“Lovely location but not a relaxing or pleasant stay”
Review of St. George's Hotel

St. George's Hotel
Ranked #17 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely location but not a relaxing or pleasant stay”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We have been to Llandudno many times and have always looked at St Georges hotel and thought how nice it would be to stay there. We have been in for drinks in the past and the terrace bar and reception area look very grand.
We decided to treat my disabled Nan to a luxury one night stay in the hotel and wanted to give her an extra special treat of a luxury room.
Before booking I phoned to make sure they could assist with her scooter needs, her room access and shower access. We booked one king size luxury balcony room and a king size suite with balcony. We booked my Nan the suite as an extra special treat and also because on phoning they advised me there was an individual shower cubical in there with easy access.
We were very excited with the build up to our stay as we were paying an awful lot of money for 3 people to stay in two of the top rooms for one night, on arrival we checked in okay.
On entering my Nans suite I was so upset, there was dust everywhere, there was a huge what looked like red wine stain on the floor the length of the wardrobe, the bathroom floor was covered in different hairs obviously left from previous guests and to my disbelief....there were two really awkward steps up onto the balcony...this had not been mentioned when I phoned before booking.
On checking out kingsize room, we had pretty much the same issues and our bathroom floor was disguisting and also hairs in the bedding which I feel is totally un acceptable. I have stayed in many luxury hotels and for this price and room quality I would never expect them to be in these states....especially for them both to be, it is obviously the general cleaning standards.
We decided to go out and informed reception on the way out, they informed a manager and we showed him the issues in both rooms.
I am sorry this review is so long but I am in disbelief and so upset about our stay as it is unacceptable and we were so looking forward to it.
On returning to the hotel, they had taken the cushions with stains away, had a dust around, changed our bedding but had not cleaned either floor....or even apologised further or made us feel appreciated as a paying guest, usually the hotel will want to make you feel special, relaxed and want to return. We felt like they get enough bookings, maybe from people who don't stay other places, who don't like to complain so they didn't feel they needed to make us feel special.
I phoned reception and on returning again in the evening the bathroom floors had clearly been wiped, still nothing further was said or anything given to make up for that.
So for a one night stay that was how we spent it. I must say the location and porters were excellent but the cleanliness is a basic requirement and it wasn't just one room or a minor issue. The curtains and net curtains in the rooms all have marks on them and I don't know when they will remove the old large wine stains but when you walk in to the top rooms you want to say "WOW" and tell everyone about it. Not think what am I doing here and feel that they don't care, don't go out of their way for paying guests and didn't even give anything as a little gesture to apologise. I do hope the staff have been spoken to as if other rooms are like that, it is a lazy cleaner and not acceptable.
My Nan enjoyed the stay but wasn't able to enjoy the balcony which we paid for the suite as a treat for her and she wasn't made to feel special there like I really wanted for her.

Room Tip: Just order a basic double sea room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank westwood30
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
I have contacted you directly regarding your stay and as stated regret any disappointment however as users of TA can see by our page and history, cleanliness and good housekeeping is the highest priority at St George's and we have an excellent, hardworking housekeeping team and any issues with rooms will be rectified. Your concerns were dealt with and as I understand you enjoyed your stay. As mentioned I shall contact you directly and hopefully will look forward to you returning to St George's once again.
Director and Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Book this hotel without a doubt!, rooms spotless, staff friendly, location right on promenade and close to lots of restaurants and shops. The only thing stopping me giving 5 on this was the breakfast, I went up to look at the buffet but swiftly changed my mind to eggs benedict off the menu which I usually get anyway and it was lovely. The only other thing was the toast smelt strange, tasted ok but hubby also commented on this, don't know what it was but it wouldn't stop me from booking here again. Llandudno is lovely with lots to do, wish we had skipped Aberystwyth and went straight to Llandudno for 2 nights!!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank CAZA78
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
A great review thank you, and as you say there is no doubt, St George's is the hotel to stay in. We note your comment on our hot buffet, a service provided only at the busiest of times to facilitate good service and having just invested in the best display, we have no doubt this is best for our guests, as they also have the option of plated service if they so wish, including the famous Eggs Benedict, Smoked Haddock or Traditional Kippers.
We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back once again to St George's.
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights and were most impressed with all the hotel had to offer. From a very pleasant check in, to our room which although a little small had all we needed and then we opened the door into the bathroom which was the largest, best equipped and cleanest I have encountered in my many years of travelling the globe!
The elegant restaurant was a perfect setting for breakfast which served my favourite Eggs Benedict exactly as I like it and my wife revelled in her Scotch Salmon and scrambled eggs.
The staff were most efficient and professional in their approach which made one feel confident in their running of this lovely sea front hotel. The purpose of our stay was to visit friends we had not seen for many years after a chance meeting in Yorkshire and our short but most pleasant stay at The St George's made this Welshman feel a genuine sense of pride and that occasion even more special.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel are larger and brighter.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
A lovely review thank you and we are so pleased we made the occasion that bit more special for both of you.
We hope when next returning to Llandudno do contact reservations direct and they will be happy to offer the best rooms available at the best rates. As for larger rooms there is a wide choice either with sea or town views.
We can only look forward to welcoming you back soon to Llandudno and St George's.
Best wishes
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I didn't actually stay at the hotel but I have eaten there for four nights. The first thing you realise when you enter is the quality and atmosphere, it's like entering times gone by. I sat overlooking the sea on the enclosed terrace which is perfect. Food was great, staff attentive and helpful. It suited me perfectly. Then we come to the 'almost!' The last night I went in, there was a wedding on and I can now see what people mean who criticise the hotel when this occurs. If I had been staying there I should have been very displeased. The hotel was taken over by the wedding guests who felt they had a right to do whatever they liked, everyone else was deposed it seemed. Loads of noise from the disco which was right next door. Boom boom boom was all you could hear and the poor pianist was persevering in the main area. I felt so sorry for him. This needs to be addressed. I know hotels have to make money how they can. But this was most unsatisfactory!! I was considering a stay but I wouldn't now.

Room Tip: See above!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for reviewing and clearly you kindly reviewed us highly, but sadly the last night and the wedding party did detract from your overall experience.
Weddings are taken, though usually held in our other function rooms away from the lounges, we regret this did impact on your enjoyment the room does have it's own dedicated bar, however as a majority of guests were also residents the lounge bar was used as well. This being a public site we would only ask you to consider how few reviews indicate there are any issues with events and we do manage the arrangements to minimize disturbance to our guests.
You clearly visit Llandudno regularly so may I ask that you contact me next time when considering a visit so I may assist in arrangements to ensure there is only the best of St George's for you to experience.
With kind regards
Shropshire
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at St George's for a week. We have been for the previous two years.

We have always found everything about the hotel all we could wish for and standards were fully maintained this year. I am in a wheel chair and with particular dietary requirements. The staff were extremely helpful with nothing too much trouble. The food was delicious with my needs completely catered for. The weather was kind. What more could anyone wish for?

All-in-all the best and most enjoyable hotel we have stayed in.

1 Thank davidf66
Thank you for taking the time to review and especially for your kind words. Coming on holiday understandably can be a concern when there is the need to consider access and special requirements so to have you say, we eased these and made you feel welcome and relaxed is wonderful and we are so pleased that this was such a special break for you both.
Hope to see you back soon at St George's
Kind regards and Best Wishes
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

From the moment you arrive you are made to feel special. The staff at this hotel have been trained well. Nothing is to much trouble. The hotel oozes luxury and class other hotels could learn a lot from these people. The rooms were great, the meals were great both breakfast and dinner.
All in All I wished we had booked four nights instead of two. This was a Secret Escapes visit and we shall be looking for future offers. It is right on the sea front, I did have fears about parking but there was no problem. Breakfast is buffet style but you are served by staff and you can enjoy as much or little as you like. Great value, Great staff and a Great hotel.

Room Tip: If possible ask for a sea view
2 Thank Graham R
Such a great review with such kind words which only encourage and are so appreciated by the whole team here at St George's.
As for looking for future offers the best way is keep checking our website and we will mail you offers as they come or even more simply just call our reservations and they will offer you best rates for the best rooms.
With our Best Wishes
Tideswell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We recently stayed for two nights mid week we went in need of a rest and gladly paid the £178 per night for dinner bed and breakfast. The first disappointment was the room, small and dingy our view was overlooking another hotel. The room was not clean the dust on the skirting boards had been there for some time. I think the room maids are overworked and not given enough time.I feel the main aim of this hotel is the profit margin and this overrules the customer satisfaction. Breakfast was good, plentiful and a lot of choice. All the waiting on staff both at breakfast and dinner were a pleasure. For the evening meal we were offered a -special summer offer menu - not the main menu I don't l,like to be made to feel like a second class citizen especially not having paid these prices. We will not be returning the stay left a bitter taste.

Room Tip: I would recommend a sea view but heaven knows how much they charge for these!!!
1 Thank Linda E
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Unfortunately I have no details of your stay or any of the issues you have raised on this site, as our service standard is so much higher than what you have detailed I would wish to investigate the matter and have contacted you as such directly.
I hope you will respond, so I may deal with this more appropriately, than may be through this medium.