“Midweek break week commencing 10.02.2014”
Review of Bay County Hotel

Bay County Hotel
Ranked #30 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I am sorry to say I was really disappointed with the accommodation. There was only a bath and no hand shower unit to wash my hair. I did speak to the receptionist on arrival who wasnt really interested as there was a lot going on at the time. I explained I had great difficulty getting in and out of a bath. She explained that none of the single rooms had a shower although I knew this to be untrue as the lady next to me had one, although it was only a hand held one, this would have at least enabled me to wash my hair. I was a little put out as my neighbour also paid £105.00 less than me and had the same sea view plus the use of the hand shower.

I spoke to several people over my stay and I had paid more than couples in a double room with a shower. I paid £227.00 for a single room.

If I wanted to be picky I could mention several other things such as a 30 minute queue to go into dinner on the first evening, waiting from the start of my meal until desert for a drint etc but the main thing was the fact I could not wash for 4 days. The bar was hardly manned either, whoever was on reception had to split themselves between the bar and the reception. The first evening there was one girl on trying to seve a bar full of people, I hasten to add that's why I waited until my desset at 7.15 for a drink although I had asked the waiter 3 times if I could order a drink.
I spoke to two people who complained about their rooms and they got moved straight away, thay also paid £100 less than me.

I did speak to Val who said there was only a family room but if a family came in I would have to move, she advised she would speak yo the Duty Manager, I heard no more, she did however give me a jug to wash my hair.

On the plus side our waiter John was lovely and very helpful, on the down side and I cannot blame the hotel for this but when I got home my brand new suitcase was damaged.

I did have a nice time but would not go back to this hotel for the price I paid without shower facilities , it was a nightmare trying to wash my hair, no mixer taps or anything. The staff were friendly and helpfully but so obviously overworked. I suggest that they look at getting more staff.
I am sorry for the negative feedback but I was really dissapointed in my room.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
9  Thank Mary S
TheCountyHotel, Manager at Bay County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Marys
My apologies for the lack of a shower in your room but you were given the correct information we do have a problem with water pressure on third floor where all the single sea view rooms are. My advice to you would be not to worry about what price other people have paid that can spoil your holiday.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed here for just 2 night short break. Hotel very clean and tidy, staff friendly and very hard working. Food very good with very little waiting between courses. Entertainment was good for what you pay. Bingo,Quiz and singers /comedians. Would recommend sea view bedroom, outlook for some of the back rooms not very nice. Small lift only takes 2 people at a time.

Room Tip: Try for Sea view room, but these cost extra.
1  Thank tess096
TheCountyHotel, Owner at Bay County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Tess096
I do agree it's always nice to treat yourself to a seaview when on holiday. It's lovely to read how much you enjoyed your short break with us.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

My wife and myself spent 3 nights at the county over the weekend of 14/15/16 th of February.We arrived on a rainy and cold Friday afternoon to a warm and pleasant hotel.
As is "Shearings" policy we booked in at 15-00.We had prior booked a sea room and parking space.
The room was well decorated and lovely and warm.Bathroom was quite big to.
The dining room layout and decor was good.The waiter service was very efficient,and ours was very polite and friendly.Meals were of a good quality and choice,and quantity
The entertainment was excellent in the downstairs ballroom.
Perhaps we had picked the right weekend being valentines,as the majority of the other guests were very friendly,and this made the weekend all the better.
We have never stayed at the county before having previously stayed at the sister hotel the "marine".
We would almost certainly return to the county again.
Thanks to all the staff for making it such an enjoyable weekend.

Room Tip: The rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors are quieter at night.
1  Thank john h

Dear Johnh
It looks like we have made another convert to the county. Thank you for your comments we look forwards to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We have just returned from a self drive, 4 night holiday at this hotel, which we enjoyed very much. There are comfortable lounges to relax in plus a very nice bar area. The dining room is very nice with sea views, and the food was excellent with plenty of choices. The price of the drinks are quite steep so the 4 free vouchers each at the gala dinner night were very welcome. Our bedroom was on the side with a sea view, it was nicely furnished with plenty of drawers and hanging space, and the twin beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was tiny but adequate with a bath with shower over it. The ballroom is down some stairs so it would be difficult for disabled people to get down there. There is parking at the rear of the hotel for a charge, but there is parking on the promenade. Our bedroom was lovely and warm but some people complained there bedrooms were cold. We would certainly stay at a Shearings hotel in future.

Room Tip: 114 twin room, on the side with sea view.
1  Thank moharri
TheCountyHotel, Manager at Bay County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear Moharri
Great Review with lots of helpful infomation I'm sure lots of trip advisor readers will find it very helpful. We do always have staff available to assist any guests down to the ballroom.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Wife and I had 4 night midweek break at end of Jan 2014, Could not fault the service, food and entertainment. For what you pay, it's amazing. Comedian, Joey Howerd was outstanding. Best comic we have seen in years.

Room Tip: Room 329 has great sea view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Glynn W

Dear GlynnW
Thank you for your brilliant review I will pass on your comments to Joey who will be delighted.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Had great break through national hols.the hotel provided excellent value for money. Could not find fault including entertainment which was first class. Would highly recommend and would definitely use bay hotels again

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank anthony b

Dear AnthonyB
Short and sweet is how I would describe your review which is just how I like them. Recommendations from our guests are the best compliment we can get so many thanks.
General manager

Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

I spent a very pleasant weekend at this hotel as part of a group with Shearings. I was very pleased with my room. It was on a high floor and I had a lovely side sea view. The room was comfortable and I felt cosy. The quality and choice of meals was very good and the waiter serving my table friendly and efficient. I was seated with a couple and another solo traveller. The other solo lady had tagged onto the couple so it seemed a good idea for us all to sit together. It was great to have company at mealtimes and also for the evening entertainment. I was a bit worried because I was on a party weekend and I'm not a party person. I thought it would be a bit noisy etc in the entertainment venue. How wrong I was. It was very sedate. I loved the bingo each evening.( This is the only time I ever play bingo - on holiday in hotels- so it's a bit of a treat.) the entertainers were worth watching too.
I did a lot of walking whilst in Llandudno and chose this hotel because it was further to walk into the town. Very handy for the big shops like Asda and the retail park if you get stuck for something to do.
Thank you to the management and staff at the County. I look forward to another trip to a Bay hotel later in the year.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank sunsparkle69

Dear Sunsparkle69
Many of our guests who travel alone especially for the first time are a little anxious about meal times and it's great to hear from you about how much you enjoyed the company of others as do most of our guests. Its lovely to read how much you enjoyed your stay and many thanks for your glowing report .