Bodysgallen Hall & Spa
  • Beachfront
Hydro Hotel(Llandudno)
  • Breakfast included
Good 3.5/5
All reviewsnational trustconwy castlethe cottagescountry houseafternoon teathe main housedrawing roomprivate gardenformal gardenssmall kitchennorth walesdining roomsteam roombodnant gardenspublic roomsnight porterbirthday treat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 March 2013

The hotel is a couple of miles outside of Llandudno in extensive grounds. The hotel is an old house built in 1620, with lots of original oak pannelling in the bar, restaurant and lounges, and there are many old paintings and antiques. There is also a separate bistro called 1620 which is in a separate building down a flight of steps, this is closed on Sundays. The spa is in another building a short walk from the hotel, but if the weather is bad you could drive.

The accomodation is either in the main building, or in cottages behind the hotel. We stayed in a second floor cottage which had a small bedroom, a bathroom, a small kitchen with a fridge and kettle, and a lounge. Tea and coffee making facilities were provided with authentic cups and teapot, bottle water was also provided. The lounge was comfortable with a sofa, an armchair and a tv and dvd player. The bedroom was small with built in wardrobe, a small double bed which was rather hard for our tastes, and a dresser and side tables. An umbrella is also provided.

The spa has a resaonable size pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. It also has a couple of treatment rooms. There is also a rest area where you can have a buffet breakfast.

The service at the hotel is excellent, the staff are friendly and want to please. The evening menu had a choice of about 6 starters, main courses and desserts, the quality was good, it was well presented, but the portions were a little on the small size, with few vegetables. Be prepared to spend £50 per head excluding wine, although the wine prices themselves were reasonable. The bistro was more reasonably priced, but we couldn't try this as it was closed on a Sunday. Breakfast was a good choice, with freshly cooked full breakfast and porridge.

On our second evening we drove to an Italian restaurant called Carlos which was about 3 miles from the hotel on the outskirts of the town. I cannot recommend this highly enough, excellent service, great food and well priced.

Room Tip: The cottages are like going back in time, but we liked them. There are also rooms in the main building but we did not see these.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2013

This is the hotel that I first had lunch with my now wife, nearly 16 years ago, and try to visit at least each year. This is the oldy worldt type of hotel where service is king and the accomadation and food are without equal. It is expensive, but it leaves a warm feeling each time we visit, I realise we might be slightly biased because of what it means to us, but all the staff are so friendly and helpful, and the gardens and cottages are beautiful.Just the place for a very special treat

Room Tip: The cottages are a wonderful place to stay
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I decided to take my Mother for her 80th birthday just for lunch. Unfortunately the restaurant in the main hotel wasn't open (it being a Tuesday in February) but I decided to book the 1620 bistro as my Mother loves Llandudno and it was a chance to experience the hotel. My husbad and I have stayed preivously (for New Year) and had lunch in the bistro.

We arrived late as we got slightly lost! My Mother did mention to the lovely waitress that it might be helpful if there were more signs available around Llandudno pointing you in the right direction. We had to ask several locals before eventually finding it. (SatNav is not an option - my husband and I tried that and ended up ringing the hotel for directions anyway!)

That said, we had a most enjoyable lunch experience. We chose a main/dessert option. My Mother had the chicken with polenta which was beautifully presented and I opted for the mussels as a main course. They were absolutely gorgeous, hot and the "jus" divine. I ordered chips as an afterthought and they arrived promptly and were really crisp and hot!

Chocolate Mousse was my Mother's choice and I opted for the rhubarb crumble which was absolutely delicious. I have to say the presentation and attention to detail was second to none in all the dishes.

The young lady waitress was extremely attentive and a delightful addition to the experience.

I would definitely make the trip again and hopefully enjoy lunch in the main hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We looked forward to returning to this hotel from the minute we left last time. It did not disappoint, staff and facilities were excellent yet again. The food in the Bistro was excellent and very reasonably priced too. Our room this time was Mill Cottage and as we had our small dog with us it had a little garden area. There are walks in the grounds and really no need to move the car during your stay, this makes it all the more relaxing. The gardens are very well cared for and in the next couple of weeks will be wonderful with all the spring flowers.
We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Always fancied staying in this National Trust hotel, and the day came at last on my birthday.
Suffice to say everything met up with expectations. Our room - park cottage- was more like a little flat, with large lounge, enormous bedroom and bed (zip link). There was a little "kitchen" to make tea (no cooker though - as if you would want one).
Two bathrooms, two tvs, and the soft furnishings were sumptuous.
The pool was gorgeous, nice and warm.
The food in the main restaurant was delicious - expensive yes but you knew that when you booked it didn't you? Little tip, when you order your main course order some extra veg, because you don't receive any. didn't take anything away from the gorgeousness of the food but we were a bit hungry, no matter we had pud!
The building itself was beautiful, yes very national trust - and the garden, well it reminded us of Powys castle nuff said.
Finally, the staff were lovely, welcoming, informal, just right.

Oh yes, we will be back!

Room Tip: Park cottage is enormous,and allowed our little dog
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple