“Fantastic, can't wait to go back”

Empire Hotel Llandudno
Ranked #12 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Stayed here on business & can't wait for my next trip. I also intend to go back for a holiday. The best things about this hotel are the wonderful decor & furnishings and the friendly, helpful staff. I met many people who were returning guests, some had been visiting for years.
I'm surprised some reviewers criticised the breakfast as I found it excellent. There was a good selection of fruits, cereals, yoghurts, juices etc - and if a juice did run out it was only a moment before it was refilled.
An great selection from the menu, all cooked freshly to order & delivered very promptly so no worries about being late for work. Much better than buffet breakfasts where food has sat for ages.
While the parking is limited, it is pretty good for such a small town. Remember this is a Victorian resort, built before everyone had cars! You can always park behind someone & leave keys with reception. And if you do get blocked in, it takes about two minutes for them to move the other car so it works really well.
The bar areas are extensive & range in styles from opulent traditional areas with chandeliers & leather armchairs to more modern areas with chrome & white stools. I was happy to sit on my own reading the paper with a glass of wine and always felt comfortable.
I stayed in room 32 which is a great location if you want to be close to the pool, gym & outdoor terrace.
Furnished very well, lots of space, and a great flat screen TV. Nice touches like quality shampoos etc, robes, and the famous sherry. And good to have someone show me to my room & help with my luggage. Everything was spotless & the bed was extremely comfortable with good quality linens, pillows etc.
This hotel really has an individual, personal, welcoming feel to it - you are definitely not yet another person in an indentical box!
I couldn't fault it and I've stayed in many 5 star hotels and consider myself pretty fussy!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 September 2010

We have stayed so many times at the Empire and have been going for over 14yrs when we leave we look forward to our next visit.There is no other hotel like it and is certainly value for money.From the little touches the food the serviceand charm of the hotel we dont feel you can beat it.Their sister hotel The Osbourne is just around the corner on the promenade and is well worth a visit the food is to die for and for that very special occasion is the place to stay.May I say looking forward to that next special occasion.I wouldnt hesitate to recommend The Empire to anybody and I make sure I do.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2010

This is our second visit, we stayed at No 72 located right next to the empire as the main hotel was full, What an excellent room spacious, comfortable and beautifully decorated.
The Hotel is close to the Great Orme tram and within easy walking distance of the Town centre many restaurants and quiet bars and the promanade, there are 2 restaurants in the Hotel an excellent breakfast being served in the main one and there is ample parking
all in all a brilliant Hotel for either a main holiday or a short break.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2010

Beautiful hotel, centrally located with excellent food and friendly helpful staff.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 September 2010

This was my first visit to Llandudno and I was very impressed with this hotel. The rooms are a touch on the small side, but perfectly adequate. Comfortable beds and surprisingly nice linens (much better quality than many 5* hotels). Lovely touches such as a cafetiere and ground coffee in the room, plus quality, melt-in-the-mouth, shortbread biscuits in a cannister - not the mass-produced, individually wrapped things you'd normally get. (they were not replenished for our second night though.) The service was exceptional from the moment we checked in to when we left. No request too small. Every member of staff we encountered, from receptionist to restaurant staff, spa therapist to housekeeping, was polite, friendly and welcoming. Made a huge impression!

We were only there for a couple of nights, but would stay there again without hesitation. A few minor things that could be improved:

- Whilst the overall standard of the food in the Watkins restaurant was very good, the puddings were a bit hit or miss, as were the potatoes (roasts were bad on both days and mash was horrible - perhaps made with cheap margerine?)
- The indoor pool & jacuzzi temperature were a bit cool; steam room also insufficiently hot; sauna all but switched off (at 7pm).
- Outdoor pool was a bit green and slimey so very uninviting... but then the weather was cool so we'd not have used it anyway.
- Whilst tea/coffee was included in our dinner/bed/breakfast package, we had to pay for decaf coffee.

A really lovely hotel. Well selected from reviews read here on Trip Advisor. Also loved exploring Llandudno for the first time, despite the disappointing weather. Will definitely return!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2010

I have been visiting this hotel for many years with my own children and now my grandchildren and we all feel so comfortable here. The staff are wonderful and really helpful, nothing is ever too much trouble for any of them

The public rooms are very relaxed and comfortable with plenty of room to spread out and not be on top of each other. The bedrooms are all different in size but very comfortable - none of your corporate cloned rooms, The swimming pool is great, as is the gym equipment should you feel the need to exercise! mind you as the food is excellent whether served in the lounge area or the restaurant that might be an idea, the only fault if you could call it that, is the dessert menu maybe needs varying more often!!! also maybe a little more attention to housekeeping wouldn't go amiss,

The Hotel is 5 minutes from the long beautiful promenade on which you can watch a Punch and Judy show, take a boat trip, walk on the beach, and there is a little train which goes round the town or visit the Ski Run in Happy Valley which is a lovely park , you can take a tram up to the top of the Orme, maybe take the cable car back down, and all within 5 mins from the Hotel. The Welsh Mountain Zoo is exceptional value for money and Penhryn Castle (National Trust) it is just 30 minutes away is a great day out

Having just returned from our trip we are now looking forward to our next family visit to The Empire Hotel and Llandudno.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Spent 2 days at the hotel with my daughter - the hotel is spotless and the the service of the staff was excellent nothing was too much trouble – the location of the hotel is also perfect – close to the Great Orme – we got the tram up the Great Orme and walked back down the views were breathtaking. There is a pub close to the tramway – the food is good and the pub itself is very welcoming. We ate at the Italian restaurant on the same road as the hotel the Bella Vista – we had home made pizza it was fantastic and the ambience in the restaurant was lovely. I will highly recommend this hotel – don’t forget to use the roof garden – most people didn’t seem to know about this so we had it to ourselves. The pool, sauna and steam room were very nice and again not overcrowded – full marks to the hotel and staff.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandudno
The Imperial Hotel
The Grand Hotel - Llandudno
The Quay Hotel & Spa
The Quay Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Deganwy

Been to Empire Hotel Llandudno? Share your experiences!