“short break”
Review of Bay County Hotel

Bay County Hotel
Ranked #30 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Very clean and comfortable rooms. Staff very helpful. Food was quite good would have liked main meals to have been a little hotter. Choice of food was excellent especially the breakfast .
The evening entertainment was a little disappointing for a weekend break. only the Saturday Evening was enjoyable. We and a lot of other couples were surprised to have no dancing at all . when there was a lovley dance floor..it was really missed.

Room Tip: choose a sea view
2  Thank kenneth c
TheCountyHotel, Manager at Bay County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Dear Kenneth C.
Thank you for your positive review lots of good feedback in there for us to work with. I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

Booked with Shearings for an eight day coach holiday. Accomodation was very good, sea view room spacious, including bath and shower and all the comforts of home. Other guests on our coach visited the other Bay hotel along the prom and aggreed our was the best. Hotel staff very helpful, polite and respectful. Food was very good with lots of choice. The overall trip was enjoyable and very worthwhile.

Room Tip: Request a sea view?
1  Thank Bob N
TheCountyHotel, Manager at Bay County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Dear BOBN.
What a pleasure it is to read your review thank you so much from all at the County.

Reviewed 1 September 2012

When I tried to get out of bath I bumped my head on the underneath of the wash basin which was overlapping the bath. Reported this to both deputy manager and head receptionist and asked to see the manager around six times but he "wasn't there" or "not available". I asked if he would come to see the bathroom for himself for his comments but after asking to see him for about the sixth time the head receptionist said that there was nothing he could do about it as the only solution was to change the wash basin and they were not likely to do that. The manager did not try to contact me over the five day holiday.

As the bath is avocado green it was probably installed many years ago when health and safety was not an issue and know that it wouldn't be allowed to be installed in this way now.

In my opinion there could be a nasty accident if anyone tried to get out of the bath quickly when they could give themselves a nasty bump and children should be supervised.

Room Tip: Watch out for wash basin overlapping bath in room 209.
1  Thank B C
TheCountyHotel, Manager at Bay County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Dear Bc.
My apologies for not coming to see you regarding the wash basin, however I must disagree with your comments it certainly is not dangerous there are three grab rails for your safety.
I was at reception when you came to complain about people talking in the bedroom above but didn't get opportunity to speak to you.

Reviewed 1 September 2012

The first room my mother and I were given was in the basement down steep stairs,there was a strong smell of dampness,it was very dark and the view from the window run inline with the pavement,all you could see was peoples legs and feet.We were given another room on the 3rd floor which was lovely beautiful view of the sea and promenade,unfortunately this was for one night,as the room was booked. On return from our trip the next day we had to move to the 3rd room,by this time we were looking at the options of either coming home or booking another hotel,this room was adequate,but the view was of the back street car park and the hotels expelair which cluncked non stop.The food was terrible,never quite warm enough,over cooked,on the Sunday I had to ask the hotel manager to have a word in the kitchen as the beef was tough,roast potatoes burnt to a cinder,yorkshire pudding filled with gravy which made it soggy, all of it was cold.The waiting staff were excellent with the service,room staff again excellent,the cheff would do well to buy fresh vegetables,not frozen,also to watch the timings of his cooking.Llandudno is a beautiful place to visit,the walk into town was 15/20 minutes,all the main high street shops, restaurants serving lovely meals.Would return to Llandudno,but not Bay hotel/shearings holidays.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank missylorenzo

Dear Misslorenzo.
Reading your review it looks as though we did all we possibly could to accomodate your needs and provide you with the room you wanted. We could not allocate a sea view room as other guests would have paid a supplement for them. I have spoken to Chef regarding your comments about Sunday dinner he cannot recall any other complaints I'm sorry for your dissapointment.

Reviewed 31 August 2012

We booked this holiday as a family holiday, my husband and I usually prefer self catering or BB as we like the freedom of it. After reading several reviews before we went I was quiet worried about what to expect, but the majority of the stay was really good.
Our Bedroom was at the back of the hotel and we had lovely views over the mountains, it was adequate and clean although we didnt like the wash basin in the bedroom instead of the bathroom, the televisions are old but understanably it would be very expensive to replace all the rooms with flat screen ones and we only put it for the news before breafast and dinner. The houskeeping was very good.
Bar areas were clean and comfortable with lovely views from the Bay Windows, Bar prices very expensive!!
The dining room was pleasent with lovely views.
Food was very good with a good choice at breakfast and dinner, Peter our waiter who looked after us all week provided excellent service.
Entertainment, where do I start!!?? The resident "compare" as they call him was a scruffy man who called bingo, did a quiz and played the same music every night! I call this lazy. The stand in compare on tuesday was much better than the resident one. Apart fom a comiedian/impersonator on saturday who was ok but nothing special and a comiedian on thursday (he was really good) that was it!!! I think Shearings need improve on the entertainment as this is a big part of some peoples holiday, especially for a Bank Holiday weekend.
The Ballroom is a good comfortable room.
Overall we had a lovely holiday, the accommodation and food were good value for money.
The hotel is situated about a 15 minute walk from town, it is a pleasent walk down the promenade my husband and I walked there and back several times, my mum and dad had taxis which costs around £2.50 - £3.00 each way to the pier.
Llandudno is a lovely base to explore North Wales

Room Tip: The rooms in the basement dont look very appealing.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Susan K

Dear Susan K
You give a good balanced review of the County Hotel and Llandudno. I am happy to read how much you enjoyed your holiday and hope you will return. I'm disapointed to read your comments regarding our entertainment host be sure i will pass them on to him.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

Have just completed a 3 night self drive break over the August Bank Holiday. We booked a car parking space and were glad that we did because there was no spaces in the immediate vicinity. So would definitely recommend this at peak times

Then things went downhill. We had booked a twin room, and upon getting our key, were allocated a double room. It being the Bank Holiday, the hotel was full and the receptionist suggested taking the double bed out and replacing it with twins - novel idea but looking at the size of the room even that would not have worked. Eventually was given the twin room we requested because I think she swapped our request with someone elses hoping that they wouldn't complain.

The room happened to be in the basement of the hotel overlooking the car park. The stairs to the basement were down, what I considered to be, a dangerous staircase which had a door at the top which opened out into a main throughway in the hotel. There was however a very small lift. The room was clean and adequate but why in this day and age do hotels still only have 12inch portable TV's.

Can't fault the food for both dinner and breakfast as we found there to be plenty of choice (although we would prefer a buffet breakfast) and it was piping hot. Our waiter was very good and remembered from the first time who had tea or coffee etc.

The County Hotel is very strange in that, in the part we were, there seemed to be little corridors going off in all directions. Some people who we spoke to never found the ballroom as it wasn't particularly well signposted and, again, was down on the lower level - not good for people with mobility issues.

Entainment - diabolical. First night was man doing the bingo, then he did the quiz then he sang a few (extremely old) songs. Second night - same man doing bingo, quiz again and then a impressionist/comedian who himself admitted that his act consisted of doing 'people' who had been dead for decades. Didn't stay. Third night - bingo by the same man and another quiz and nothing else - and this was a Bank Holiday weekend. Come on, I know it was a more older clientele but even they want entertaining

The hotel is a good 15/20 mins walk outside of Llandudno but if you walk one street back you can get a bus outside the Co-op supermarket and that will take you into town.

Llandudno is lovely. We went up the Orme on the cable car (they don't do a combined tram/cable car ticket) and for what we paid I'd go here again

5  Thank Kim A

Dear KimA
Reading your review which has a lot of positive as well as negative comments I feel I must point out that your room over looked the car park which is at ground level not basement.
I'm sorry that you found the Bank holiday weekend boring in the rain. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

Enjoyed a 3 night self drive weekend break. Hotel itself was good although the bedrooms were a bit dated. Only downside was that the room lacked the presence of a shower which is much needed to start the day off. Surprised to find no toiletries such as shampoo and bath foam supplied although could be got from reception on request. Breakfasts were ample and evening meals varied. Restaurant staff were always ready to oblige for any specific food requests; worked extremely hard and with a smile. Overall it was excellent value for money. Would go for a Bay hotel again

2  Thank Elissy

Dear Elissy
Thank you for your review my apologies regarding the shower on occasion we can't get enough water pressure to some of the rooms on third floor, however I can see that it didn't spoil your holiday. Thank you for mentioning what good value for money we are.
Kind regards