“sylvia& steve+ friends”

Ranked #30 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“sylvia& steve+ friends”
Reviewed 22 November 2011

warm and friendly, good food, very clean rooms,nice quiet location,
excellent staff Anna the waitress could not do enough for us.
we will all be back next year for more of the same.
not to forget the entertainment in the evenings as well the crowded
room said at all. you cant get better value.

Room Tip: didnt hear of a bad one.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank stephen g
TheCountyHotel, Manager at Bay County Hotel, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Dear Stephen G
What can i say regarding your review many thanks, Look forward to seeing you next year.

Andy Travis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Me and my wife wanted some place to stay for a weekend in Lllandudno I checked a few places out. I came across a Shearings self drive weekend at a good price and booked it I was not disappointed when we arrived and went to our room.The room was basic but very clean, the facilities in the room were very good the television was a bit dated but we would prefer a radio that was supplied.The hotel food was very good and good selection that was at breakfast and evening meal a plus also to our waiter Lucas a topman.We went into the concert room but the entertainment was a bit naff, plus some of the bar staff could do with some training in manners. When asked for things with a please and thank you the same could apply back instead of a glare and holding out a hand for payment and not telling you how much the you have to pay.They were the only staff that were at fault the rest could not do enough for you.We hope to use this hotel in the future.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Exminer1948
Dear Exminer 19

Whilst I'm happy with your comments especially regarding Lucas (again), I'm disappointed that one member of our Bar staff let us down. We at the County are aware that you are only as strong as your weakest link and be assured i will investigate this. I have passed on your comments to my bar manager your comments are much appreciated. I'm off now to look for the missing radio.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2011

I stayed with my 2 friends at this hotel on the 14th Nov 2011 which we booked as a shearings weekend break but we decided to drive down. I cannot fault this hotel at all for the price of the weekend. Our waiter Lucas was fab nothing was too much trouble for him we asked for a little break inbetween courses which he was very considerate and gave us a little more time that we asked for. I was glad the entertainment stopped at 11.00 pm or i would have had NO sleep!
For the amount of people they cater for i think this hotel deserves credit where credit is due.
There was just one small niggle and that was that the restaurant's heating was on too high so we felt abit hot and bothered sometimes eating our meals. But other than that i will stay at this hotel again in the future x Regards Mrs K Stride - Cheshire

Room Tip: If you like to go to bed early ask for a room away from the Ballroom or you will not get any sleep u...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Karon S
TheCountyHotel, Manager at Bay County Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Dear Karon s
Great to read that you enjoyed your weekend with us. I agree lucas is great ( if only i could get him to have a hair cut !! ) I will certainly look at the heating in the dining room.

Wales
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Like I say, Nice clean room, Helpfull Staff, Good Food. What More Do You Want?

My Wife and I usually stay at the other Shearings Llandudno hotel The Marine which is just further down the promenade. But as Shearings had a special offer for Gardens Of North Wales at this particular hotel we thought that we would give it a try for four nights Monday 24th October 2011 to Friday 28th October 2011.

The food was superb, particularly as my wife has Coeliac needs so cannot have any food with Gluten like wheat Rye and Barley. The Menu was well laid out to show Gluten Free Food
and the Chef and his team must take lots of credit

A special mention must be made of our Dining Room Waiter Dusan who was Friendly, Efficient and nothing was too much trouble for him, even though he was SOOW BUSY!

Future Management material if ever I saw it!

Speaking of Managers....I have never seen a Manager like this Hotels Andy Travis work so hard. He was around the Restaurant, behind the bar and generally working around the Hotel, even looking after the lovely front Garden means that this chap obviously cares about his Hotel.

I was also pleased to see that The County has recently started to have bottles of Bottled Conditioned Welsh Bitter. However, because of the sediment at the bottom of the bottle one has to be careful how it is poured.

Sediment Free bitter would be better for me like SPITFIRE for instance. Lovely Hoppy Taste and no sediment to worry about!

We where not disappointed at all generally speaking but Shearing Hotels do have some drawbacks which may or may not bother everyone.

These are for me the fact that there is no Wi Fi which I found a bit of a pain. I had to got to the local Witherspoons pub to log into the Free Wi Fi they have.

Also, no Freeview/Freesat programming on the ordinary Analogue TV. So seven programs is your lot, at least in the standard rooms. I understand that there is Digital Freeview TVs in the Premier Rooms though.

Being Poor Pensioners! LOL we cannot afford that!!

I understand that all Shearings Hotels are being changed to digital TV though over time.

So then County Staff, thank you and now we have two Shearings Hotels to visit depending on who has what on offer!

Best Regards

Chris and Kenny Thain.

I

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Booze C
TheCountyHotel, Manager at Bay County Hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2011
Dear BoozerCru

It Was loverly too meet you and your wife your comments regarding the local ale were very helpful. We all work hard as a team at the County Hotel and to receive a review like this one makes it all worthwhile. Keep drinking the Spitfire.

Cheshire
Reviewed 4 November 2011

We went here two weeks ago for a Shearings weekend break.
Had a seaview room for which we paid £16 each, which was quite small ,bit disappointed with that, but it was adequate .
However,we noticed during our first night,the most horrible smell coming from the bathroom,we reported this on going for breakfast and on our return from our day`s outing was informed they had looked into it and that if the smell returned to tell them .
It smelt much better and they had left us an odour neutraliser spray.
But during the night the smell came back with a vengence..result..we were moved to a superior room,free of charge,of course...oh my,what a difference...huge room ...modern decor..and the bathroom was fantastic!!!!
As it was on the end of the building had two windows ,one sea facing and the other sea and side view.

What a shame we only spent one night in it!!!!

Only problem with this hotel is that it was quite a walk to the shops etc. especially if one has walking problems but other than that I would recommend this hotel. and shall certainly go there again...in a superior room ..,worth paying the extra.
The food was moderately good and our waiter was a very cheerful Slovakian.

Room Tip: Go for a superior room...there are both double and twin ones available.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank solada
Dear Solada

I do remember the smell you refer to it was a bit of a mystery. I am glad you enjoyed your free upgrade it was the least we could do. we are a little way from the main shops but the benifits include peace and quiet and free parking.

LANCASHIRE
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Stayed at the County for Cabaret Weekend which was enjoyable but disappointing due to being on for one hour only. All music and entertainment ends at 11pm including Fridays and Saturdays. The food was the worst I have ever had in a Shearings hotel, so bad we had to have a nice lunch out to prepare for the inability to eat the evening meal. The food put a big damper on the break and even when the waiter collected our hardly touched plates, we were never asked if there was a problem with the food. You wouldnt give it to your dog!! It made me feel physically sick just looking at it.. We booked superior rooms which we were glad about. Llandudno is one of our favourite places but would never stay at the County again!!

Room Tip: Definitely book a superior room
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ALISONAWDS
Dear Alsonhig

I'm Sorry for your dissapointment with the food during your stay at the County, although you say it was inedible you give no details as to why you feel that way. If you wish to cotact me with more information i would be more than happy to investigate further . I'm glad you enjoyed one of our superior rooms i agree they are well worth the extra cost. We do finish the entertainment in the ballroom at eleven we have to consider all of our guests needs however we have the cocktail bar open throughout the night for all to enjoy.

wigan
Reviewed 27 October 2011

First impressions reveal that this hotel is attractive; in a good location on the seafront and with neat, well kept gardens: this impression rapidly changes when trying to get into the hotel. The hotel entrance is permanently under a cloud of cigarette smoke from the assembled crowd of aged smokers. The next problem is the vertiginous flight of steps that lead to the entrance door; only a buffoon or perhaps a hip-replacement surgeon on commission could have designed the slippery stone tiles that the steps are made from.

Having successfully negotiated the smoke and steps, the holiday-maker is confronted by the reception staff – I have yet to find ruder or more disinterested staff in any hotel.
Having grudgingly provided my room key I made my way to my room and was immediately dismayed by the fact that the hand basin was located in the bedroom and not in its customary bathroom location. Still, the carpet was reasonably unstained and the furniture was fairly new.

The next challenge was finding a table at dinner; all the new arrivals were made to queue at the restaurant door before they could eat – the problem was that this queue extended right back to reception and it took 25 minutes before I sat down at my table; totally unacceptable in this computer age.

The food was the worst I have ever experienced: whilst there were many elderly guests, there was no need to overcook the vegetables to an extent that they could be ingested using a drinking straw. The 3 course dinner menu was a testament to the chef’s imagination; the meat to the processing factory; the soup to the dried packet; and the desert to the deep freezer. How on earth a chef could produce food as dull, tasteless and bland as this beggars belief.

To finish the evening after a disappointing dinner, the ballroom seemed to be an obvious choice to have a drink and unwind; how wrong this proved to be. To be fair, the ballroom was a smart club room with good décor and furnishings; the first problem occurred trying to buy drinks at the bar – there was no bar-staff – the bar is split between a public bar on one side and the club on the other – beer was 30p a pint cheaper in the public bar and the bar staff were always in the public bar. The entertainment itself was nonexistent - what was provide was a talentless host; a few boring games of bingo; a mind blowing quiz; and then endless music from a cd player.

It must be said in all fairness that Llandudno is a terrific place and even though the weather was appalling, my partner and I had great fun shopping and dining – the hotel couldn’t mess that up.

Room Tip: Pay a lot of money for an upgrade
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
12 Thank poshlady1
TheCountyHotel, Manager at Bay County Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2011
Posh Lady

To Describe Six Steps finished with Non slip tiles with a hand rail running up the middle as VERTIGINOUS is streching the truth.
Having read through this review several times i just don't know where to begin in answering all the points you raise. I have passed it on to all the relevant departments and we take on board your obvious disappointment.

Regards