“Party Weekend” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Party Weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

21/2/2014- Party weekend at the County Hotel in Llandudno, with the bad storm at the beginning of February, we wondered if we might get more than we bargained for asking for a sea view, but we need not have worried, ended up with a spring like weekend to remember with the top of Mount Snowdon covered in snow. The room we stayed in was on the top floor, which we requested, with lovely sea views. It was clean, warm and comfortable with tea and coffee making facilities. The restaurant overlooked the coast and beach, food selection and service was good, and entertainment for the weekend included two entertainers on Saturday night and Bingo, quiz and music on other nights. On Saturday asked to go on the trip to Snowdonia National Park, which included stops at Betws-y-Coed, and Porthmadog,driver was very knowledgable and even stopped for us to take a photo of Mount Snowdon,

Room Tip: Room 309 Top floor with sea view, lift just down corridor straight to reception and restaurant
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Karen C
TheCountyHotel, Manager at Bay County Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear Karenc

I can,t think of anything better than driving around Snowdon on a spring day with the sun shining and the snow on the peaks. Thank you for your fantastic review.

Andy Travis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Rotherham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed at the County Hotel in February 2014. Our room and bathroom were clean as were the front of house, and the towels were changed as required and the room tidied each day. Food was of adequate quality but if you don't like Garlic then give this hotel a miss. It was Hobsons choice with the memu at dinner as only one dish did not have garlic in it each night and the vegetarial alternative also had Garlick in it so that was not an option. But if you like Garlick then this could be the place for you. What Shearings fail to understand is that the age group they are catering for, ie mainly retired people in their 60s to 80s, have largely grown up without Garlick and so it adversley affects many of them.
The biggest asset in this hotel is the staff, paticularly the waiters and waitresses,(Thank you Martin). They are dressed very smartly and cleanly and would put to shame most of the staff in the large 4 and 5 star hotels for looks and efficient service.
The evening entertainment was good on the two nights that we watched them out of the four nights we were there.
The coach drivers, Mike and Billy, were first class and the coaches are first class too. Mike was our regular driver and Billy did the stand in for him when Mike had his legal day off. Their knowledge of the area was well researched and could not have been delivered better. Both of these driver were very safe and we felt very safe and secure behind them. If you stay at this hotel I hope that you get either Mike or Billy.
Ideas for future trips out Shearings, could be a visit to Llangollen with time to walk the canal aqueduct,(weather permitting), or an opportunity to have a ride on the narrow gauge railways in the area.
Shearing are at long last spending some money on doing much needed low level improvements to some of the rooms, and its not before time. Some of the Shearings hotels we have stayed in in the past, but not this one, had the wallpaper peeling off the walls and the poor state of the Shearings hotels in the past stopped us using them for some years. However the state of the County when we were there was good.
Do try to afford a sea view. Its great to wake up to see the beautyful LLandudno Bay in the Morning, however it will be on the front and it can be occasionally noisy with the traffic in the morning, but you can't have it all ways.
Overall a good stay at a good price.
From Michael and Joan

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank michael a
TheCountyHotel, Manager at Bay County Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Miceala
Many thanks for your review filled with lots of detail and useful information. In the future if you don't see anything on the menu that you like if you ask we will be only to happy to offer an alternative.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

We stayed here Valentine's weekend, enjoyed it immensely,staff friendly and helpful , room nice , food great . Hope to return again in future, all said we were extremely pleased and happy with our stay .

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank razzaboing
TheCountyHotel, Owner at Bay County Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Razzaboing
Your review is short and to the point all in all the perfect review about your perfect holiday many thanks.
Stroud, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed at this hotel in mid January and had a lovely break in a very nice establishment. We had booked into the Marine last year, but that was not a patch on this one - if booking with Shearings go for the County everytime!
We had a lovely table for two, overlooking the Promenade, waitresses were extremely efficient and charming and the food was good too.
We had paid a little extra for a sea view and well worth it, fantastic views 'along the front' and out to sea. Unlike the Marine, the room was well decorated and fresh looking and very comfortable.
All the staff were very friendly and helpful.
Intend to return here again in the future and would thoroughly recommend this hotel, for the money you pay - incredible value for money! Well done Shearings!

Room Tip: Pay the little supplement and get a sea view, it will pay dividends!!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank David R
Dear Davidr
Thank you for your recommendation I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and that you acknowledge what great value for money we are.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a 5day Shearings holiday at Bay County Hotel , had lovely week there with my 12year-old Grand-daughter . Our room was very comfortable and clean , with a lovely sea view . All the staff were friendly and always willing to help with any request . The meals were excellent and we felt well taken care of throughout our stay. Will make a return sometime soon :)

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Kathleen W
TheCountyHotel, Manager at Bay County Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear KathleenW
After such a fantastic review we would love to see you back with us soon.
Southport
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

On arrival we were shown to our rooms, 56,57. Can only say that they were like cupboards, small was not in it. The bathroom I think was bigger than the bedroom. The view was of the back street where the cars parked, but to add insult to injury my window over looked into a SKIP. I unpacked but felt uneasy, I thought I would have an afternoon sleep as I was tired from my journey. No such luck as the hotel was having some work done and the noise was awful, hammering, drilling, and the smell of paint, not to mention that the room was on the corridor that lead to the ballroom, so with all the people walking back and forth, to either the ladies that was also on this corridor, or to the ballroom or to the dinning room, it was more like the M1 motorway with creaking floorboards too. I spoke to my friend who was in the next room and we both felt that there was no way we could get any peace and quiet staying in these rooms. We went to reception and explained how we felt. The receptionist was very nice and listened to my/our complaints and looked on her computer and offered us two top floor rooms with sea views without any extra cost, Problem solved, Thank you. As for the work and smell of paint this became worse as the week went on with the smell now wafting into the TV lounge. My friend who suffers with asthma therefore could not sit in this area as the fumes could set off an attack.
The food was only fair, but the service by the waiter was excellent, it was typical mass produced food and as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
The hotel was clean as were our rooms, and I do appreciate that hotels need to up date and decorate their rooms, but surely not when it affects the paying customer on whom it depends on to survive and we were not advised of this expected work to be done when booking.
The workmen were working and hammering from 7 to 6 most days. Thank goodness we moved to the top of the hotel and out of sound of this work.
All the staff seemed quite oblivious to the work and just said that it was going on all week.
Its a shame when you go away and are looking forward to a rest yet have to endure what my friend and i had to. We had driven to the hotel by car so we were able to get out and about in the day away from the hotel. Llandudno itself is very nice and were lucky in that the weather was pretty kind to us, I dread to think of what we would do if we had had to stay in the hotel during the day with all the noise, smell of paint etc etc that was going on, so all in all we are disappointed at our break here, I have marked Terrible for our room on arrival because that is the truth, but the upstairs sea view room was much better. 306/307

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise, the ones in the ballroom corridor are awful
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank June61Southport
Dear June61Southport
My apologies for your Inconvenience however as you state as soon as you mentioned it to us we upgraded you to seaview rooms three floors away from any work free of charge. The times you mention about the work going on are not quite accurate and it is necessary to keep upgrading the hotel.
Folkestone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

I am sorry to say I was really disappointed with the accommodation. There was only a bath and no hand shower unit to wash my hair. I did speak to the receptionist on arrival who wasnt really interested as there was a lot going on at the time. I explained I had great difficulty getting in and out of a bath. She explained that none of the single rooms had a shower although I knew this to be untrue as the lady next to me had one, although it was only a hand held one, this would have at least enabled me to wash my hair. I was a little put out as my neighbour also paid £105.00 less than me and had the same sea view plus the use of the hand shower.

I spoke to several people over my stay and I had paid more than couples in a double room with a shower. I paid £227.00 for a single room.

If I wanted to be picky I could mention several other things such as a 30 minute queue to go into dinner on the first evening, waiting from the start of my meal until desert for a drint etc but the main thing was the fact I could not wash for 4 days. The bar was hardly manned either, whoever was on reception had to split themselves between the bar and the reception. The first evening there was one girl on trying to seve a bar full of people, I hasten to add that's why I waited until my desset at 7.15 for a drink although I had asked the waiter 3 times if I could order a drink.
I spoke to two people who complained about their rooms and they got moved straight away, thay also paid £100 less than me.

I did speak to Val who said there was only a family room but if a family came in I would have to move, she advised she would speak yo the Duty Manager, I heard no more, she did however give me a jug to wash my hair.

On the plus side our waiter John was lovely and very helpful, on the down side and I cannot blame the hotel for this but when I got home my brand new suitcase was damaged.

I did have a nice time but would not go back to this hotel for the price I paid without shower facilities , it was a nightmare trying to wash my hair, no mixer taps or anything. The staff were friendly and helpfully but so obviously overworked. I suggest that they look at getting more staff.
I am sorry for the negative feedback but I was really dissapointed in my room.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Mary S
TheCountyHotel, Manager at Bay County Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Marys
My apologies for the lack of a shower in your room but you were given the correct information we do have a problem with water pressure on third floor where all the single sea view rooms are. My advice to you would be not to worry about what price other people have paid that can spoil your holiday.