“love it, love it, love it”

Empire Hotel Llandudno
Ranked #10 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
england
“love it, love it, love it”
Reviewed 28 August 2007

My husband and I stayed for a long weekend, we have been to this hotel before and were really impressed so decided 'The Empire' would be the place to go for a real treat. How right we were. The hotel staff never cease to impress with their helpfulness and the food is absolutely to die for. The restaurant is one of the most beautifully decorated we have been to with small intimate alcoves or elevated seating, whatever the mood it seems to cater. Plus an opportunity for us ladies to dress up a little for dinner.

The rooms are expensively decorated, not always large rooms (unless you upgrade, then you get a real treat) but with all amenities ie: flat screen TV, DVD. Wireless internet access is availabe in most areas. Well worth a visit you would not be disapointed.

• Liked — The expensive decor and all amenities were there
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank hancockph

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
UK
Reviewed 20 August 2007

Bathroom air extractor was totally dead & the (recently installed) air conditioning system was temperamental - it usually warmed when it should have cooled & vice versa. Their maintenance man seemed unable to fix the AC but did volunteer that the whole hotel bathroom extract system was antiquated & needed replacement.

Food was generally ok but helpfulness of restaurant serving staff was not uniformly acceptable.

Reception Desk staff advised me to write about our disappointing experiences to the proprietor, Mrs L E Maddocks, who infuriatingly replied that the extract & AC systems were "in working order". She did however send a £50 credit note - which was of no personal value since even if we ever were to return to Llandudno it would not be to the evidently engineeringly challenged Empire!

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Attidude of proprietor in dealing with our complaint
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bobmUK
Lancashire
Reviewed 12 August 2007

You should not consider this hotel because the owners simply do not understand the meaning of customer service. The owners only seem interested in money making rather than acknowledging that customers exist and, when problems do occur, they are quite simply patronising and extremely rude (I could use other choice words here), and do not acknowledge that anything is there fault.

There is in fact a funny story to tell here - but if you are elderly, claustrophobic or a single traveller you could have been put in danger by this hotel.

I was staying at this hotel recently when, on closing the bathroom door, the mechanism broke, which left me trapped with no means of notifying anyone - no phone, no alarm....nothing!. Thankfully my parter returned to the room and was able to phone reception. After some minutes the owner arrived, who tried to open the door herself (like we hadn't tried already and advised that a engineer was needed!).

I was then told that an engineer would be called to get me out, only to be surprised to find that a waitor came to the room (who was laughing and joking about me being trapped, even though I had now been in the steaming hot bathroom for some 30mins). The waitor had no tools apart from a small screwdriver that looked like it came out of a Christmas cracker and the owner said that no engineer could come as they were located in Rhyl - a shocking 40 miles from the hotel (great planning?).

After a great deal of banging it was decided that the screwdriver be swung to me on the chord of my dressing gown from the bedroom window so I could take the lock or hinges off from the inside - unfortunately the handle had been painted in so I had to prise it off and the the hinges were capped and could not be removed.

Thereafter the owner asked a few of her waitors to kick the door down and, after one had tried and hurt himself, another managed to break a hole in the door. I was then asked to climb through the hole, which was covered in splinters and caused me to cut my hand and foot.

Before I climbed out through the door I asked the owner to wait outside of the room for me to preserve the last remnants of my dignity - at which point she offered to compesate my for being trapped with 'a glass of brandy'. To my horror, when I got out she had left! Thereafter, she refused to acknowlege any issue, even though the incident had clearly ruined my evening and stay and the words 'sorry' never came. There was not even an offer for a change of room and nobody from the hotel ever asked whether I was ok thereafter.

The final part of the story is to confirm that my partners father managed to obtain a refund for part of the bill when we left - which in no way equalled the treatment I received. As I say, thankfully I'm young, I dread to imagine what would have happened if I were elderly, claustrophobic or on my own. Unfortunately, due to the attitude of the owners I doubt anything will be done to ensure this does not happen again - consider yourself warned!!!

• Liked — Leaving!
  • Disliked — The lack of any customer service
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
18 Thank int_traveller
Inverness, Scotland
Reviewed 10 July 2007

I stayed here for 3 nights in February 2005 through work. This hotel was lovely. My bedroom was very tastefully decorated with a four posted bed, hugh mirrors, and a massive jacuzzi bath - to me it was out of this world.

My room was at the front of the hotel so I had a view down one of the main streets. There was also a wee sherry to be had at bedtime.

I didnt use the leisure facilities, but they looked very clean and well kept.

We ate breakfast and dinner at the hotel, and it couldnt be faulted. However food does always taste better when someone else is paying for it.

The hotel is close to the centre of Llandudno, which was very quiet because of the time of year. However I did enjoy walking along the sea front but the pier was closed.

• Liked — The bedroom, the bed, the jacuzzi, the food, the sherry
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed February 2005, travelled on business
4 Thank Lexielegs
Cheshire
Reviewed 6 June 2007

We visited the hotel in May as a family of 9 for the second year running. The weekend package is excellent value, staying Fri to Sunday with Sunday lunch thrown in. We had 2 standard rooms and 2 mini suites all were lovely. The breakfast is fine with full english served to the table. The evening meal was 4 courses and then coffee in the lounge, with a good choice on the menu. Location wise the hotel is ideally located, but you need to get there early as parking is limited and in summer months street parking can be quite difficult to find. Pool area is a little dated but this is being upgraded this July. Overall I would recommend this hotel and we will definately return (with some of our party making a return trip in July). Only a couple of negatives - the childs high chairs were very dirty and not at all looked after and some evening entertainment on a Saturday night would go down well.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank Melissa11
Essex
Reviewed 5 June 2007

A few hic-ups on arrival with the room but staff sorted out quickly and professionally. Excellent home cooked food. Sally, a temporary student added the sparkle to our stay. She beamed with friendless from dawn to dusk. A true gem.

• Stayed June 2007
2 Thank Tanzs
Salisbury
Reviewed 15 May 2007

The last time that I stayed at the Empire was when I was 4 years old, now 14 years on and I really can appreciate this hotel and all that it has to offer. If you are looking for a hotel with that extra something then this one is for you, even if you are a real urbanite your not trapped in anyway from the outside world with free broadband internet connection in the hotel and the town itself has all the big names as well as some personal and different outlets- I really do like this area and hope that maybe I can return one day! (maybe I will have to see if I can do some work experience through one of my college subjects as i'd like to try the whole hospitailiy thing!) Ignore previous comments about poor staffing, as this now is definently not the case with really friendly staff- especially those at the recpetion desk. The hotel is contantly being updated with the new swimming pool, beautician area and gym coming soon which will really bring a new leace of life to the hotel.

Great food, staff, service, rooms and experience = the empire!

• Stayed May 2007, travelled with family