“Excellent”

Bodysgallen Hall & Spa
Ranked #15 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 16 November 2011

The hall and gardens are self-evidently wonderful but that would not make a great hotel without the excellent staff which you have and the superb food you provide.
We had a delightful break.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cratcliffe

Reviewed 11 November 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights as part of a prize we won on a game show. This place feels lost in time, like something out of a movie. As you take the windy driveway up to the main building, you go through a picturesque field of sheep. The service is very personal - you can order a drink from a staff member anywhere in the large house, and they’ll just remember to add it to your check-out bill, nothing to sign. We even made friends with the night porter Martin, who insisted on taking us out sightseeing the next day. Although the people at Bodysgallen try hard to exude warmth, the building feels a lot like a museum. Are we allowed to sit on this? Touch that? Take pictures? (Probably not, but we snuck a few anyway.) One thing that is explicitly not allowed is modern-day technology in public areas - no cell phones, no laptops. They have a laptop for guests to borrow free of charge, but they ask that you take it up to your room. The room itself felt like home, warm and cozy, and filled with lovely touches like cookies in the sitting area and a towel heater in the bathroom. Breakfast was delicious - the pastries were exceptional. However, the portions of the made-to-order items were a little too dainty for my hearty American appetite. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone on a romantic escape, happy to curl up by the fireplace for hours with a good book. Although Bodnant Gardens and all the outdoor activites in Snowdonia are a short drive away, this hotel is not a good fit for anyone on a sight-seeing adventure. The other patrons who are paying good money to enjoy the fanciness won’t appreciate your weather-appropriate jeans and sneakers.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anchaya
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Standing in over 200 acres of its own parkland to the south of Llandudno with spectacular views of Snowdonia and Conwy Castle. Believed to have 13th century origins, Bodysgallen Hall provides all that is best in country house hospitality, in fact, it is the highest rated country house hotel in Wales. Beautiful gardens include a rare 17th century parterre of box hedges filled with sweet-scented herbs, a rockery with a cascade, a walled rose garden, and several follies.

Historic House Hotels Limited has skillfully and sympathetically restored the 17th century house. The hotel has two restaurants, with imaginative food, which has been awarded three rosettes by the AA for fine-dining in the Main Hall, and is prepared from fresh local produce and complemented by fine wine. A Bistro called 1620, named after the oldest build-date of the Main Hall. In September 2008 this company donated all its interests in BODYSGALLEN HALL and the other two HISTORIC HOUSE HOTELS to the NATIONAL TRUST, with all profits benefiting the houses and the charity.

Bodysgallen's Spa, reached by a short walk through the gardens, was converted from an original stone-built farmhouse. It contains a magnificent 50-foot swimming pool, five treatment rooms, a relaxation room, whirlpool spa bath, steam room and sauna. The gymnasium has a wide range of equipment for all levels of fitness. http://www.bodysgallen.com/

Some of us had rooms in the main house while others had rooms in Hall Cottages…I had the Bailiffs Cottage. The cottages offer a greater degree of privacy and some have their own private garden. They are the ideal place for couples and families travelling together or a romantic break, and a perfect base from which to discover the glorious countryside. The cottages have a bedroom, some with two or three bedrooms, bathroom, sitting room and a separate area for making tea or coffee. VERY POSH INDEED and I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful it was to wake up the next morning and see all this incredibly green lush landscape surrounding us. The 17th Century Parterre garden was just below where I was with boxwood planted in 1885.. All the cottages have beautiful gardens enveloping them. A joy to get up early, walk and take photographs.

Room Tip: The cottages are wonderful to stay in, very private and have everything you need for a perfect stay.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank ICanTravelPanama
Reviewed 26 October 2011

This was my second visit to Bodysgallen and there is a reason why.

~I LOVE THIS PLACE.!!!!!

I first visited Bodysgallen in May 2011 with my Sister and Mother.
We stayed 3 nights in Blythe cottage, which is a beautiful 3-bedroom cottage with its own garden. The Lounge area is huge and the bedrooms are a reasonable size. There was enough space in the cottage for 3 of us, possible even more. Was certainly handy to have 2 showers for 3 girls.

We made good use of the Spa facilities by having 6 treatments between us. We all felt very relaxed and happy with the service we had received. We had consulted with the beautician that my mother wasn’t well at the time and they made sure they could do everything possible to make her visit was special and as comfortable as possible. This included letting her fall asleep in the lounge for 30mins.

We ate in the dining room the first night, we were like a bunch of schoolgirls, so excited with what we had ordered and jealous of what each other had got. The food was super fantastic, could not fault a thing. There was a fantastic Greek waiter called Nicolas, which made our dining experience complete.

On the second night my mother wasn’t feeling too well, so my sister and me ate in the Dining room, but we ordered food to the room and the standard was just like eating in the restaurant. The scallop with braised Pork is totally amazing!

We were all very happy with the service we had received and were quite sad to leave. We all came away with some very special memories, never to be forgotten.

So now I am writing another review after visiting for my second time. My partner and me have just spent two nights in Bodysgallen as a week-retreat. We booked this because of the special “late-availability” offer. Which is fantastic value.

This time we stayed in Park Cottage. The cottage was lovely and enchanting. My partner was very impressed with the cottage (it was the first time he’d come here) and the facilities available. This is a one-bedroom cottage with a lovely lounge and superb bedroom. The bedroom is a fantastic size for a cottage.
We walked in the grounds, which we lovely and well maintained.

We ate in the main dining room every night and the food is totally amazing. The food was a definite highlight to our stay, couldn’t wait to eat in the evening.
(Only thing I would change is to have maybe a little background music to break the silence).

I would defiantly stay in Bodysgallen again, I do love it here. It’s a fantastic place for an escape. The location setting makes, everything tranquil and beautiful.

I would recommend this place to anyone. I have never received any stuffy or snotty behavior from the staff, and I walk about in my usual jeans and trainers (apart from in the Dining Room, obviously).

Cant wait to go again.... Thankyou Bodysgallen for everything...!!!

Room Tip: I have always stayed in the cottages, so i cant comment on the rooms in the actual house. But i kno...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ms_Orange81
Reviewed 19 October 2011

We called at this hotel on spec for tea...it was empty and we were given a very rude and hostile reception and a huge fuss was made as to whether we had booked to arrive for tea ! During the visit the waiter service was hostile and unfriendly to the point where we thought it was hilarious...fawlty towers but very expensively so...we expected a snooty Basil to turn up any minute at all and ask whether we would make sure that we booked if we intended to call for tea again. Basically the staff need to be sent to a charm school for a couple of months and shown how to make people welcome. If I were a foreign visitor to Wales and this was my first encounter with Welsh hospitality I would be on the first plane home..... given the tourist downturn in Wales generally I would have thought they would make more effort. Definitely a place I shall not visit again

Michael Smith

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
17  Thank pinto1234567
Reviewed 11 October 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed in The Gingerbread House for a long weekend and were thrilled with our experience. Having stayed at many five-star spa resorts and country houses across the UK, I was initially a bit disappointed with the fact that the spa and rooms weren't as "slick" as the places I was used to frequenting. However, it quickly became evident that these were only minor criticisms that could be easily overlooked in light of the beautiful, expansive grounds the Hall occupies and the stellar service from staff who are clearly proud to work at such a distinguished establishment. The weather was windy but warm when we visited and we took the opportunity to walk to Conwy Castle, which only took about 45 minutes from the Hall itself and was a lovely, leisurely walk. We spent much of our time in the spa using the facilities and I had a massage treatment carried out by a highly professional and friendly therapist. Although it was clear that the clientele staying at the Hall that weekend were quite a bit older than us and seemingly regular visitors, not once were we met with any sort of snobbery or judgment from the staff, who were always courteous, eager to help, and friendly. We left to return to our hectic lives in the city feeling refreshed, pampered and happy. I would definitely recommend Bodysgallen for a short getaway in all seasons.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Angloyankophile
Reviewed 20 September 2011

This is the second time i have stayed here, and it didn't disappoint. The Gingerbread House was a little cottage in the grounds, with it's own little garden. Utterly charming. The staff are immensely helpful, and the food superb. We ate on Friday in the bistro, pricey but brilliant, and the main restaurant on Saturday, which I felt was in many ways better value, as the food was a s good as any in a top London restaurant, and fairly priced.. Would rec@d to anyone, as the gardens are well worth a visit alone. The spa staff were a delight and the pool divine...would love to go again soon. Just ensure you book thru a website like late rooms etc, as the savings from there make it a sensible price. Sara & Lauren G, Reading Berks , Sept 2011

Room Tip: Take any, they are al llovely.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank sra f
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandudno
2 mi away
Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa
Merrion Hotel
Merrion Hotel
#23 of 60 in Llandudno

Been to Bodysgallen Hall & Spa? Share your experiences!