“If you like clean rooms, DON'T stay here!”

Empire Hotel Llandudno
Ranked #10 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Malvern
“If you like clean rooms, DON'T stay here!”
Reviewed 10 July 2010

My family and I had been looking forward to this mini-break for ages; Llandudno has lots to offer for the majority of people. Obviously before booking, we read up on several hotels on Trip Adviser and finally decided on the Empire. The reviews on this hotel seem really good - WHY! When we arrived at the hotel, we walked into the reception area which seemed very tired-looking and in desperate need of a coat of paint. The receptionist was very helpful, a bit too friendly and reception area itself was very untidy and dis-organised.

After checking in, the porter came to show us to our room which we never would have found without him. The maze of narrow, shabby, dirty corridors in this hotel is incredible. Room 52 was our first stop. When we walked in, my heart sank. We'd booked a mini suite which was supposedly big enough to sleep my daughter on a sofa bed. The room was small with low ceilings, it smelt funny and the furniture was unbelievably horrible and tatty. The carpet looked as if it hadn't been hoovered in months, the paint on the windows was peeling off, the sheet on my daughter's bed was stained, there was a coffee stain on the wall just behind the bed, some of the light switches were sticky, the toilet was covered in thick dust. I would go on, but you might think I'm being too fussy.

Anyway, after all of that, I went downstairs to ask the receptionist to check us into another room. The only room that was available was room 56. On inspection, this room was only slightly better than the first, so we took it. Then around 3.30ish, we heard the sound that most people hate; the dreaded kitchen extractor fan! At this point, I wanted to check into another hotel. This extractor actually was switched off around 10.30, so it wasn't that bad, but staying in that room, you do get the cooking smells wafting into your room, which really wasn't nice at all.

We didn't eat in the hotel, except for breakfast which was very limited in choice. On looking round the hotel, the whole place needs attention and the professional touch. Definitely not a 4* hotel, more like 2*.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
7 Thank PlummyMummyMalvern

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Aberystwyth Wales. uk
Reviewed 8 July 2010

I was a regular user of this hotel for 20 years, After 10 year break I returned to find the same staff, The boss works with the staff and is very friendly to all.
. The service and staff are 1st clas. The food is the excellet. It is luxury to stay at Empire hotel
The rooms are beautiful clean, very comfortable
The situation of hotel may not be suitable for disabled as hotel has a incline to the front door, I am sure help would be provided/
Will return very soon

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Cardiff
Reviewed 25 June 2010

I go to Llandudno a couple of times a year for work, and usually stay at the Empire. I'm very attached to it, mainly because the bedrooms are so nice: elegant with lots of nice touches (like the mini cafetiere, sewing kit and - yes! - decanter of sherry in every room!) Bathrooms are particularly good and have all been replaced over the last couple of years. I've also found the service good - last time, my colleague and I turned up at 10pm only to find we had accidentally been booked into another hotel; the manager immediately sorted it out for us. The hotel is close to the seafront and about 15 minutes' walk from the station, 10 minutes from the main shopping area.

Lovely pool, steam room and sauna which have also been refurbished quite recently (you do have to have an exhibitionist streak, however, as they're overlooked by diners in the restaurant!)

The one criticism I have is of the food. I can't comment on the evening meals there as I haven't had one in some time (though I suspect the quality isn't as good as the Imperial, just along the seafront). But breakfasts are disappointing: limited choice and, on the cooked food, not great quality. This week I had scrambled eggs and bacon and the plate was swimming with grease. I'd like to see better quality ingredients and a wider selection on the buffet table (my impression is that this has been distinctly 'slimmed down' in recent years).

All in all: can't be beaten for the quality of the rooms and for character... but I'd stick to the cereal!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Manchester
Reviewed 4 June 2010

I have been staying here for 25 years (I'm now aged 32) and have some of my most memorable holidays here. I came back after a long break in 2001 and was a litle disappointed as we could only get in No. 72 and I prefer to be in the main hotel due to loving swimming and I prefer to walk from my bedroom to the pool in my robe. The rooms at this point had become worn and dated and was such a shame to see.
However, the refurb is amazing and for me has restored it and improved it beyond how it used to be.
I blame the Empire for me having expensive tastes and high expectations!!!!
Perfect for people who like a quiet, luxurious holiday. I've never been able to fault the staff or the food, it's just s shame the fish course on the evening meal has been dropped :-(
Will be back for our 10th anniversary!!!!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
Wales
Reviewed 3 June 2010

Stay with friends every year same time for 4 days and always have a wonderful time. This hotel is very welcoming and friendly, furnished beautifully and very comfortable. Have always stayed in main Empire building which contains the newly refurbished pool, steam room, gym and health spa, so relaxing. The management and staff are so helpful you cannot feel anything but part of The Empire Family.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
High Peak Derbyshire
Reviewed 1 June 2010

We revisited the Empire for three days in May and enjoyed the stay. A great asset of the hotel is the staff they are friendly always helpful and seem to enjoy working at the Hotel. This is borne out by the number of long service staff who greet you with a smile and a welcome
We had a mini suite which was well appointed and clean and fitted out with the usual Empire style furniture . For large people like myself {6'6'' ] the open plan Delux rooms are more suitable.
There has been a significant extension to the facilities including a high quality spa and these have been well blended in to the hotels existing environment
The meals are conventional witha good range of choice and daily changes. The meals are well prepared and the dining room service is very good as is the quality of the food. We found the meals provided excellent value.
The lounge and bar areas are large and comfortable though ssome of the period furniture could do with some renovation. This also applied to some of the bedroom furniture though the beds were modern 5' double of excellent quality.
Car parking is spread around the hotel and on first visit the reception staff are very helpful
It is one of the few hotels in Llandudno which has adequate parking spaces.
Though the peir,promenade and sea is close none of the rooms have good views.
It is worth knowing that the annexe No72 has spacious rooms but unlike the hotel itself no lifts.
In our opinion the hotel offers good value for money

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donald82
South Wales
Reviewed 16 May 2010

Stayed here for the week on a business trip at Number 72 and couldnt fault a thing. The hotel is lovely, staff are lovely and the food is second to none. Its very quiet at night so if its a good night sleep you are looking for then the Empire is for you.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business