“memories of Victorian elegance” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bay County Hotel

Bay County Hotel
Ranked #31 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“memories of Victorian elegance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Now retired, I admit to being a very long term customer of some reknown hotels in 4 continents (thanks to my former job, all expenced) and you know what... this hotel is perhaps strangely, in my top ten world hotels. Why ?..the answer is location....history...food quality and staff. all provided at a price which is a small fraction of the others mentioned.
Obviously, you can telI...I like it a lot,I just had a five day break for the third year running. I accept that some people may find a fault and weigh that fault disproportionately and allow it to spoil their entire stay...so be it...but in my opinion they would be missing the point, this is a hotel with history and has accommodated thousands of visitors long before the internet, planes, cars even. The Llandudno County Hotel is not the London Ritz, or the Bombay Taj, or the Singapore Raffles...all of which I have used, but for me the County is where I would rather be.
Many thanks to Mr Jones the chef , who magically produces high quality meals from presumably a fairly tight budget night after night....I have discovered that even among certain locals of Llandudno the County Hotel is reknown for its geneorous and high quality food.
Thanks also to the staff who have been consistently friendly and good natured...many are, as expected these days...eastern European...but I find they are nowadays a delight to have around...and very attentive.
Try to afford a sea view room...what a beautiful sight is Llandudno bay even in the dead of night.
This a Shearings hotel, available to us at really low cost...if you are used to four star places in dismal surroundings, try to put a value on the location of Llandudno promenade and have a great stay...

Room Tip: Try to afford a sea view room
3 Thank simon t
TheCountyHotel, Manager at Bay County Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Dear Simon t.
What a great review !! You have managed to highlight all we stand for at the County Hotel.
I couldn't have put it better myself.

Andy Travis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

recently stayed here on caledonian trip.lovely hotel.all staff very pleasant,hard working ,polite and efficient,especially anna in the dining room,(surely management in the making there).being a chef my only complaint was the use of packet soup when fresh is as cheap to make,but the rest of hotel clearly made up for that minor misdemeanour.drinks are a little pricey but in the bar its about 50p a drink cheaper and remember,the cost of the decent cabaret has to come from somewhere,so if you want nice hotel,very friendly staff and above average food and service for that amazing price,look no further.

Room Tip: get sea view,low floor for shower generally.high floor for baths
3 Thank bahnjoe
Dear Bahn Joe,

Thank you for your review its great to read a balanced view of what we do at the County. I do understand your comments about the soup and will pass them on to the Chef. But all in all a very positive review.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Just returned from weekend break at the county hotel,pretty disapointed the hotel is like a time warp victoriana,bedrooms are small and most could do with a refit,despite the cold weather the heating was turned off each night at 6 pm until 7 am,food was a little bland but edible,entertaiment was good Friday and Saturday evening but poor on Sunday eve.Staff are very good and tried very hard to please.Needless to say for the price i would think twice before booking this venue again

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank petek4
Dear Petek 4
Sorry to read of your dissapointment, I would just like to clarify two points that you have raised. The heating is on constant during very cold weather and then put on a timer 6am - 11am then 4pm - 11pm during milder spells.
The price for a caberet Weekend in February for three nights bed, breakfast, evening meal and first class entertainment is £99.00, I think that is exceptional value for money.
I appreciate all reviews and take on board your comments and once again apologise for your dissapointment.

Widnes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

My wife, myself and five other family members recently had a great five days Shearings, All Inclusive break at the County, 30th January 2012 until 3rd February 2012. Everything was excellent (apart from the cold weather) and each and every member of the staff could'nt have been more friendly and helpful. I read some reviews before we travelled about the food not being too good at the hotel. I can only say, with the backing of all our party, that the food we were served was of a good quality and our waitress could not do enough for us. One of our party could only eat Gluten free food and the Chef himself came out and served her a Gluten free soup that he had made specially for her one evening. Our rooms were basic but clean and tidy and cleaned every day by the hard working staff. I can only thank the manager and all his staff for giving us a great five days and will certainly be returning to the County. A special mention for our driver Steve who had a huge amount of knowledge about the surrounding area and the Snowdonia National Park in general.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mickeo_12
Dear Mickeo 12.
Thank you for your positive review ,sorry about the weather!!. John our chef is only too happy to cater for guests with Special dietary requirements. I will pass on your comments to Steve the driver.

Kind Regard

STOCKPORT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

I booked this pretty last minute through National Holidays for my husband and myself and my 96 year old mother in law and friend .Would I have chosen this hotel if I had been looking for just my husband and I ? In honesty probably not . Are we glad we did ? Most definately.
We went to this hotel as part of a package with National Holidays . Had a superb driver the best I think we have had with National ( David Leader ) The package included three nights dinner bed and breakfast in an ensuite room , a trip to Chester and a full day touring Snowdonia with an extra local coach driver also accompanying David who gave us a true insight into the real Wales and from the heart .The package also included entertainment, bags delivered to your room and down again and dancing every night if you so wished. All this for just £115 each including a seaview. ( £99 without view )
Firstly the hotel and food is not 5 star as some people seem to expect . What you get is a clean and comfortable room. No gimics and extras , just a pleasant room, tea and coffee making facilities, bathroom etc with everything that most people would require .If what you want is not there then just ask at reception and its sorted straight away. You can upgrade to a superior room I understand if they are available.
We were fortunate in the dining room to be given a lovely seaview table in the window but in truth you could probably see the sea from most tables . The dining room is bright , simply furnished and comfortable and again very clean . The chef and team there does an amazing job turning out so many well cooked meals whilst rising to the challenge of what I would think to be a pretty tight budget and for what everyone paid the quality of the food was excellent , ( bear in mind you are getting all this for just £38 per night )The waiting staff we could not fault in any way . They were fast , efficient , helpful and friendly . Our main waitress was Anna who carried out her job so efficiently always with a smile .
We were suprised by the volume of people staying at the County Hotel , its only when you see the dining room you realise how many people are staying there. The secret is that the hotel has a very friendly intimate feel about it . Yes its a fair sized hotel but it has a very personal touch with lots of little rooms in the public areas that you can escape to if you want and as I say it was all beautifully clean and all staff so helpful .
For a little escape on a budget , with no driving , just pure chill out time we can only recommend this hotel and package .

Room Tip: The lift holds only two people at a time . If you therefore have trouble climbing stairs I would sug...
3 Thank HYDE55
TheCountyHotel, Manager at Bay County Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Dear Hyde 55
So glad you enjoyed your weekend with us. Its nice to see you appreciate what good value for money we offer. Thanks again for a great review.

Stockport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

This was the third time we(Six of Us) had been on a winter break with Shearings, so we wondered what would be the standard of the County Hotel. We arrived at the Hotel early so we couldn't book in, so we left our hand luggage at the hotel and had wander around Llandudno after being dropped off by the coach driver near the Town Centre.
When we came back we booked in and went to our rooms which were clean and comfortable.
We read that you would be allocated a table the first time you went to the Dining Room and then that would be your table for the rest of your stay. We went to the dining room a little later than the start time so we had no real problem with waiting.
The Food was Good, Hot, Good Choice,and was served very quickly after each course.
The Entertainment was Very Good on the Saturday Nght it being an ABBA Tribute Band.
We had the Quiz which is part and parcel of the Bay Hotels.
The only moan was that the drinks were a little on the dear side. Sometimes the Hotels have their own brands which are a bit cheaper.
The Staff were courteous, friendly, and helpful. The service in the Dining Room was really fast.
I must mention or Driver,Steve. He really helped us enjoy our holiday. He was Informative, kept us amused, gave us things to do and things to listen to. He made the humdrum parts of the journey more enjoyable.
All in all we would say this is the best Shearings Holiday and Hotel we have had and
WE ALL HAD A GOOD TIME.

Room Tip: If You are not happy with your room do something about it right away. Don't put up with it as i...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank BARRY S
Dear Barry S
Our Tribute weekends are really popular and good value for money so pleased you enjoyed ABBA.
Good idea to wait a little and let Amand Seat those who want to go in for dinner early. Sorry you found our drinks expensive we believe we are very competitive with prices . you obviously had a great time with us and i appreciate your review.

Ribble Valley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

Nice hotel, good breakfasts, fab porridge. Dinner varied, not keen on tinned friut, nice cheese@biscuits. Staff superb, hard working, and so friendly.Room 215, needs complete makeover,it was spacious, lovely sea views from side window, but very tired,tea@coffee making facilities, lousy hairdryer, unless your almost bald. take your own. Bathroom, not good, black mould around bottom of dodgy shower door, bath panel hanging off, we felt in needed a very good clean. Good cabaret Friday@Saturday night,Sunday bingo.Hotel itself is in a lovely position, gorgeous views but a good walk from the town, so if your mobility is not good, you may want something nearer, Good value for money, for what we paid, we got what we expected. But not a "manky" bathroom

Room Tip: Some rooms dont have a shower, just a bath, so check beofore you book
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank yvonneRibbleValley
Dear Yvonne Ribble Valley.
Thank you for your review which is generally very good however it did make me have a good look at 215 which i agree is getting a little dated. The shower is now spotless , thanks for bringing this to our attention our housekeeper was not to happy to read this and has now put it right. We appreciate all comments that help us to improve our standards I'm sure you will agree that the County is in general Very Clean.