“welcome to Fawlty Towers without the humour”
Review of Hen-Dy Guesthouse

Hen-Dy Guesthouse
Ranked #9 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 15 September 2009

We have just returned from a stay at this hotel. This was the second and last time, it was so completely different from our first stay. The owners David and Louise did marvelous impressions of Basil Fawlty but without the charm and humor and Morticia Adams but less cheerful. My wife and I have stayed in hotels all over the world and have never had such a miserable reception. We have spent over £1,200 this year at this hotel and won't be spending another penny . If you stay here you can expext to be snapped at and if you are not part of the in crowd treated as a second class citizen and don't expect to get what you booked or paid for as David will change it .

The food was average and I have seen my wife cook for more people and provide more choice of menu without flapping and rushing. Parking is advertised, but it is on a if your face fits or not basis. Could not recommend this hotel any more.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank trucker007

Reviewed 6 September 2009

As frequent travellers to llandudno and having tried quite a few hotels and B&Bs when we came across the hen-dy we thought this was everything that we wanted from a hotel so needless to say we now don`t stay anywhere else in llandudno.Louise and David are superb hosts and go the extra mile and up to yet anything my wife and i have asked for they have gone out of there way to make our stay perfect even making sure we get parked as soon as we arrive.The food is superb and plenty of it and seeing that i am a`6ft 4 man i take some feeding but have never left the dining room feeling hungry.The bar is well stocked and reasonably priced , we never fail to have a great night laughing and joking with the hosts and other guests ( even on the spontaneous hawaiian night ). So to sum up great hotel, great hosts and lots of people returning to stay speaks for itself.

Reviewed 5 September 2009

In late August my great grandparents went for a weeks holiday at the Hen-Dy Hotel in Llandudno. During the week my parents, sister and myself went for day to see them. We didn't stay overnight or anything but in the evening we had a lovely meal in the downstairs restaurant with them. we thought that the hotel room that my great grandparents were staying in was very nice, the lounge and bar area was a very nice size, with good decor. The restaurant was also really nice, with good seating arrangements and soft music playing in the background. The staff were really nice, only met Louise to talk to, but from what my granparents said, the other staff seemed really nice, pleasant and helpful as well. Even though we didn't stay, it was just a days visit, i would definately recomend the hotel! Anyone who doesn't recomend it must be very difficult to please! :) :) :)

PS. We also went last September, with the meal in the evening, and thought exactly the same of it!

Reviewed 30 August 2009

We booked a trip to Llandudno on the spur of the moment. With help from Tripadvisor, I contacted the proprietor about availability and he came back to me superquick. We booked the room for 3 at the back and it was a nice room. The bed was really comfy and everything was really clean and tidy.

The hosts were friendly and attentive without being too OTT.

The breakfast was delicious and served very quickly though you had to be in the dining room between 8:30 am and 9:00 to get it, which suited us. I ate & drank until I nearly burst! I had a huge teapot to myself and my husband a big cafetiere.

The place was quiet and nicely decorated. I would recommend this place to anyone wanting a quiet stay right on the seafront near the pier. The location was excellent.

Reviewed 28 August 2009

After a long and pretty horrendous drive from Devon to North Wales, it was a very welcome relief to finally arrive at our destination. Although we arrived much later than anticipated, the owners Dave and Louise gave us a very warm welcome and supplied us with food and refreshment.
The hotel is right on the seafront with unriveled views of Llandudno bay, with plenty of bars and restaurants a short walk away.
Our room (no 7) was beautifully decorated and very comfortable taking full advantage of the view.
I'm not normally a 'fry up' breakfast person but after the first day I became a convert, the breakfast was superb, the choice of evening meals was varied, well cooked and superbly presented.
Dave and Louise were very helpful with local information and attraction advice to ensure we saw the best North Wales has to offer.
We came away with a great impression of North Wales and Llandudno and will definately be returning to Hen Dy which offered excellent value for money, great service, and a friendly helpful atmosphere.
See you again next year

Reviewed 26 August 2009

having seen the review entitled "Food as Luke warm as the welcome" I felt that I had to enquire if these people stayed in the same Hen-Dy hotel as we did? (as we have done many times ).
I STRONGLY feel that I have to disagree with ALL their comments, Louise and David ALWAYS give the most warm welcome, the Hotel is SPOTLESSLY clean . food is OUTSTANDING and the portions are MORE than generous . We have stayed in several Hotels in Llandudno and WOULD NOT hesitate to strongly recommend this SUPER Hotel as being one of the VERY BEST that Llandudno has to offer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed 24 August 2009

we stayed for a midweek break at the hen dy we booked the b n b(to call it a hotel is a joke) upon reading the reviews on this site and as such were expecting far far more, the decor is very dated and the food is poor (eg a minute piece of preformed fish, if you order fish at a seside resort you could at least expect a fillet of fish, the trifle was what i can only desribe as a bowl of slush and bares not one bit of semblence to any trifle we have ever seen we found the owner louise to be very stand-offish and unhelpful the stairs at the hen dy are horrendous as to are the stairs down to the tiny,gloomy dining room the car parking is poor down a tiny unsecure back alley and can only accomadate 4 cars at maximum as i said in my title all of the meals and breakfasts we had were cold and we were some of the first guests down at meal times we were told by louise on arrival that our choice of evening meals were required by 2 pm however be aware that upon going upstairs from the dining room after breakfast louise will be lurking annoyingly at the top of the stairs asking what you want for evening meal some 9 hours before its time this is really rude and after all how many people wish to order that early on much depends on how the weather goes and appetite etc please look elsewhere for over £50 per person per night the place is vastly overpriced there are many many more better places in llandudno available cheaper or only slightly more expensive we are not serial moaners and genuinelly believe in praising good service but we felt the hen dy was very very poor .

4  Thank samphil