“Don't bother-not what it used to be !”

Bodysgallen Hall & Spa
Ranked #14 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Very disappointing compared with it's reputation and past success.
Poor ambiance and service-felt as though the place was struggling and not prioritising guest's needs. Lovely grounds but ...
Poor staff cohesion and front of house. Reception were not a good representation for the hotel.
The richness of the place was lost by incompetence and poor management
Staff training is recommend for personnel and to facilitate guest comfort and satisfaction.
A 2 night stay -not in the hotel but in a cottage with dinner cost £1002.14 .!!!

Room Tip: Find somewhere else. Some rooms may be excellent but ambiance,service and value for money-nil.
7  Thank Maggie R

Reviewed 12 August 2012

We booked for 2 nights in a cottage with elderly parents to celebrate a milestone birthday. The grounds are beautiful and the little touches like the 'turn down' service made us feel we were somewhere special. The restaurant where we ate on the first night is good but portions, especially for desserts are just plain daft (no more than 3 mouthfuls for £11!). Plus we've never paid so much for B&B and have to pay a hefty supplement if you wanted a cooked breakfast. We stuck with continental which was very ordinary. We opted for the Bistro on the second night where there were only 3 other diners; we left an empty restaurant at 7.40pm and I'm really not surprised. Again, incredibly overpriced but this time poorly cooked, very small portions and no atmosphere. This part of their business needs grabbing by the scruff of the neck - in such a beautiful setting in the middle of a tourist area, it should be thriving in late July. Spa very nice. So overall nice little break but wouldn't rush to return - we can get much better value elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank lovingcitybreaks
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We were on a special package and had booked a superior cottage. We were allocated The Baliff's House which was decorated in a traditional style with lots of chintz. What let it down was the bathroom that was more boarding house standard than country house hotel and we backed on to the entrance to the hotel kitchens so had an extractor fan and delivery vehicles spoiling what should have been a very peaceful place.
We had a delicious meal in the restaurant in fine surroundings overlooking the wonderful view but were very disappointed in the dining experience in the Bistro which lacked character and had a very limited menu.
The Spa was enjoyable with a good sized pool and we enjoyed our back, shoulder and neck massage included in our package.
In our dinner bed and breakfast package we were allocated £43 per person for dinner. In the bistro we didnt manage to spend all of this but in the main dining room it did not cover the cost of a three course meal. I feel that a dinner, bed and breakfast rate should include dinner preferably with coffee! Or maybe there should be a daily menu included and the chance to go a la carte if preferred?
Coming back to our cottage after dinner and finding that housekeeping had been in and closed all the curtains and switched on lights as well as turn down service was delightful.
Beautiful surroundings, lovely flower arrangements, charming manager and no children.
We would like to visit again if the manager will have us after the criticism but would be more careful which accommodation we reserved and would not bother with the Bistro.
Ps to management - please can you supply hair conditioner? Sorry to mark down sleep quality but as I reported the noisy plumbing woke us each night and as we left maintenance were on to it.

Room Tip: Baliff's House backs onto the area where deliveries are made to the kitchens. There is an extra...
2  Thank Yorkplace
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Beautiful house and gardens. I think my wife and I were the youngest clientele by 10-15 years. I walked around the well-tended grounds and saw no-one else at all! Nice cottage to stay in, but a little bizarre that the "kitchen" featured a fridge and sink but only a couple of cups, a teapot/cafetiere, teaspoons and a corkscrew! No wine glasses, no plates etc. I know it is not a self-catering hotel but a few little items would make life more comfortable and relaxing.
We had arrived from Moddershall Spa Hotel and were expecting something a bit similar for the spa here (calm music, large jacuzzi, luxury items in the showers, bathrobes, spa building connected to the main building). Of course, the latter was not possible in this National Trust set of buildings, which was ok but made the spa feel a little more like a private health club than a hotel spa. The jacuzzi was very small and the control not working (was "on" all the time); the temperature gauge in the sauna was not working (registered 100 deg C - which clearly was not true) - mentioned to the staff and they promised to take a look but I did not go back again to find out. The changing rooms and showers felt like a public swimming pool, to be honest. Sauna itself and the steam room both very nice and relaxing. I saw that this spa was rated (on some websites) as being one of the top ten in the UK.....I am very surprised by this!
We also ate in the hotel one evening. Staff were very nice. Food looked very nice indeed and clearly the chef has some good ideas and some good cooking skills. But there was a lack of taste to many of the items (the pork belly, the red-pepper pannacotta, the lamb) - perhaps a lack of seasoning? Perhaps just my (and my wife's) taste as many others have written about how wonderful the food was....but I don't think so. I certainly think it was expensive for what you got. I was also surprised not to be asked how I wanted my lamb, and after living in France for 20 years I was shocked that the lamb was brown and not pink! We skipped dessert. The wine was good and not bad value. Breakfast was not bad at all.

In summary, the location and buildings are superb. The facilities (spa and restaurant) not as good as I was expecting - especially for the money.

1  Thank David B
Reviewed 4 August 2012

It's many a long year since I've dined at Bodysgallen Hall, but I returned today with my sister for lunch. The experience was even better than I had remembered. The food and service were excellent. My regards to the chef. The quality of food and attention to detail were superb. It was such a treat to be served cheese at room temperature!
The hall and grounds have, I believe, improved. The atmosphere is comfortable, quiet and relaxing. Views are quite stunning, even on a showery Welsh summer's day! We could not resist a stroll around the well kept gardens and wood. Magical!
We are returning later in the year with our extended family (three generations) for a three night break and know that, with its extensive grounds, extremely well appointed public rooms and spa, Bodysgallen Hall will offer something for all of us.

Room Tip: The staff are very helpful in advising on choice and suitability of rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I visited the spa whilst staying in Llandudno and thought it would be nice for the lady I took with learning disabilities and myself to have a treat with a treatment which cost us £140.My treatment was one and half hours and my friend was a one hour treatment. I am a qualified beautician so I am aware of how treatments should be. The treatment I received I thought was not worth the money spent as I have had a similar treatment where I live. Obviously my friend enjoyed hers as she doesn’t know how it’s meant to make you feel when leaving. I have emailed the hotel and not received a reply so I thought I would comment on trip adviser. It’s set in lovely grounds and is meant to have a high standard but I wished I had not gone there and could have had the treatment twice over for the money we spent and walked out feeling really relaxed.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank dianecuthbert
MACJ, General Manager at Bodysgallen Hall & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2012

We are sorry if the reviewer did not enjoy their experience during a recent visit to our Spa, and that we were not informed of any short comings with a view to our putting things right at the time of the visit. We are also sorry that the reviewer has stated in the public domain that we have not responded to their direct communication, when in fact we have.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

I have stayed at Bodysgallen Hall on 2 occasions and both times it has been a lovely experience. I have stayed in the main hall and also in one of the cottages, the latter was a great as it was really spacious and the 3 people I was with could all join for pre dinner drinks in comfort. The main hall room was equally as nice, but a little smaller. Great quality though either way. The hall is lovely to wander around and you can sit in front of the log fire in winter and enjoy the ambience. I has dined there and the food and quality of service equalled the quality you would expect. Of course there are always the lovely tended gardens or the spa to enjoy whilst you are there. Would totally recommend a stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank JosieGirl70
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandudno
The Imperial Hotel
Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa
Empire Hotel Llandudno
Empire Hotel Llandudno
#12 of 60 in Llandudno

Been to Bodysgallen Hall & Spa? Share your experiences!