 B&B, (in effect DBB). The Empire is in an elegant corner of Llandudno, close to the promenade and to the lower terminus of the Great Orme Tramway. As soon as we walked in we were welcomed warmly and immediately struck by the high standard of decoration everywhere. Parking is admittedly challenging, but at least they have 40 or so spaces so we couldn't complain. Our room was huge, well appointed, elegant and clean, with several nice extra touches. The corridors and public spaces are all immaculate and full of character and the friendliness we found at check-in carried through to all the staff we encountered. Dinner was a pleasant surprise. The Empire is family-run and the Maitre D was quite the most elegantly dressed I have ever encountered, really setting the tone for an evening that was very enjoyable. Drinks proved to be amazingly good value, (go for the doubles - barely more than single measures!), and we remarked several time how it felt like something out of an Agatha Christie novel or film. The food was decent if not spectacular but really no complaints at all, and even at full price it's good value. The only downside I would say is that the spa pool and steam rooms didn't really work for me. The pool is subterranean and feels very enclosed, (plus it's not really big enough to swim in), and the sauna was so cool I couldn't even break a sweat! That and the whole pool area breaks the '30's Vibe' that is so successfully carried out across the rest of the hotel so it doesn't sit comfortably. But frankly I didn't care. It was a great place to stay, great value and I'd happily stay there again. Highly recommended

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to a superior room I think. There's no view to be had but the extra space and fu...
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We have recently returned from a stay at the Empire Hotel, Llandudno. We enjoyed our stay and we are never disappointed with the service, comfort and especially the wonderful food that is served. We have been staying at this hotel for the past 15 years and must say it's one of my favourite hotels.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have stayed in the Empire many times and always have a good time. From Michael greeting us to take our luggage to our room, then being greeted by Mary and Elyse in reception this was the start of a good holiday. The staff in the restaurant were very good, the only criticism I have is the way they now serve the vegetables. We used to get the vegetables served on side dishes where as now they come on the plate with the main course. We prefer them to come separate which gives us the option of what and how much vegetables we have. The staff in the bar were always very friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ieuan44
Reviewed 8 July 2014

After arriving at Llandudno, we searched for somewhere to stay. (having not booked due to spur of the moment trip)
We tried a few hotels, but 2 were full and one wanted a staggering £400 for 2 nights, but judging by the smell in reception, I wouldnt have paid £50. We headed up the hill to The Empire Hotel and were told they had a standard double room for a cost of £210 for 2 nights which I thought was extremely reasonable, especially as I had already scanned the reception area and knew it was a top notch place. We were shown to our room 46 and straight away I was in awe. We could tell straight away that this was an elegant and classy hotel. A beautiful walk-in shower, with 2 bathrobes provided. Tolietries also provided. Coffee (instant and fresh), tea, and biscuits, complementary whiskey in a dicanter on the table and lovely mirrors, pictures, lighting and furniture. An iron and ironing board is provided in the room as well as separate towels in the drawer for use at the swimming pool. The indoor pool, sauna and gym facilities are fabulous. After a comfortable night we headed down to the restaurant for breakfast.
The tables looked lovely with linen napkins and silver cutlery. We were offered tea or coffee at the table and then brought toast in a silver toast rack. There was a great choice of cereals on offer, as well as fresh juices, fresh fruit and croissants.
We were given the breakfast menu and I chose the vegetarian option which consisted of 2 fried eggs, hash browns, fresh grilled tomatoes and mushrooms. It was delicious. The waiter/waitress service in the restaurant is very professional and they are very polite.
We enjoyed the stay so much we booked an extra night. The room we had been in was booked out on 3rd night, but we were given another room (budget) it was smaller than our first room but equally as lovely and clean. I will never stay anywhere else other than The Empire Hotel from now on.
Staff, service, decor: just perfect.

1  Thank excitedtogo80
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Wonderful hotel that I would highly recommend to anyone desiring a "quality" hotel experience. Upmarket, classic decor, friendly staff and superb rooms. The only thing that can beat the decor is the food served in the hotel restaurant!!! Outstanding. I would certainly come back to The Empire, and hope to in the not-to-distant future.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family