“Lovely Hotel on the beach”
Review of St. George's Hotel

St. George's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel on the beach”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

We stayed at the St Georges for one night. Firstly we arrived at 12.30pm and were exhausted as my daughter is on tour and the room wasnt ready. On arrival we were greeted at the entrance by about 7 people blocking the entrance smoking. This is not a great welcome particularly if you are allergic to cigarette smoke. There was a wedding at the Hotel so was really busy. I did ask to be put into a quiet room and they assured me that it was quiet. The room itself was lovely and the beds the most comfortable beds I have stayed in. Having said that for a twin room it was quite small but it had a really large bathroom and small passageway. I would be more inclined to make the bedroom larger. We had lunch in the tea room which was absolutely lovely and service there was impeccable. When we arrived back at the Hotel at about 10.30pm we were exhausted and there was a lot of noise coming from the wedding party. I was assured that we were in a quiet room and we were on the 3rd floor so wouldnt hear it. We this wasnt the case. We were above the conservatory and the noise was shocking. The quieter rooms Im sure would have been at the front of the Hotel. I did have to ring down to reception to ask how long the music would go on for and was told it would finish at midnight. Not great since we had been trying to sleep from 11pm. What I will say is that the Hotel is a lovely building with lovely staff but there could be more lifts, more space between breakfast tables (we were crammed in and having breakfast so close to other guests), having said that breakfast was fantastic. There are lots of things that could make this Hotel better, such as the reception. It is quite shabby. The lifts can only fit 4 people and are very basic. Not a lot of parking and if you do manage to park around the back there is no way into the Hotel from the back, you have to walk all the way back around. What I really liked about St Georges was the lovely tea room overlooking the sea. I would stay again but maybe next time request a room overlooking the sea and not the noisy conservatory and car park/back lane!

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room at the front of the Hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank superskier87
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Well a mix of comments, however being a glass half full person, have to mention your kind comments on a lovely room with the most comfortable beds and a lovely lunch with impeccable service, alongside enjoying a fantastic breakfast, makes me believe when hopefully you do return, as you say you may, you will experience the best of St George's.
Referring to your other points, smoking at the entrance is not the designated smoking area and there are signs stating no smoking however there are some smokers who are inconsiderate, and our team do try to monitor it but I do regret any issues that arose.
As for being disturbed by noise with regular events at St George's there is normally no issues as the pages of reviews do testify and 3 rd. floor rooms have usually no issue, but sorry you were disturbed and appreciate you seem to have had a tiring trip which this didn't help.
First time we have had a comment on more than one lift needed but would say it has been recently refurbished to the present regulations and recommendations.
Sometimes comments are down to opinions and I would say the reception in my opinion is certainly not shabby, all the foyer chairs are new less than a year old with the whole foyer having been repainted just before Christmas, we do try to maintain the whole hotel to a high standard and am pleased to say have a considerable amount of compliments.
Parking as by a couple of recent reviews is a difficulty in Llandudno we would advise our guests to use our assisted parking service provided by our concierge team who will advise on the best option available on your arrival, even better if you phone the hotel before coming, we will be only to happy to help. There is no access from the back car park as you point out, our Victorian predecessors did not unfortunately design their hotels for the convenience of the driver, however we have installed an intercom to reception to call for assistance with luggage and parking.
So please do contact me when next looking to return as I would wish to meet you and show you the best of St George's.
kind regards and best wishes
Tony Burns

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2013

A two night stopover with friends with fine dinning superb rooms and first class service.A true weekend to remember.Only faults I could find was that the bar prices where on the heavy side and parking can be a problem at peak timesThe breakfast was one of the best that I have had.Thankyou to all the staff who where very professional and extremly well mannered.I would certainly reccomend it to all

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
A lovely review thank you for placing it and hope you will be back again soon.
Our bar prices, which we do monitor are comparable to our competitors but we hope our service will always be better !
Till the next time and please do ask for me as I shall buy you a drink....
kind regards
Staffordshire, England
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Booked a king-size bed room with a balcony for a one-night stay, after doing quite a bit of research for a decent place to stay in Llandudno. We also had an arrive and revive package ie: light 2 course dinner included in the package.

St George's Hotel turned out to be pretty near excellent overall, but not quite. On arrival - by car, you can pull up just outside the hotel to unload bags etc. They do have a car park - but it was full most of the time we were there. Dont try double parking in it, as it may take you ages to get your car out again. After checking in - which was efficient - I eventually found a parking spot out on the street after driving round the block a couple of times. You can park on the street free from 5pm onwards till 10 the next morning.

Our room was on the first floor - and it was really spacious and well furnished. Slightly cold when we arrived, but the heating was highly efficient - so no problem. The room was very clean and bright. The bathroom was big - with really good bath and shower over. There were also nice robes in the bathroom. The bed was big and really comfortable. Unfortunately, the sheets did not entirely cover the mattress - so you could see it at the head of the bed. This could be not the right size sheets or just badly made up bed. No big deal, but I expect the bed to be made properly.

Our room had a great sea view - and a balcony. Unfortunately, we could not go out on the balcony as there was scaffolding up and a note on the door said no access due to renovation. This was a shame - and should have been noted prominently on the website when we made the booking. Anyway we were only there night - so would have had very limited use of the balcony. I understand that the scaffolding will be down later in March.

We had dinner in the Terrace Restaurant - which was quite lovely. Although on the limited choice menu, we still found this sufficient. Quality of food was excellent and the service very good.

Breakfast was served in the big Wedgwood Room. Good cereal and fruit selection. Hot food was on a buffet style service, with a member of staff behind. I had scrambled eggs and bacon - although it wasnt that good, and for the price we were paying I would have preferred some kind of personally prepared food - which was not offered by the waiting staff.

Overall, this hotel has excellent rooms - which would bring us back to stay there in what is a great town in North Wales.

Room Tip: Book a sea view king size room.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JonoLion
Thank you for reviewing and though pretty near excellent, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay and will look to return. However, as for the one or two points highlighted I would want to reply...
Parking can be difficult in Llandudno, St George's actually has one of the largest hotel car parks in the town and we do offer assisted parking so when next returning just contact James our Concierge and he will offer all the assistance and advice to minimize any such problems.
As for housekeeping we are pleased you found the room clean and bright but note the comment on the bed sheet and this is not the norm, so sorry and have of course, raised this with Dani our Housekeeper.
Now for the scaffolding, well this sadly is a necessary evil, to allow the full refurbishment of our Grade II listed building, however though inconvenient , there are no sea view or balcony charges being made. However I do note your point, on improving the details to our guests, but have to say what a stunning finish it will be on completion by the end of March.
Lovely to read how much you enjoyed dinner and as for breakfast when very busy, we serve the hot food buffet style which is quite customary, however the menus on each table do offer table service if so desired and I quite understand your preference.
Please when you next return, do ask for me, so I may personally welcome you back to the newly refurbished St George's.
kindest regards
Tony Burns
Sandbach Cheshire
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I would like to start by saying I always give my honest review wether its good or bad and I have to say once again I would give this hotel ten stars if I could, the food the staff and everything else that goes with this hotel is fantastic!
We stayed for the weekend for my birthday a couple of weeks ago and both me and the wife were very impressed the staff make you most welcome we only had bbed and breakfast but if the breakfast is anything to go by I am sure you would not be disappointed at the dinner!
Would deffinately go back lovely rooms clean and modern nothing was to much trouble thank you to all the staff it's a credit to the owners keep up the good work!

Room Tip: We had a rear view room but to be honest we did not spend to much time in our room but I am sure if...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Such a great review and 'honestly' can say, that such words only give the team a big boost and are so appreciated. There is a real commitment by all the team at St George's, to maintain and keep improving the standards of quality and service for all our guests.
We hope we shall be welcoming you back soon
Fleet, Hampshire
Reviewed 8 March 2013

My wife and I stayed at this elegant hotel with the family for my birthday at the end of February/beginning of March. I booked two double rooms and a single. All were well-appointed, large enough and comfortable. The staff were excellent - friendly and helpful. The only downside was the smallish car park, but this is a Victorian/Edwardian town, so car parking wasn't a high priority when the hotels were constructed. The restaurant served delicious meals - we didn't eat anywhere else. Full silver service and no paper napkins. Attention to detail was evident. Strongly recommended.

Room Tip: None of us experienced noise or disturbance. Rooms on the north side look over the bay. The exterior...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RonFleet_Hampshire
Firstly our best wishes and we are so pleased to read that you had a lovely birthday.
And how much you all enjoyed our food and service, we can only hope before your next birthday there will be an opportunity to welcome you back to St George's.
All our best wishes.
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Stayed here in january while visiting family room great nice view of the orme. Food was great one of the best breakfast set ups i have experienced.afternoon tea fantastic and the evening meals the service of the staff was very profgesional and sincere

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for reviewing and it's excellent to know how much you appreciated the service and food.
We can only hope you decide to visit Llandudno and St George's in the future.
Thank you again and all our best wishes
Hungerford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We have just returned from a lovely weekend in Llandudno with my in-laws. We booked via Groupon and the hotel was absolutely first class and couldn't be faulted. It is a very welcoming hotel and the staff are excellent; very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Our rooms were spacious and spotlessly clean. The food is also first class - we had two really fabulous meals. We would happily return - and hopefully will in the not too distant future.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sally H
Such a great review thank you for taking the time to place it. Always so appreciate to know how welcoming and friendly you found the team here at St George's, your kind words do really encourage all of us and even more so, in knowing you will look to return in the not too distant future.
kindest regards