“a very special experience”

Bodysgallen Hall & Spa
Ranked #14 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
New York
“a very special experience”
Reviewed 15 February 2009

I have stayed at this hotel twice and have found it to be the closet thing I could imagine to having my own country manor. I felt very much at home in the domestic setting and loved the antique decoration. The garden is a destination in its own right. My only regret is that I did not plan more time to lounge around the hotel and tour the extensive grounds. I also got 25% off using my Royal Oak Foundation member discount.

• Stayed June 2008
2 Thank timelytravler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
wales
Reviewed 12 February 2009

We decided to hold our wedding at Boydsgallen as upon the first visit the grounds took my breath away! We got a fantastic deal on the (rooms and venue) price as it was out of season and booked quite late, to put in perspective it was cheaper than holding it at a standard hotel with less than pleasing gardens! Our guests were overwhelmed at how lovely the place was. Even the rain held back and we managed to have our photos taken. The food was absolutely lovely and we couldn't have asked for a better place to have our wedding. The staff left us alone on the day and didn't impose their rigid rules on us, which I have to admit did worry me at the outset. Overall would highly recommend the venue for a very special wedding for anyone!

• Stayed January 2009
2 Thank fbm
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed 5 February 2009

We had planned our stay at Bodysgallen to be the luxurious finale of a great road trip through Wales. And upon entering the wooded grounds and seeing the main Hall for the first time, we were not disappointed. However, our excitement soon turned to frustration and anger as we faced a gauntlet of stuffiness, from a long list of guest rules to dining room staff who were downright rude. The list of rules included strict dress codes for dining and public areas, limitations on children, allowed ambient noise levels, proper etiquette in the main House, etc., etc. The net result of so many rules was that we felt uncomfortable, and spent much of our time in our suite. When we did venture out the first night to try the dining room we were the first diners to be seated--by the kitchen door. I am not kidding, there were no other people in the entire two-room restaurant and they seated us at the absolute worst table. When we politely asked to be moved, the waitress haughtily indicated this was impossible, and we should inquire at the front desk if we wanted a specific table location! (This was an unwritten rule!) So, feeling a bit abashed, we left and had room service. As luck would have it, the next morning at breakfast, we had the same waitress. Apparently upset with us because of the prior night's interaction, she again sat us by the kitchen door saying, "I TOLD you we have a strict seating policy, and you MUST talk to the front desk " We were of course thrilled to hear this information again, this time without even asking. Bottom line, we now felt really uncomfortable, and ended up having our meals elsewhere. I would (and did) suggest to Hotel Management that in today's travel environment, it is possible to have exclusivity and luxury without stuffiness and rudeness.

• Liked — Beautiful location
  • Disliked — Stuffy atmosphere and rude staff
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
11 Thank JJBayArea
Wrexham
Reviewed 3 January 2009

My husband and I have just had a fantastic one night stay at Bodysgallen Hall. We can't wait to visit again soon!
We booked a room on a "late deal" website, so could hardly believe it when we were given a cottage suite, with sitting room, bedroom, bathroom and little kitchen. There was even milk in the fridge and ground coffee for the cafeteire.
We had phoned the hotel directly to book a table for dinner. Admittedly the portions are not huge and the prices are fairly expensive, but our meal was delicious. We found the service polite and discreet, and not at all stuffy. We enjoyed the remains of our bottle of wine by the open fire in the hall.
The following morning we enjoyed breakfast (for which we were not charged extra) before taking a stroll around the fabulous grounds then enjoyed a coffee in our cottage while reading the paper, before reluctantly checking out.
Next time we go we will make use of the spa, which looked wonderful. We didn't realise it was included in our room rate. The hotel did offer to lend us swimwear, but we didn't really have time to take up their kind offer. We might also try out the new, less formal restuarant. The menu was very tempting.

• Liked — Beautiful private cottage
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Cegidog
London
Reviewed 6 October 2008

We just came back from Bodysgallen, and what a treat it was! Where to start? We were welcomed by the concierge at the door who carried our bags. We were checked in by a lovely girl in Reception, who informed us that we had been upgraded to a suite that had just been refurbished. What a lovely suite it was, and the view was just amazing! I mentioned while checking in that I wanted to book treatments in the Spa, when we got to our room, just a couple of minutes later, the phone was ringing, it was the lovely receptionist who just wanted to inform me of the times available in the Spa, she did mention that I was lucky, as they had a cancellation, otherwise, as I hadn't booked in advace I might have found no appointments available, I thought it was a nice touch that she checked for me! In the evening we went down for dinner, and again we found impeccable service and delicious food.

The only thing I hated about this hotel is the fact that after three lovely days I had to torn myself away and had to leave! However, I will be back! And very soon I hope...

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Travelingalbatros
NC
Reviewed 12 August 2008

This is a lovely property. We had a beautiful room overlooking the spectacular gardens and Conwy Castle in the distance. The problem was the food. My theory is that if the bread is no good the food will be no good. The bread was awful. I have never seen such miniscule portions. Starting with the amuse bouche. Tiny bits of tuna with lots and lots of minute pieces of red onion, which I do not eat, was basically what we had the two nights we ate there. Items mentiioned on the menu as part of the dish consisted of one thin slice cut with a razor blade. An adequate slice of fois gras came with two 1" by 2' CROUTONS. My lobster and asparagus starter consisted of less than 1 oz of lobster and one asparagus tip sliced into three pieces! The main courses were just a bit more copious. However, my best end of Welsh lamb was a disgrace. I had three small chops, all end pieces, of which most was inedible fat. The dessert was supposed to be summer pudding. In keeping with the theme of deconstructing dishes, this was three thimble sized mounds of dry white bread into which some mixed berries were added. And so it went on. Each meal was a disaster of similar stinginess. We left the table hungry each night. As the property is fairly secluded, there is nowhere else to eat. Something must be done. In their favor, the staff, mostly foreign and not speaking good English, was excellent.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — the food
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
6 Thank barometerfair
manchester
Reviewed 27 June 2008

I just had a two night stay at Bodysgallen with my family. The house and gardens are truly special and we ate some fantastic food. However, there are issues that I feel need to be addressed if Bodysgallen wishes to maintain the standard that it has (somehow!) managed to gain on this website. I feel it necessary to add some of my comments so that people are not misled by the abundance of positive comments here.

On the whole, staff were very courteous but there is an atmosphere created by the management that I can only describe as slightly stuffy. We lost count of the notices telling you not to do things. In addition I felt that there were times when i was being a little ripped off. I can hand on heart say this is the first hotel I have ever stayed in that did not have tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Should you wish to have a cup of tea or coffee bought to your room you were expected to pay £5.50!!! Is it really just me that finds this unacceptable in a hotel of this standard? Even Travelodge give you a range of teas and a biscuit! Wireless was £5 for 24 hours but failed to work well, if at all. Toiletries were not replaced on the second day. It's the little touches such as complimentary refreshments, free wireless, attention to detail that really make stays special.

During our two night stay we were sat in the dining table at the same table for our breakfasts and evening meals, as were other guests. I personally find this an odd arrangement - if you happen not to like the table designated to you; tough! On our first evening meal we were the first to arrive at seven and were faced with several waiting staff stood around the room staring in our direction; unnerving! The lack of ambient music or lighting in the room was very noticable, there seemed to be a lack of privacy somehow and we ended up talking in hushed tones akin to dining in a library. I cannot fault the food though, it was really very good.

I write this because I want the management to see it and step up the mark in some areas because at these prices and with that reputation I expected just a little more than I got. Bodysgallen really is a treat in many ways but don't expect to feel like you've been spoilt.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank tropnevad76
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandudno
The Imperial Hotel
#17 of 60 in Llandudno
Merrion Hotel
Merrion Hotel
#25 of 60 in Llandudno

Been to Bodysgallen Hall & Spa? Share your experiences!