“Function at the St George's”
Review of St. George's Hotel

St. George's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 13 October 2012

I went to the annual Champions awards last night on the 12/10/12, the 3 course meal was outstanding. Everything was cooked to perfection and the presentation was first class. We had Tomato and red pepper soup to start which had a delicious kick to it, followed by roast beef which was perfectly pink and tender with all the trimmings and finished off with the best raspberry creme brûlée I've ever had. Definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Eleriwills
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

We so much appreciate the time taken to leave such a nice review.
These annual awards for North Wales are such a special evening and am sure it meant so much for you and your family, I am only too pleased to know that we made it so memorable for you all.
Our very best wishes and kind regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,476)

Reviewed 12 October 2012

The hotel is lovely, clean and welcoming. I hardly saw the staff other than at breakfast but the receptionist was pleasant and welcoming and the Night porter was very helpful too. The food was very nice and there was a wide variety to suit all. My room was on the fourth floor and it was lovely and had plenty of room. The shower was very nice but i would ask for a shower mat as when the shower had been on for 5 mins the floor became slippery even though there were treads on the floor. The room was comfortable and warm and very clean.
The hotel is close to the beach, shops and nightlife. Lovely hotel to stay in and i will recommend it to my friends and family.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank firstwelshprincess

Thank you for your kind words and we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay, and hope it won't be too long before you return to North Wales and St George's.
kindest regards

Reviewed 7 October 2012

Stayed one night at St Georges. Cant fault it. Brilliant location. Can thoroughly recommend this hotel. The food in the restaurant at the evening meal was first class, breakfast was excellent. Will definitely be going back but for longer stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SpongebobPreston
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to place such a nice review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay, and your kind words do encourage all of us.
We are so pleased to read you will be back soon to St George's as that's, what it is all about.
kind regards and our best wishes.

Reviewed 25 September 2012

Booked a two night stay with a Groupon Voucher. Stayed on 17th & 18th of September. We had high hopes after reading the other reviews.The area itself was lovely and the hotel looked very clean on the outside. We checked in and made our way to our room. The room itself was decorated nicely but our room was small (like an attic conversion with sloping ceiling).This issue was not helped by the fact the there was loads of pointless furniture everywhere. Who ever decided where to place things clearly has never spent much time ever staying in any hotel as the room just looked cramped.

By one side of our bed we had a bedside table and just a big gap of nothing until the corner of the room. And where the bedside table ended, they had placed the wardrobe facing the bed. It made no sense to have a larger corner just wasted for nothing and leaving no room to move. The other side was worse. Again a bedside table, followed by a large desk. Great as a dressing table, except the mirror is placed so far down the wall (past the table) that you need to stand up to use the mirror in the bathroon instead. Hardly ideal. We had a chest of drawers which the tv sat on, again why did this need to be placed right by the bathroom door?

We had a large hollow space where the sloping ceiling was, but again other than use for our luggage it seemed pointless. There was no views out our window (faced another hotel), had a draught coming through the window and on one particularily cold night, no heating, the AC at 22 degrees still just blew out cold air. The towel rail even when left on over night did not heat up the towels. Walking out our room there were random bits of furniture just dumped everywhere, tables, chairs, desks etc in stacks outside our door!

The breakfast was good, great choices, nice music but the whole stay just felt so pretentious. What with the red carpet at the enterance, the extortiante prices for an unappetizing menu and the lack of anything for a tourist to learn or do other than learn about the hotel, our stay just felt like being in a nursing home for two days. Great place to come if you are retired, you can just relax and watch the sea, but for a young couple, we got bored and ventured far and away for something inspiring.

Llandudno itself is nice, we climbed the big hill/cliff and views from there are amazing, we ate at Forte's Restaurant (best place by far) and visited the piers arcades. But the hotel was the biggest let down. Definitely not worth the 4 stars (we had just stayed at a budget hotel in cardiff that had more to offer) and if I am ever to return to Llandudno, this hotel will be the last place I would wish to return to. We even had other couples saying the same thing as we were all queing to check out!

Do not let this hotel ruin your stay in such a picturesque place.

Room Tip: Don't have a voucher/coupon to book with this hotel as they will clearly put you in a substandar...
6  Thank Aarti B
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2012

All rooms were fully refurbished in 2006/7 by a National Hotel Design Company I am sorry you feel they have got it wrong.
There were chairs stacked in an alcove not in the corridor, they were moved please excuse this oversight.
Quite understandably your ''high hopes'' were based on numerous people's opinions having been placed on this site sadly your own opinion is different from all of there's.
As for, by your words, being '' a young bored and uninspired couple staying in a pretentious retirement home.'' Allow me to respond by saying we as a team work hard to provide a warm and friendly service which has been the foundation of our success, for TA users reading this review please visit our website, the link is at the top of the page, to look and consider if St George's presents itself as a retirement home?
As for being bored there are numerous brochures on our ground floor advertising the wealth of attractions and activities in Llandudno, Conwy and Snowdonia to inspire one to experience the best of North Wales.
And finally as for being pretentious well I have my own opinion which will remain private and which at least is courteous and more appropriate.
My only regret is if we as a team, missed an opportunity to change your opinion, sadly I do doubt.
All best wishes

Reviewed 25 September 2012

Room 400 classed as the latest Orme and Pier View premium room (£185 B&B/night) on the 4th floor must count as the most expensive per sq.ft room outside London; "shoe box" is more applicable. Throw in, uncontrollable power shower, no bedside light, lift noise, rowdy wedding guests all night, car parking lottery, smoking litter in the hotel entrance and this becomes a experience not to be repeated. Staff (other than those on reception when I complained) were, however, very helpful and food was of good quality. Other hotels of similar star rating in Llandudno are better.

Room Tip: Ask for the lift position in relationship to the room and don't go on wedding days.
5  Thank David C
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2012

Room 400 is our latest new room completely designed and newly built at the start of the year. It has never had such comments made and with the 16 foot high ceilings and 4 windows which are nearly floor to ceiling with dramatic views of the Orme and Llandudno Pier have only impressed and been recommended. As can been shown even on this site, by looking at Travellers Photographs at the top of the page and look at HotelSniper 26th. February, note the review and photo [with 2 bedside lights].
You have however kindly balanced your remarks and said how good the team and food was, I do note the reception point and will look into that and can only apologize for some inconsiderate guests.
I am please to say and as can be seen by this public site St George's is a successful, friendly hotel with an excellent team working hard to deliver great service.
I would ask on next returning to Llandudno contact me directly and I will be delighted to assist in the arrangements of your booking to assure you of a warm welcome and enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 25 September 2012

We had a lovely 2 night stay in this hotel and we could not fault it in any way. The bedroom was very comfortable and clean, with all the amenities, including wi fi. The breakfasts were excellent and the dining staff were all friendly and helpful, we did not have our evening meal at the hotel but we did have afternoon tea in the Terrace Restaurant, which was superb, after that we could not manage an evening meal. All the staff at the hotel were very helpful and could not do enough for us, if we had any queries they were answered or sorted immediately. The hotel is in an excellent location, just across the road from the beach and within walking distance of many shops, bars and restaurants.

I had mentioned when booking, about 6 weeks previous, that it was my birthday on the day of our arrival and when we got to our room there was a lovely birthday card waiting for me from All The George's Team, I though that was a very thoughtful gesture.

I would like to mention that I had left a bag behind in our room and I rang the hotel when we were about 50 miles away on our way home, What a STAR Hevlwyn in Housekeeping was, she checked our room and my bag was found in there, she forwarded the bag on to me, we arrived home on the Tuesday evening and my bag arrived on the morning of Thursday morning. You cannot get better than that.

We hope to return to the St Geoge's again in the future and hope to stay longer next time.

Room Tip: We had a room on the side, which had a reasonable view, although next time we go we will probably as...
1  Thank Gill L

Such a lovely review thank you for taking the to post both reviews it is very much appreciated.
As always it's the little things that can make all the difference and am so pleased we were able to return your bag and have to say Heulwen is delighted to be mentioned ''in dispatches.''
We shall hopefully look forward to welcoming you back soon to St George's.
kind regards and best wishes.

Reviewed 25 September 2012

My wife and I stayed here for three nights 20th September for a birthday break.Was unable to book a sea view room as were all booked,but the second floor room was lovely.It was kept spotless by the maid and bathroom toiletries and towels were replaced daily.The food here was absolutely superb,from the cooked breakfast.toast fruit etc. to the wonderful dinner.I pre booked dinner with the hotel reservation as it worked out quite a lot cheaper,and I was not disappointed.The three course dinner had fantastic starters,a good choice of main and sweets.There were also specials each evening.I would certainly encourage you to eat their!I I would like to compliment Lucy who was always smiling and accomodating at meal times, and Aaron who seemed to have your drink on the table before you had finished ordering it.They certainly made meal times more enjoyable.Yes there are parking problems in the hotel car park, but I never had a problem as there is always space on the surrounding streets.For example parking on the promenade is free between 16.00 and 10.00 next morning.With the surrounding area having The Great Orme,Betws-y-coed,Snowdonia Ffestiniog railway,Welsh Highland railway and various castles,this hotel is a superb place to stay.

1  Thank beachman_12

Thank you for such a lovely review, it really is so encouraging for all of us to realize, how our hard work can be so much appreciated.
What is particularly encouraging is to read your review of our Terrace Restaurant and to know how much you enjoyed the food. We have a new and improved menu launching in October with increased choice and more of those special... specials available.
We hope it won't be too long before we are welcoming you back to North Wales and St George's.
kind regards and best wishes