“Lovely Hotel Very Clean Rooms amazing Resturant Lacks Atmosphere”

Empire Hotel Llandudno
Ranked #12 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 1 March 2009

Our second stay at the Empire. We stayed at the Town House next door room 86. Great room nice bed and lots of space.

Service at breakfast was speedy but the whole place lacked atmosphere. Staff didn't seem happy and the breakfast was off poor quality.

Shame really as everything else was wicked

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mcravenus

Reviewed 22 February 2009

Mum and I have just returned from a quiet girlie break pre baby arrival and couln't fault this hotel in any way. The hotel is extremely clean, the rooms are decorated beautifully with finishing touches such as gowns, swimming towels and complementary sherry on arrival. The 4 course evening meal is delicious with a fabuous choice from two menues and very generous portions. The hotel has a lovely atmosphere and staff are very helpful and friendly. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: February 2009
4  Thank mrsmWirral
Reviewed 2 February 2009

My husband and I have just returned from a four day stay at the Empire Hotel, it being a birthday present from my husband.
I must say that I was more than impressed with the Hotel, and the staff
The Hotel itself was fantastic, lovely comfortable beds, beautiful lounge area and dining room
Our twin room could have been bigger but it had everything one could need, tea/coffee facilities, fridge, large flat screened TV with freeview, safe, shoe cleaning material, even a glass of sherry each
As other reviewers have mentioned the owners have sourced loads of antiques and beautiful prints - one could spend hours just looking at these alone
The food was first class with plenty of choice, four courses in all and coffee - there were two menues to choose from, one which remained the same daily and the other chefs specials for the day
As for the staff they were brilliant, also one of the owners who was in the hotel most days either on reception or chatting to guests in the dining room, she had a ready smile for everyone - what a lovely personality
We cannot wait to return

Stayed: January 2009
3  Thank Rednana
Reviewed 27 January 2009

I have stayed here before but not for some 4 years due to children commitments etc.
However I ( and my financial advisor )managed to spend two nights there recently and I must say I didn't think they could ever improve this hotel but alas- it has actually moved up another notch due to a superb renovation of the pool / spa area which is now complete with neon mood lighting ( even in the steam room ).
There is now also a superb gym area overlooking the pool.

The renovation to the rear lounge and new restaurant area is simply stunning and would shame most 5 star hotels, in fact everywhere you look is like a magazine picture. There is still -however- an area of the original hotel just to keep the old memories alive.

The other main original restaurant area is still beautiful with just a new floor and furniture ( It was always a beautiful room anyway )

To top it new bathrooms ( although the old ones were stunning anyway- they did need upgrading ) and the food is still simply marvelous.

Llandudno is also still well looked after ( incidentally I don't work for the tourist board! ) and seems to be moving with the times albeit it is a very highly protected sea front so no change there, thank god. Tobogan /ski area and the views are simply stunning ( at the top of the Great Orme directly behind the hotel 5 min drive up ) Lovely old 300 year old 'real fire' pub just right, up hill behind tram car station ( Kings head )

Staff are very efficient and always friendly. In fact the barman ( Alvin? ) has the best manners I have come across and makes you feel like a special guest.
Large flat screen TV, rooms simply the best I have EVER stayed in, and I have been around!

Superb.

Tiny gripe, where did the candles disappear to- from the dinner tables- my financial advisor loves them ( I do too actually! )

Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TheCodfather2
Reviewed 7 October 2008

This was the second time our Rotary Club has stayed at the hotel and once again we were all impressed by everything about the hotel. Our room was very good very clean and well furnished. Although not overly large it was adequate for our needs. We were on the second floor , near both lift and stairs,The room was a corner room so we had an advantage of two windows. (We would ask for this room again)
As the hotel is situated at one end of the main shopping street - Mostyn Street - it was ideal for shopping. It is in the shadow of the Great Orme and its attractions and at the Pier end of the Promenade. The only disadvantage was that it was the opposite end of the Promanade to the Conference Centre but a pleasant walk on a good day and a Taxi journey cost about £2. The food in the Restaurant (Watkins & Co) was excellent as was the service. The was a good choice on the Menu. In the well stocked Bar the prices were reasonable and again the service was good.
Car parking is a little cramped but if used sensibly adequate. Beware of street parking restrictions apply during the day and and Traffic Wardens & parking tickets appear frequently

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Keith H
Reviewed 31 August 2008

We stayed for a mid week break, and having read some very positive reviews here, were looking forward to the experience. On the whole, we were not disappointed. The rooms were very nice, decorated in period furniture, some obviously original, but with well equipped modern bathrooms. The hotel is well situated and close to the town centre. The food was on the whole good, portions were generous, although if I were to be picky,some dishes lacked subtlety, and were slightly overcooked, possibly cooked in advance and re-heated.

The aspect of our stay which I feel could have had the greatest impact on our enjoyment however was the service. To be fair, I cannot say the staff were unhelpful, slow or inefficient, as service was quick, and any requests we had acted upon. What stood out for me was the universal seriousness of all I encountered, from the front of house, through to the dining staff. No-one smiled; There was no small talk or the usual checking that all was ok. It felt as if there had been a tragedy, and everyone was upset and unhappy. A small point maybe; as I say, the service was otherwise good, but surely this is the hospitality industry, and guests should be at least greeted with a smile. It would make such a difference!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank NW39
Reviewed 11 August 2008

We have just spent a really relaxing time at the Empire Hotel, LLandudno, North Wales, the welcome was friendly and help offered with luggage.The room was beautifully furnished with an extremely comfortable bed, the bathroom had just been refurbished, and tea & coffee making facilities in the room were very good. We had a choice of eating either in the Watkins Restaurant , slightly more formal than the newly refurbished Pool Side restaurant and bistro, both enjoying a high quality of food. The staff were attentive but not over the top and we enjoyed coffee and drinks after dinner in the warm ambience of the lounge/ bar area. Although our stay was quite brief this time we will certainly return to the Empire to enjoy again the good food, friendliness of staff and the hotels ambient surroundings.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank PAKloves
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandudno
The Imperial Hotel
The Quay Hotel & Spa
The Quay Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Deganwy
The Grand Hotel - Llandudno

Been to Empire Hotel Llandudno? Share your experiences!