“Despite the scaffolding”

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Despite the scaffolding”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

Room 102
We had stayed before and knew the location was perfect.
Our room was possibly the smallest hotel room we have ever stayed in. It had all the facilities you might need but actually using them was tricky. Even getting the kettle out to make tea was awkward. The bathroom by contrast was huge and very smart. We considered moving some of the furniture into it to make more space in our room.
We were on a groupon offer and unlike other hotels we were not given a lesser deal at breakfast and there was an unexpected bottle of Cava in the room which I don't think was actually included in the deal.
The staff were, without exception, helpful and friendly. The bar menu was good but we were not tempted by the restaurant menu which seemed overpriced. The breakfast buffet was comprehensive and as a fussy vegetarian I could not fault it. The only gripe I had was that on the second day the vegetarian items of the cooked breakfast were 'swimming' in butter. I asked for uncooked (raw, fresh) tomatoes and the waitress just said 'no, sorry'. I know I sound petty but surely there was an uncooked tomato somewhere the hotel?
I think the groupon deal was purposefully timed to co-inside with the outside of the hotel being painted. We had a view of scaffolding and sometimes workmen out of our window but I can't say that it mattered very much.
Overall the stay was excellent and we would visit again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Welcome back and thank you for your comments. Your room is one of ur standard rooms which do vary in size.. Room Tip.. we would advise guests to speak to our Reservations team for the best room available at the best rates, there's nothing better than to speak to the person whose going to allocate your room.
Our Restaurant menu is very competitive and along with our Lounge menu there is a wide choice and equally a wide range of pricing to appeal to all diners.
Regarding the uncooked tomato for breakfast, well of course you should have been served one, so I can only apologize, the waitress has clearly misunderstood and confirmed uncooked tomatoes are not served yet on requesting I am sure would have.
The promotion has run through Winter till the end of March and was not implemented due to the external painting project.
We are pleased to read you will look to return as you found the stay yet again excellent.
best wishes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013 via mobile

Another lovely stay at this perfect hotel.Staff so warm and friendly.Meals beautifully presented and nothing beats sitting in the restaurant overlooking the promenade.Why don't we go there more often?.Yes ok there was scaffolding around the hotel but we were informed of this before we got there via their website and this kind of work has got to be done to keep it in tip top condition,it did not detract from our stay at all.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
So pleased how you enjoyed yet another visit to St George's. What's so kind is even with the fact of the scaffolding [nearly all finished by Easter] our friendly team and great food with the wonderful views from the lounge and restaurant made it a 'perfect visit once again.'
Till the next time...all our best wishes
stoke on trent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

we recently spent two nights at the george and we were well impressed our room was on the front and the view over the bay was beautiful our son had arranged sparkling wine for our arrival it made us feel very special we were well impressed with the breakfast all kinds of beautiful fruit every cereal you could ask for and the hot breakfast bar was delicious we didnt eat again until the evening the staff were very warm and friendly and made us very welcome we will be back very soon

Room Tip: after only one visit its hard to say but the room on the front was very nice to be able to look out...
1 Thank carole e
Such a great review thank you for taking the trouble to post. Your kind words are so appreciated and mean a lot to the team who are so pleased to know you will be back soon to Llandudno and St George's.
kind regards
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

Stayed here on Saturday March 16th for my mother's 80th birthday.

They put her in a room with scaffolding outside the window, so you could barely see the "sea view" - after we'd emphasised it was a special occasion.....

Despite requesting a room next door to my mother - we were put in one 5 doors down the corridor which had a VERY damp smell. (2nd floor). Also, the fire alarm went off at 7.55 am on SUNDAY morning - not good - no apology at reception when checking out - only a small notice in the lift saying the problem had been rectified.

Breakfast was ok - but staff forgot the order for the "cooked part" - so that took over half an hour to turn up after re-ordering...I thought this was a FOUR STAR hotel......

Room Tip: Check if hotel has scaffolding - and how it will affect your room and the view. Staff DO NOT automat...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 01Mari
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Firstly our best wishes to your mother on her 80th. birthday. I regret very much the scaffolding was a disappointment it is vital painting and repair work to be completed by this coming Easter, it will result in a wonderful finish and provide full weather proofing for all rooms.
I offer this as an explanation and will contact you directly to deal with this matter more appropriately.
Kind regards
Northwich, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

We booked this hotel for one night having read many good reviews. It was £112 which sounded reasonable given it's good reputation.

On arrival, we were lucky to get a parking space just outside, however it appeared that parking was very limited.

Check in was very fast and straightforward and the receptionist was polite and friendly.

Our room was on the 4th floor. It was nicely decorated although the chair in the corner was stained. There was a half used bottle of balsamic in the cupboard which looked like it had been left by a previous guest. The exterior was covered in scaffolding which obscured any view the room may have had.

The room itself however appeared to be very clean, as was the bathroom. There were sufficient towels, and a range of toiletries. The en-suite was a shower (no bath) and you had to step into it, not level access so if you were a guest with mobility difficulties, it would be worth checking which rooms have more accessible facilities.

We read in the guest handbook that the doors of the hotel are locked at midnight, so we ensured we were back from our evening out by that time. On arrival back at the hotel at approximately 11.30pm there were 3 male members of staff stood directly in front of the entrance smoking cigarettes, which I thought gave quite a poor impression. We had to say "excuse me" to get past and into the hotel.

I found the bed to be quite hard, and small. Hotels usually have king size beds.

At 7.55am the fire alarms went off for a few seconds. There was not a need to evacuate, but it was prolonged enough to wake me up, and for my husband and I to get up and start getting dressed. As we were then awake we decided to have an early breakfast and then come back to the room and get ready to leave.

Breakfast is a buffet style, though unlike some hotels, a member of staff serves you from the buffet. I asked for bacon, sausage, egg, black pudding and beans and was given a single item of each. It was enough for me, but my husband found the portions insufficient. The food was ok though, nothing special but ok. The coffee was luke warm.

We then went back to our room to get ready and I nearly jumped out of my skin when I saw a man stood at the window. Turns out he was a workman doing work on a Sunday morning stood on the scaffolding outside. So if the fire alarm hadn't scuppered my chances of a lie-in, having workmen working directly outside the window at 9am would have done!

Overall I was very disappointed with my experience of this hotel and wouldn't stay here again. I understand that hotels need to have work done, but feel that we should have been advised of this, as it would have affected our decision to stay.

1 Thank Helen G
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Allow me to respond to the points you have raised which unfortunately have only been made through this public site and sadly not even direct to myself or team.
St. George's has a wide selection of rooms, out of our 76 there are 4 Shower only, including a 'wet room' for guests requiring greater accessibility. Thank you for comments on how clean the room was, yet sorry the bottle was missed.
You read in the guest handbook that our entrance doors are locked for reasons of hotel and guest security at midnight, what you have not said, or read, is that there is a night porter bell at the entrance to gain access at any time of the night. There were no members of staff smoking, you were mistaken, as these were sadly inconsiderate function guests.
I am sorry you felt the bed was hard or small, it is a typical standard double, though we do offer king size beds in our Premier rooms.
There was a false fire alarm in the morning, dealt with swiftly, and apology notices displayed, I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Our breakfasts as by previous reviews are well complimented and as for our busy breakfasts we do serve our hot food buffet style attended by a member of staff to assist at the buffet as added service and not rationing however we regret you felt this way.
The painting of St George's requires understandably scaffolding, all our websites has this information, sadly your booking agent did not inform you. However the work and scaffolding will be finished by Easter I am only sorry you were disappointed and there are letters in every room informing guests that work will be started at 9.00am every morning.
I appreciate you have placed your review accordingly however if you would consider contacting me directly, to allow me the opportunity of handling this matter in a more appropriate manner.
Beer, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

Excellent hotel. The roon was clean and the staff friendly. The hotel is being refurbished so expect some building work. The food was good and the bar great.
There is limited free parking and therefore we travelled by train. Plenty to see and eat but remember this is a small town. The hotel has free wifi, great bar etc.
Parking is a nightmare unless you park two miles away from the hotel. There is free parking away from the town centre and to be honest, it is easier taking a train.
The floors creak and it is an old building so you will not have phone reception in your room. If you have devices, make sure you get the password for the wifi from reception because they did not give us any details and we found out about the wifi the next day but then again, we were on holiday.
The hotel is quite close to the beach and there are great games at the pier.
The hotel is visited by mostly old folks so if you are young, expect a boring crowd who simply come to the hotel to have tea, coffee and stare at you the whole time.
Great place though.

Room Tip: Book early otherwise you will get the rooms with not a nice view.
2 Thank Darksideforever
Thank you for the majority of your review and yes we are being repainted, which will finish before Easter.
Wifi is free and available, reception will offer any assistance or information as required.
As for your last comment on other guests I won't consider replying to such an inappropriate remark.
Wolverhampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

My wife and I arrived on a windswept, howling Friday afternoon to find an imposing looking hotel overlooking the sea. The lady at check-in was delightful and helpful and genuinely genuine which seems rather rare these days. Our room was on the top floor and had views of the seafront on two sides, a huge emperor sized bed, spacious and very clean bathroom with a powerful shower, large TV and comfortable sofas - we loved it immediately.

Everywhere we went the staff were smiling and coudn't do enough to help, the place was spotless and then in the morning came the breakfast! Perfect fried eggs, fresh toast, fruit, yoghurts, eggs benedict, kippers - anything you could wish for and all served promptly by people who seemed to care about service.

Hats off to the staff and management who made our two night stay so happily memorable.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Such a lovely review and so very much appreciated. Your kind words do encourage our team who quite rightly, as you point out, do care about the service and we shall look forward, to you hopefully returning soon, back to St. George's and another warm welcome.
kindest regards