“Superb value in beautiful resort” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bay County Hotel

Bay County Hotel
Ranked #29 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
egham
“Superb value in beautiful resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

The County Hotel is facing the very well kept seafront situated between Great Orme and Little Orme so wonderful views in either direction. We found the staff most pleasant, food good and plentiful and the restaurant quite splendid, we upgraded to a sea view room which was good sized and the bathroom was superb having a grohe shower with plenty of hot water. The entertainment was quite good, but Dave Davis really gave us a good evening. When you book any of these large seaside hotels always remember they were mostly built over 80 years ago and the cost of modernising them and maintaining them must be enormous so don't expect international 5 star standards. Shearings provide great value and the coach excursions were great, we are already booked on the next Shearings trip.

Room Tip: Upgrade to sea view, and if you get room 102 which we got it is immediately above reception and yes...
2 Thank john_emms1
TheCountyHotel, Manager at Bay County Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear John-emms1
What a relief to get a positive report from someone with realistic expectations I'm so pleased you enjoyed room 102 and appreciate what great value for money we offer. It's lovely to read that you have booked with shearing's again I'm sure you will love it.
Andy Travis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We decided to try Bay Hotels and take my brother and his wife. We had the worse accommodation I have ever had. Really upset me to think my brother paid good money for this weekend break. The shower room was no more than a broom cupboard, hand basin was just a toilet basin to wash your hands in, also cracked with filthy plughole. Shower screen door loose with the smallest shower tray possible. Nowhere to put any toiletries. After just managing to get in the shower you have dry yourself on the landing. The heat in the shower room was to much to bare. Toilet was so small you had to squeeze alongside the toilet to shut the door. The bedroom was so hot you could not sleep and the curtains so thick they shut out the air and because the room was overlooked you could not have them open. All the manager could say was it was a Victorian Building, not the answer I was expecting. He did say they could put nets at the window but that was old fashion. I did notice other rooms with nets. He did not do it anyway. The dining room was so hot in the corner where our table was you nearly dropped with heat stroke. Never again will I use Shearings even though I have stayed in the Coast and Country Hotels.

Room Tip: Do not stay there unless upgrading rooms are better. But why should you pay extra to have a comforta...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Gerald D
TheCountyHotel, Manager at Bay County Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear GeraldD
My apologise for your disappointment with the size of your shower room. I have looked again at the layout and fitted a folding door to improve the space in the room. The bedroom was hot due to the extremely hot weather we are enjoying and when I offered to fit a net curtain you didn't answer me. I thank you for your review but think it is a little harsh.
Walsall
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

My wife and I stayed Monday to Friday at the Bay County.We have stayed at the Marine on previous stays in Llandudno so we thought we would try the the Bay county. We were not disappointed.We were allocated a room at lower ground level which was spacious and recently refurbished.excellent until 6.00am the next morning when it sounded like a herd of elephants parading around as the staff prepared the dining room above for breakfast. We went to reception with the problem and Andy Travis the manager gave us the choice of another room on level 3.
It was not so large but clean and tidy like the rest of the hotel.The food was very good,the entertainment spoilt as it was held in the dining room while the ballroom is being refurbished.
Disadvantages if you are not a good walker it is at least 20 minutes walk to the shopping mall in the town centre also wheelchair access is at the rear as the main entrance has 7 steps to climb but the staff will give help if required and there is a bell on the wall outside to call them when required. The hotel only has one lift carrying two passengers maximum. With 3 coach parties plus other guests we thought this maybe a problem, perhaps we were lucky as we never waited more than a minute.
Advantages if you drive by car it is free street parking day and night.at this end of the promenade. The restaurant was very clean and bright the staff excellent especially Dusan.
We would definitely stay here again if visiting Llandudno.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms below the dining room.
5 Thank ianitaWalsall
TheCountyHotel, Manager at Bay County Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear IanitaWalsall
My apologises for your early alarm call on your first morning I have removed the noisy Elephants from the hotel. I am delighted to read that it didn't spoil your stay with us and I am now pleased to report the ballroom will be complete next week and it is looking fantastic.
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

We booked with Shearings and only had a standard room on the 3rd floor. Wish we had booked a superior room.
Food was very good. Bruno the waiter was very friendly.
Excellent trips to Portmerton and Bodnant Gardens.

Room Tip: A superior room would be best.
Dear IanP
Many thanks for your review which is short and sweet with a very good room tip. I can think of nothing better than to visit Bodnant gardens and Port Merion in the sunshine. I have passed on your comment to Bruno who is plesed to get a mention.
Crawley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

First hotel with Shearings & found it to be a little disapointing.I know it, s a Victorian hotel but i would have expected a shower in the bathroom (not just bath) & bed had sheet & blanket.Also it,s quite a walk into the town.
Entertainment other than bingo was short & not often.
Otherwise I found my stay to be O.K. Service & staff were very good.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank peteradams_9
TheCountyHotel, Manager at Bay County Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Peteradams9
I'm really sorry to read of your disapointment with your room we are currently changing all our beds to Duvets but with 100 rooms it does take a little time.
On the other hand I'm delighted you were happy with the service we provided.
brighton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Just retured from yet another coach holiday and found this hotel very nice .
Great location ,food quite large portions a little lacking in quality ,nice ballroom and entertainment if somewhat hot.room very clean but quite small .
Excellent trips to portmerion and bodnant gardens.
All in all great value .
Richard

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
1 Thank popBrighton
TheCountyHotel, Manager at Bay County Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear PopBrighton
Thank you so much for your review and all the positive comments you make. I have to agree that the trips to Bodnant Gardens and Port Merion are fantastic and I'm really glad you enjoyed them.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

We arrived at LIandudno on Monday and we had a lovely welcome from the trainee manager trish .our was on the third floor thats what we asked for the room number 323 was perfect room was spotless and beds we're comfortable we needed more pillows and no problem sorted the same day .the breakfast and evening meals we're always hot well presented and a verygood choice .staff in the restaurant we're all smart and always there to help the bar staff always smiling and very helpful we would return to the hotel again and recommend LIANDUDNO to anyone .

Room Tip: If unfit you would be better booking ground floor . because only one lift that holds two people only...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
2 Thank fluffyessex1
Dear FluffyEssex1
I'm delighted to read your review and we would to see you here again. I'm always pleased to get such good reviews especially about how hard we work and how helpful we are many thanks Fluffy. I must say looking at your photo you don't look very fluffy but I'm syre you are.