“good value”

and 1 more site!
Dunoon
Ranked #27 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Just returned from a one night stay at the dunoon. We hadnt booked but we were lucky and got a room for the night, we were given the choice of two rooms. The rooms are basic but very clean, the staff were very friendly and courteous. We did not have the evening meal as we ate at the home cookin which was excellent, but we did have breakfast at the dunoon which was lovely.

Will definatly go back to the dunoon as we thought excellent value at £80.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank rita m

Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed here a part of a package tour with Great Rail Journeys and have mostly positive things to say. First, Llandudno is a wonderful bespoke Victorian resort town which has maintained its historical identity and avoided the trappings of chain restaurants and hotels. I can't recall seeing a single chain hotel anywhere in the downtown area. That said, you should know that 100 year old hotels have to deal with certain realities and you should be aware of them before you book a stay. The Dunoon really is a step back in time-----crooked walls and floors and no air conditioning (we didn't need it at any time during our first week in Sept. stay) Our room on the top floor had a large windows and there was always a pleasant breeze flowing in from the sea. The room was small but the bed was a queen or king and most comfortable and we found the slanting floors charming. A small bathroom with a tub and odd shower apparatus with less than ideal water pressure but not really a problem. Nice towels, coffee and tea in the room and everything was spotless! The lift is very small and when there's a crowd you might have to wait, or climb u to three flights of narrow stairs. Again, no problem for us but perhaps for some. The staff was mostly from Spain and they were busy non-stop (they all seems to do a lot of jobs----from working the bar and reception desk to manning the dining room) Our package came with breakfast and dinner----and the dining room always seemed busy with both hotel guests and non-guests. The breakfast menu was not huge-----a set choice of about 8 hot dishes including eggs, bacon, porridge etc. and a table of fresh fruit, yogurt and assorted cold cereals. Since I don't eat either eggs or red meat my choices were somewhat limited, but my husband enjoyed the eggs benedict every morning. It would have been nice to have the option of perhaps fried bread (i.e. French toast), pancakes or perhaps scones. The vegetarian choices for dinner were excellent! The meat entrees were hit and miss----I had cod one night and it was full of bones so I sent it back after 2 bights----the waiter apologized but did not ask if I'd like something else. The soups were very bland but most of the clientele are elderly so I'm pretty sure this is what their guests prefer. Some of the starter choices were delicious---in particular the smoked redwood cheddar salad with balsamic glaze and the melon with fruit salsa. Our dining companions loved the duck and steak and ale pie, but the roast pork and steak were pretty bland. The desserts were almost always excellent and I heard no complaints whatsoever. The fixed price menu was about 25 pounds and that included soup, starter, entrée, dessert and a table of cheeses. Soft drinks, alcohol and coffee or tea were extra. I really do believe the Dunoon strives to please their core dining base----again, mostly elderly people so I think there's a generational difference where tastes are concerned. The only other problems I'd mention are that our table was waiting on our entrees when the other tables were finishing dessert. Our dining companions were also most upset that the wine glasses were tiny and there were no large red wine glasses to be found, and the manager stated that he just didn't have enough. The staff did do a small amount of laundry for us and did a great job at a really reasonable price----this was a godsend for us and we were most appreciative. All the staff we encountered were most pleasant and did their best to deal with problems........but if you're looking for a Hilton/Marriott/Hyatt experience, I suspect you won't find it in any of Llandudno's hotels. But you won't pay the ridiculous room rates of those chains either. And for us, that is what makes this wonderful town such a delight.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank blndgenie
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Having looked at the website, I was really quite excited about having a weekend stay at the Dunoon. I'm sad to say, I was a little disappointed as it didn't really live up to the expectations set through their website. The hotel itself is pleasant, as are the rooms and staff. It's just that I was expecting 'great'. The food, however, was a huge disappointment - I'd eat out if I were you!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Nic C
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stayed five nights and were most impressed with the quality of the hotel. Meals. were well prepared and served, and breakfast was always excellent with a good choice of dishes. The bathroom was small and had a strange shower arrangement, otherwise most comfortable with very helpful and friendly staff.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mature_traveller6
Reviewed 9 August 2013

The dunoon hotel
from the moment we arrived we were welcomed with warmth and professional
service my mother in law is wheelchair bound and the staff are great.Nothing
is too much trouble the food was excellent they catered to all our requirements
customer service first class i wood strongly recommend this hotel for its comfort
well done to all of the staff 100% 5 star service

Room Tip: superior rooms mostly on front
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank confed1
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I have recently returned from a 2 night stay in the Dunoon hotel, from arrival/ check in process everything was efficient and high class. I travelled with my mother and grandmother and we had booked a family room. The room was large, bright and airy with lots of space to get changed/ moved around in comfort. The only comment would be that considering this was a family room, only 2 towels/ cups/ tea facilities were supplied, not enough for all 3 of us.
Breakfast was a delight, on the first morning we were placed on a table that definitely wasn't adequate for 3, with no space for all the breakfast essentials we were very squashed and had to move condiments ect on the windowsill. However the next morning we were moved and breakfast was a much more pleasant experience. We did not dine in the evening, but based on breakfast the food was top quality.
I will be returning in the future after such a pleasant trip!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2013

And I've never said that before in a review! Staff, food, room all brilliant, would definitely stay again. Why did it miss my top rating? The food was great, I particularly enjoyed the duck leg and beans, carefully copied by Raymond Blanc on TV last night, but sometimes all you want is a nice salad, particularly in this weather, please take note for next time.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple