“All frills & no knickers!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of St. George's Hotel

St. George's Hotel
Ranked #15 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Chester, England, United Kingdom
“All frills & no knickers!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This overnight stay which was a gift for my parents and unfortunately it started off rather disappointingly. We had booked 2 rooms, both the same rate through booking,com and it wasn't cheap at £165 per night. The first room we were given 307, which was allocated to my parents was no bigger than a postage stamp and to be honest I'd have still been disappointed even if we had only paid £100 per night. The second room 406 was better, although you are situated up in the eaves of the hotel
I understand it is height of season for Llandudno, but how can 2 rooms booked together for the same rate be sooooo different in size! Unfortunately the biggest disappointment for me and the reason I have marked this hotel down was how the reception staff dealt with the issue. They are on the face of it, friendly on arrival, smiley and accommodating, however once we expressed disappointment in our room, you see a whole different side don't you. I do understand they were busy however, its really not acceptable to transfer an already disappointed customer to a manager without announcing the call & explaining the issue and then proceeding to be off with that same customer when they next arrive at the reception desk is does not help to curtail the issue. The situation was resolved by reservations and we did fortunately end up with 2 similar sized rooms, although I must say it was mostly salvaged by the kindness of Tony the porter who carried our luggage between rooms and helped to pacify us sufficiently to stop us walking out.
Both he and Tony Forest the breakfast waiter provided to us what I can only describe as good old fashioned customer service. Both of these guys could not do enough for us and I'm pleased to say cancelled out the rather upsetting start.
The food at the hotel is excellent, we ate in the lounge bar in the evening and the breakfast was of the same standard the following morning.
All round a good hotel, the rooms are not as impressive as the outside, well the 3 we saw anyway! I would like to hope that we were just unlucky and that the service level on reception is as good as the rest of the staff when they are not as busy as they were this weekend!

Room Tip: Do not accept room 307!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Paula G
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Ok it is good to read finally you had a stay which you enjoyed and found the food excellent. As for the handling initially of your disappointment by reception I do note and regret and will highlight at our next meeting, however as a team I believe it is when there is a problem, how we then respond and I am pleased to say Reservations and our Porters came through. The 2 Tony's will make it well known to me how they have been ''mentioned in dispatches'' I hope you will decide to return again and if so contact our Reservations first.... I appreciate the use of booking sites, but there is no greater peace of mind, then talking to Reservations and confirming the room type and size and achieving the best rate.
Please ask for me when next visiting so I may personally welcoming you back to the best of St George's.
With kind regards
Director and Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed here from7th july to10th july 2014
This hotel is excellent one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in nothing was to much trouble for the staff in this hotel . I arrived at 1 0pm and eent to reception to book in I left my bag there when I parked my car at the rear of the hotel which is free of charge. When I returned to reception my bag had been taken to my room wich is first class service. M y room over looked the side road and was first class if which to pay extra you would have magnificent sea views from the front of the hotel. the hotel is in a perfect spot right in the centre of town with bus stops to all parts of Wales just around the corner. On the first night I forgot to order a newspaper so I rang quite late at 11 pm no trouble the paper was delivered every morning at 7 30am
I asked for a bucket of ice for my room every night before going to my room it was deliver every time before i got to room Breakfast is first class with waiter serving the buffet on to your plate you can have porridge and other items on request, I must mention the twins who were serving breakfast I did not realise there were two of them until I saw them together they were charming.
On my final day because of my booking I had to change rooms so I left my bag and stuff in the room so when I came back after the cricket all of my stuff had been moved to my new room.
I checked out the next day and all of my orders were on one bill excellent I had sandwiches in my room one night quickly delivered and they were first class
I would certainly stay here again and anyone who stays here would not be disappionted

Room Tip: Front room for the sea view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
HOWZAT !!!
A great review and what is so good to read, is your feeling you had received special service from a hard working, sensitive team, which we are very proud off.
Thank you for your kind words and do hope we will see you back at St George's for another innings.
Kind regards
Kent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Booked this hotel with secret escapes for a 3 night break in wales. On arrival we asked to upgrade and were fortunate to be offered the best room in the hotel. Not room a suite with a balcony overlooking the sea and at a reduced rate too! Pity it was only available for 2 nights but the staff were more than happy to move our luggage to another room for the final night. Service from all at st George's was first class. Breakfast was great too. I would happily return.

• Stayed July 2014
      Cleanliness
3 Thank red_debs1
A lovely review and so pleased the result of your visit is a wish to return. But before your next visit do contact Jordan our Reservations Manager, and she will offer you the best rate for the best room available...it really is worth it in the end, and that's no Secret.
All our best wishes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We were lucky enough to be taken to see Tom Jones on Friday 25th July and our dear friend booked us into St George's. We had both been to Llandudno with our jobs in the past, but never seen any of it apart from a car park and a desk!
On arrival we were greeted and treated as if we stayed every week and the car park at the back was a bonus.
We had a sea view and the room and ensuite were beautiful.
After we returned from the concert we ordered room service coffee,tea and a sandwich and the night manager was brilliant. He was checking people in, taking orders, preparing, making and delivering everything with such a smile and a great attitude, a real credit to the hotel.

We had breakfast in the morning and again the service was unbelievable, proper waiting staff who were so helpful and friendly. This has to be the best service in Llandudno!

One negative point as I notice other reviewers have commented on, this seems to be the place for a wedding and I can see why. However when we checked in there were guests sitting on the red carpeted steps smoking with little ones on their laps. Now that is down to the individuals and not the hotel, but I would suggest a smoking ashtray away from the steps to prevent that and prevent the smoke drifting into reception.

We had no noise or issues with the wedding party and apart from checking in you wouldn't know there was a wedding in the hotel.

We will definitely return to Llandudno and we will stay here.

Great staff.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Phil B
Thank you for reviewing and your kind words, which all the team appreciate. Have to say went to the Tom Jones Concert myself and it was great and so good for the area, even better to know more events will follow. As for weddings we do note your point on smoking by the front steps, which is a non smoking area and smoking shelters being turned down by local planning doesn't help. There are considerate and inconsiderate people in this world and we do try to keep the area clear. What is heartening is you were not disturbed by the wedding and had such an enjoyable stay. Even better you will look to return on visiting Llandudno again.
With kind regards
Lancashire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Had a four night break over last weekend (25-29 July) at this very well managed hotel. Delightful surroundings in the public rooms as well as a pleasant (premier twin) room. All the staff we met (whatever their role) were very professional as well as being helpful and friendly. We ate breakfast and dinner in the hotel; the menus were varied and the food delicious and well presented. This is one of the best hotels I have stayed in for some time and hope to stay again some time in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jay267
Such a lovely review and such encouraging words for us all at St George's.
It is really appreciated and means a lot for all the team, so thank you and we hope it won't be too long before we can welcome you back to look after you again.
With all best wishes
Director and Manager.
buckley uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had often passed through Llandudno and wondered what it would be like to stay in the St Georges . So we booked for my wife's 57 bithday as we where going to see Tom Jones in colwyn Bay on 25 July .check in was no trouble butI have never been asked to pay full amount on check in before . our room 321 was very clean and tidy. the sea view excellent. Bathroom spotless all though tiles could have done with some workon them . Food very good .but I found it rather expensive to stay here compared to other hotels we have stayed at .but on the hole aiovely place to stay. But they need to sort out the parking

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank phillip e
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Firstly our best wishes to your wife on her birthday and thank you for your kind words on our rooms and friendly team. As for check in you were not asked for payment but only for your card to be swiped to allow you to charge items to your room account, this is quite standard practice in the industry, though do regret you misunderstood the practice. Parking is difficult in Llandudno and we do our try to manage the parking as best as possible. So would recommend always when arriving at the hotel, just come to reception and they will advise, along with our concierge and porters who will assist with luggage and parking.
We hope you will return and to get the best offers look on our website or simply call our Reservations who will offer the very best rate for the best room available.
Once more Happy Birthday and Best Wishes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed for two nights in a sea view room on the second floor.The food in the veranda dining room for lunch on day of arrival was good, although the fish and chips I had was small and cost £12.95.
The room was lovely with water supplied (still and sparkling) each day in addition to the usual tea and coffee, it was very clean and air conditioned, which we did need during our stay as it co-incided with the recent hot weather. The staff were friendly, polite and helpful, breakfast being a buffet style affair. We didn't eat in either night so can't comment on the food on this occasion.

Room Tip: Sea view ones are slightly more expensive, but worth it
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Michael W
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for reviewing and so pleased you enjoyed your stay. Yes I must say our air conditioned rooms certainly come into their own in this hot weather. So hope we will be welcoming you back soon to St George's.
Kind regards