“Not so good and overpriced.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of St. George's Hotel

St. George's Hotel
Ranked #15 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Chester, United Kingdom
“Not so good and overpriced.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

We went here for 2 nights for our 30th wedding anniversary. We booked for 2 nights, dinner, bed and breakfast and the cost was £490. Expensive, yes, but we expected luxury for that price. We had room 119 sea view and balcony. Room was clean but VERY small. After some time trying to move around each other I went to reception and said the room was too small. They showed us 2 other rooms which were both small but 122 was slightly bigger, so we chose that 1 and had to go through all the bother of moving our stuff. We went for dinner that night and it was okay but nothing special. Went back to the room and when I put the lamp on I cut my finger as the stand, which was glass was broken. Called reception and they brought up a plaster and were apologetic. I wasn't to bothered with this as it was a small cut, but this should not have happened. Anyway settled down for the night but couldn't sleep as the room was far to hot, we opened balcony door to try and cool room down, this didn't work as there was no breeze that night, then tried air conditioning but this didn't work so again called reception. Night porter came and he couldn't get it to work and apologised. Couldn't leave balcony door open as we could hear traffic going by and it was unsafe to do this. We had only couple hours sleep due to the heat and the light shining through around the door. At breakfast I found the meal cold and overall not so good, have had far better and hot breakfasts elsewhere. Decided not to stay that night and went to reception, a manager was called and was aware of what had happened overnight and apologised. We told him we wanted to leave and not stay that night. This was ok and he asked for bill to be processed, charging us full price for that night, I said we hadn't slept etc., so he took 10% of. We paid £202.50 for the 1 nights dinner bed and breakfast. Only spent in total about 18 hours in the hotel. I really wanted to like this place but would say it was overpriced for what you get. If you are paying good money you expect a great stay. The hotel is clean and is in great location but overpriced for what you get. Also it can be noisy with a room at the front.

Room Tip: Room 119 is very small, yes you have sea view and shared balcony but room small. And can be a bit no...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank nefiwales
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
We very much regret you were disappointed, I have contacted you directly to handle more appropriately any concerns.
However at St George's and as its team, we strive to provide friendly hospitality with efficient service in the lovely setting of St George's.
As one of the most successful hotels in North Wales, the success is based on warm welcomes and enjoyable stays.
Director and Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
Bangor, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

I booked a double room for my husband and I as an anniversary treat. I paid £110 for our room for one night, the room was tiny and the bathroom was a bit tatty with paint peeling away from the bath, it was not worth price we paid at all.

4 Thank EdBayley
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
As you have not wished to contact me directly, I am unable to provide a full response to your comments.
I can say and demonstrate over the years, even from such an open and public site as TA, that we genuinely try and do provide, value with high standards of hospitality and service.
Please contact me directly so I may deal more appropriately with your comments.
Stockport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

Very nice hotel in the old fashioned sense of being waited on hand and foot with staff very obliging. Lovely room on the front which was two bedrooms next to each other to accommodate 3 friends together. Choice of food good. the added bonus of car parking at rear of hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for reviewing and leaving such kind and encouraging words, much appreciated by all the team.
We only hope it won't be too long before you and your friends need another break in Llandudno and St George's.
Best wishes
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here on a Sunday night for B&B plus evg meal. We were both really impressed and would have no hesitation in returning. A brilliant location on the sea front. On arrival the Reception staff were friendly and helpful, Christmas decorations looked lovely and already we felt welcome. Our room was nicely decorated in neutral shades and was clean and comfortable. Not very spacious but certainly adequate.

The lounge and bar area are both tastefully decorated and comfortable with bright lighting.
Our evening dinner was truly excellent - as was the service. A really first class restaurant. My husband likes to cook and has a keen interest in all things foodie!! He was thrilled with the standard of food and choice of dishes available.
We were sat nr the window with sea views for both dinner and breakfast and this was an added bonus. The staff were friendly and helpful and knowledgeable about the menu. We both had a wonderful stay at this hotel and have vowed to return.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Well it is such a ''treat'' for us to read your kind words and to know you will be looking to return to St George's.... what better response could we ask for.
Kind Regards
Rennes, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

we travelled from France to have our daughters wedding at the St Georges Hotel in Llandudno North Wales.
the staff were extremely helpful, particularly Nicky, the events organiser. She put together a wonderful wedding for us, nothing was too much trouble, she even arranged for my husband to have a surprise late 70th birthday celebration in conjunction with the wedding, including a lovely cake. The whole event was wonderful, friends came from all over England, and everything was kept secret from my husband (except the wedding!) The room was beautifully decorated, the food was marvellous, as was the presentation. Everyone was welcoming, and extremely helpful. I would say that there's no better place to have a Wedding, or any other event. I look forward to having lots of holidays at this hotel. Many thanks to all the staff for making it such a memorable event for us all. Mr and Mrs Causey . Ruffiac , France.

Room Tip: the rooms are all lovely, but it's nice to have one with a sea view
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank karen c
First of all our Best Wishes and Congratulations to the Happy Couple, Samantha and Jerome.
Thank you for your kind words which are so appreciated by all the team and Nicky.
It is a special team here at St George's and we are so pleased we gave you all a special day to remember.
Thank you for reviewing.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

My husband and myself stayed in this well respected 4* hotel for one night last week. We have been in there a few times before for a drink etc. and liked the look of it. Although we thought £135 per night was expensive we decided to opt for a sea view room. We were very happy with the room itself, and all areas of the hotel were nicely furnished and spotlessly clean.
We had been out with friends for lunch so, in the evening ordered a snack. The service was very good. Helpful and well trained staff who were friendly and attentive. We were a little disappointed with the food. I had an Oriental duck wrap which had more wrap than duck. Everything else was good and we slept soundly.
When we went for breakfast next morning we were expecting the best, and there was plenty of choice. The cooked breakfast was served by a waitress from a warming trolley and we could choose what we had. Unfortunately when we sat down to eat it we found that it was almost cold, so, it seems they have a problem with the arrangements. Very disappointing.
When we checked out we found that a ' donation ' had been added to our bill for a local hospice. That was not a problem, but, adding it without asking first is. We found this very presumptuous of them to assume that they could do this. Of course it is not the fact that we were giving to a local charity, but the principle of good manners. It may sound a small thing but how many visitors leave without knowing that they have donated.
Apart from these small grumbles it was very nice. Would we stay again at the hefty price, I don't think so, unless they improve the food side of the service.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Well thank you for reviewing and for your kind words which are most appreciated by the team.
We do note your points regarding the wrap and breakfast and do genuinely regret any point which detracted form your overall enjoyment.
As for the charity donation at reception and in the room information it is advised that this fundraising is happening, and of course if guests prefer not to donate then this is understood, I appreciate your point and will look at ensuring guests are better informed to make their decision.
We hope you will consider returning to St George's and if so please contact me directly, so I may ensure you find the best of St George's.
Cannock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I was booked into this hotel for a convention and did not know what to expect. It was a pleasant surprise on arrival to find that this was one of the best hotels in the resort. It is ideally located for access to the old tourist end of town and the pier, being located toward the southern end of the promenade.
Arriving early meant we could park on the small guest car park at the rear of the hotel (although you have to walk back around to access the hotel) I only went to get a parking permit but was pleasantly surprised to be given my keys and informed that the room was ready (at 10am) which was a real bonus after a long drive and with work ahead.
The room was quite spacious and the beds comfortable. I was sharing a twin room with a colleague and we were not tripping over each other (bathrobes as always were a welcome touch).
We were located in a room midway between 2nd and 3rd floors off the stairwell, which had windows to both sides (bright...but don't expect a view!), this had the bonus of being a quiet room (away from the lifts, but no good if you have mobility problems).
Breakfasts on Friday and Saturday were excellent (decent sausages!), however on Sunday there appeared to be a lack of staff. Arriving an hour before the end of breakfast service I was able to go up for my cooked breakfast...fine, but no one came to us to sort out coffee or toast as they had previously. After a number of attempts to attract the attention of the waiting staff I gave up, managing to cadge a half full coffee pot from another member of our party and find a clean cup from another table (I filled up on croissants)....not the end of the world I know, but at this price level I should expect a little more service....after all this is not Travelodge!
All in all a pleasant stay and should I come to Llandudno again it would be nice to stay here (I may even bring the wife!)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your detailed review and your kind comments especially as you would consider a return visit with your dear wife.
We do note though the point regarding the service on your last breakfast and regret the disappointment having had such excellent service on the previous mornings.
Thank you again for reviewing and we shall look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to St George's.