“A great start by new owners - see it to believe it!”
Review of The Risboro Hotel

The Risboro Hotel
Ranked #46 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 28 September 2010

I met up with extended family and friends in Llandudno for a weekend, and they had booked us all into the Risboro Hotel. Having read the reviews on TripAdvisor, I was convinced that the weekend would be a disaster. Bathroom tiles hanging off? Terrible service? Dirty rooms? Smelly toilets? It certainly didn't look good!

I was very wrong – and so were a lot of the reviews I’d read. Yes, there was a slightly loose tile in the gents. One. But it didn’t smell, and it certainly didn’t hinder my bathroom activities.

Yes, the rooms need a little updating – the avocado bathroom suite was a bit seventies, but it was in perfect working order and I was in no way disappointed that the view from the throne was a few years out of date. The bedroom was clean, tidy and comfortable.

As for the service, I couldn’t give high enough praise. From the moment we arrived at reception to find a cheerful young lady who offered a welcoming smile and as much assistance as we could ever need, to the General Manager who took the time to meet and greet guests, socialize with them and generally make the hotel an altogether great place to be.

The restaurant was clean, spacious and welcoming and the food was absolutely fine. You can’t expect gourmet cuisine for twenty-nine quid a night dinner, bed and breakfast. I didn’t even expect good, wholesome food served in good time by friendly, attentive waiting staff – but that’s what we got.

The entertainment was this hotel’s crowning glory. I’ve seen a lot of shows over the years, but nothing could prepare me for what we were treated to in the hotel Ballroom on the Saturday night. A young singer opened the show with a fantastic selection of music. Fifties rock’n’roll, sixties pop, eighties stuff, you name it. He oozed charisma, and had the most incredible voice. We were all having a wonderful time, it just couldn’t get much better. Then it did. After a short break, the same guy came back on stage as Elvis Presley. Full outfit, hair, the works. Then, in a flash, he was dressed as the Blues Brothers, Meatloaf and Even Tina Turner!! He was joined on stage by another guy, and they sang songs from Grease, Sister Act, Abba, all in the appropriate outfits – it was simply breathtaking.

The people who are running the Risboro Hotel have just been there a few months, I gather. It looks like the place might have been a bit let down in the past, but rest assured the new people have moved Hell and Earth to bring the place back to life and they continue to do so. An absolutely sterling effort by each and every member of staff, and boy oh boy what fantastic results.

Don’t be put off by bad reviews – This place is on the up and up, and it really is worth a visit – especially while the rates are still so reasonable!! What a fantastic weekend. A big, big thank you to all of the staff.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank wiseoldturnip
ohoh1968, Owner at The Risboro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2010

Many thanks for a great review, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay! Many guests staying though the weekend have commented on the entertainment and you can be assured that we will most definitely be booking that act again

Very Best Regards

Mark Chenery

Reviewed 20 September 2010

Food was passable. Dining room service at our table verged on hostile. Accommodation was poor and room cleanliness was unacceptable.

Would not recoomend or ever visit again!

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank gdhamilt
ohoh1968, Owner at The Risboro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2010

This response is the subjective opinion of a guest and not necessarily based in fact.

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the Risboro. You Claims that the hotel is dirty are ludicrous. I find it hard to believe that you would complain on here with regards to your food as you made no complaint to us while staying at the hotel, in fact a copy of my day book is available for anyone to view, there were in fact NO complaints from your group with regard to food or cleanliness during your stay. I would point out that you were in fact paying £29.00 per night to the hotel for a three course dinner, bed and breakfast ! If you require 5 star treatment may i suggest that you stay at a 5 star hotel ! Once again we apologise for you not enjoying your stay with us and wish you all the best for the future.

Mark and family

Reviewed 20 September 2010

We traveled to the Risboro hotel not knowing what to expect after reading some of the reviews.The staff where nice and friendly our rooms clean and spacious Food very good .Mark and his family are working hard to get the hotel back to its best.Thank you Mark and all the staff.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends

Many thanks for your review, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Best Regards

Mark and Family

Reviewed 19 September 2010

I went for my 50th birthday and thought I was going to have a good time because it was supposed to be a 60s weekend but it wasnt and on my birthday we had tea and end up going to our room all night the hotel is best suited for the elderly who want to have a quite time.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
ohoh1968, Owner at The Risboro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2010

We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us ! once we were made aware of your birthday we gave a card from the hotel, however we were not informed that it was a celebration and as for it being a 60's weekend i suggest you take that up with your tour operator as we definitely did not advertise it as a 60's weekend ! We provide top quality entertainment 5 nights a week far more than any other hotel in the area, we also boost any prize money up in order to make it worth winning as well as provide prizes and the such, however , its difficult to make people celebrate if they dont want to ! Perhaps if you had mentioned to the staff that it was your birthday or brought some friends along with you it would have been more the party you seemed to be seeking, instead of relying on the hotel to provide your celebration. The entertainment provided on Friday night was an Elvis Presley Tribute quite safely within the 60's bracket and due to low numbers provided by your tour operator there was no formal entertainment supplied on Saturday night. We are contractually obliged to provide ONE nights entertainment over a weekend break. Therefore we met our obligation. You are of course entitled to your opinion and it appears that Trip advisor is beyond reproach with regard to printing peoples PERSONAL opinions, lets just hope YOUR personal opinion does not damage my business or my families livelihood.

Reviewed 12 September 2010

The Risboro was a good, comfortable, clean and pleasant place to stay. The food was good, always hot, and the staff were friendly. There is clearly an ongoing effort by the managers to improve the facility and iron out those little faults that any hotel can experience. None of the problems I found were worthy of complaint, although I would like to see more hotels, not just the Risboro, include a small refrigerator in their rooms. As a diabetic I need somewhere cool for my insulin and it's nice to be able to have a cool drink at hand when the bar isn't open.
As a disabled customer I was delighted to find that the Risboro has it's own mobility scooter for hire at an extremely reasonable rate. This added to the extremely pleasurable time we had in Llandudno and my wife and I are grateful for the effort Mark, his family and staff made to make our stay thoroughly enjoyable.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ishodgson2010
Reviewed 12 September 2010

on arrival my friend went to the toilet in reception they smelt and were not clean, our beds were clean and towels looked new but the deco needs updating and the single bed needs replacing also the chest of drawers and wardrobe, the curtains did not fit the window properly and the bathroom door hinge was loose (which was fixed on been reported).

downstairs in the toilet the mirror was broken with a cardboard put in with a smiley face drawn on, the tiles on the wall were coming of and some of the ceiling tiles were missing.

on the positive side the food was good service was quick and with a smile, table cloths were clean.
these people have only taken over in May and Ithe previous owner has neglected what could be a lovely hotel, I hope that over the winter there will be lots of improvements.

good luck

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank margshaz
ohoh1968, Owner at The Risboro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2010

Thank you for your review of our hotel - i,m sorry you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel and i note your points with interest , its clear you have taken great time an effort in noticing that things are not all perfect and that there are a few things that need updating , a fact that we have never denied.
You go on to mention that alot of the problems are inherited problems that we are clearly trying to address, however Rome was not built in a day and the Roman empire was not receiving £29.00 PER PERSON PER NIGHT FOR DINNER BED AND BREAKFAST !

Reviewed 9 September 2010

my parents are still currently staying in the hotel and are having a fab time, and made that extra special by the staff and manager who went out of their way to make my mum and dads anniversary a date to remember. The flowers ordered by the hotel were honestly amazing.......thank you sooooo much. My parents booked this trip after having to cancel their 2 week holiday to greece due to my dad been rushed to hospital and been diagnosed with congestive heart failure where he stayed for a month, having stabilised he was given the all clear to take this break at the risboro which also landed on dates of their wedding anniversary. Not knowing what to do for for their special day ,i contacted the hotel......and they just took in their stride. Another big thank you, and a special thank you to mark.

Stayed: September 2010