“Lovely Hotel”

Ranked #16 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel”
Reviewed 8 June 2009

My husband and I spent one night at this hotel and I now wish we had booked for a couple of nights. We booked initially for just a 'breather' break and as we both love Wales we thought we would stay at Llandudno. We have spent a few happy relaxing short breaks at this resort but never at St Georges. At first I was disappointed at the size of the room, but it was my own fault as I booked with Booking.Com instead of ringing the hotel direct. Had I rang and booked direct then maybe we would have had a room on the second floor, but saying that, the room was clean, comfortable and we still had a sea view room, albeit that I had to stand on tip toe to see out (but then I am a very short person!!) As the weather was typically June rainy season, and it did bucket down all day on the saturday, we decided not to venture far and stayed in the hotel where we enjoyed a lovely afternoon drinking coffee (with a delightful shortbread biscuit) and people watching sitting by the veranda window also watching people being blown sideways in the wind! We also decided to stay in for the evening meal at the hotel. We were not disappointed, the meal was superb. We are both boardering on being 'foodies' and the choices of starters and mains on the menu made it difficult to decide what to have. I had the Carpaccio of Welsh black beef for starters and of course I had to have the Roast Welsh Lamb for main course. The sweet selection was also difficult to choose from and I ended up having the trio of Creme Brulee which was out of this world. All I can say is the chefs done us proud. There was a wedding on the Saturday we arrived but I did not find this encrouched on our stay at all. Thre breakfast in the morning was just as perfect and I can honestly say I could not find one faultwith the hotel, food or staff. The staff obviously work long hours, as we saw some of the same staff that served us on the previous evening, but they were still polite, smiling and there to make the guests feel welcome. Needless to say, we will go back again and I am looking forward to it very much. Thanks St Georges for making our stay with you comfortable and relaxing, which is just why we came away in the first place.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gill
georgesLlandudno, manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2009
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review your kind comments are so much appreciated by the team who work hard to offer a warm welcome and enjoyable stay.
We hope you will return to St Georges and would strongly recommend you view our website for best deals and as you would be returning consider joining our loyalty club which keeps you in touch with special offers and benefits.
Look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
llandudno
Reviewed 19 May 2009

Just to start with i didnt stay in this hotel so i wont comment on the rooms, i went here for a wedding in late october. I think the bride and groom paid £50 per head, the meal was a lovely soup to start with but then it all went wrong, steak was the main with mine and most of my table drippin with blood, quite obvious the veg was frozen and not fresh like ud expect for that price, the yorkshire pudding which looked amazing was frozen aswel! very dissapointed. The bar in this place is a total ripp off, i think the cheapest pint of lager was £3.40, hwo can they charge this!! all in all i wont be booking my wedding day here!

• Stayed October 2008
1 Thank mark6584
georgesLlandudno, management at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2009
We are some what saddened at this review concerning a wedding that was well over 6 months ago.
Further strange to see this was your first ever review placed on tripadvisor.
We do regret you are left with a poor impression of St Georges however your review does not concur with the wonderful comments received from the bride and groom of their "wonderful day". I would hasten to add the cost was no where near your inflated guess as can be seen by visiting our website.
Thank you for your kind comment on the soup and as for the steak it actually was roast beef served pink, vegetables are seasonal and always fresh as is the yorkshire pudding. Our bar prices are set at the market level for the standard and quality of business we operate in and provide the service for. I regret you are not familiar with such prices and St Georges will not be the venue of choice for your special day
Clitheroe
Reviewed 19 April 2009

We booked an executive room with front sea view, for one night, at short notice, and were very pleased. The room was large and well-equipped. The bathroom was small but adequate, and looked newly-renovated. The view was indeed stunning.
We had booked an evening meal in the Terrace Restaurant, and the food was both imaginative and well-prepared. Despite a wedding reception being held at the same time, the service to us and other guests was unimpaired, and the staff were cheerful and efficient.
Breakfast was buffet-style, and served in the lovely Edwardian dining room, which had been used for the wedding the previous evening. Once again the food was very good with plenty of choice.
Parking for this hotel is rather tight, as it seems to be throughout Llandudno, but we were given a permit to use one of the few spaces at the rear. We noticed that this hotel provides good access for the disabled visitor with wheelchair lifts to all levels.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this elegant and well-run establishment, and would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Molecatcher
georgesLlandudno, management at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2009
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and we all appreciate your kind comments.
We do hope you will return soon to StGeorges
and if so please look at our website and our loyalty membership for best value.
Worcestershire
Reviewed 30 March 2009

We're often looking for a place to 'runaway' to for a cheeky weekend away and I think we've found a new favourite.
There is nothing I can fault about the St George - the welcome was warm and the service was friendly. We had a great lunch on arrival on Saturday and the staff were knowledgable and enthusiatic about the menu. Dinner was a real treat - better food then we've had in top rated restaurants in London. Beautifully presented and melt in the mouth combinations.
Our room was gorgeous - huge bed, crisp linen, separate lounge and balcony overlooking the bay.
We went out for the day on Sunday and on our return the room had been serviced immaculately [and I am very fussy about the cleanliness of my bathroom !!!]
I've used Trip Advisor on many many occasions for other peoples opinions and reviews prior to making a booking but this the first time I've felt confident enough to pass on my own opinions of what is truely a great hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JanieLF
georgesLlandudno, management at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2009
Thank you for placing a review your kind comments are much appreciated and passed on to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to StGeorges and suggest you sign up for our loyalty membership.
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2009

Just returned from a 4 night stay in this hotel and it really is worth spending that little extra of your hard earned cash for some 4 star luxury.
The staff, starting with Fiona in reservations and the young ladies on the front desk along with the restuarant staff could not be faulted and all of them had a smile which isnt that common in other hotels.
Also why not do as I did and go for the Executive Suite which really made for a fantastic stay.
The location is excellent and this must be the best hotel in LLandudno, if there is a better one then please let me know.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Dave52
Central UK
Reviewed 16 February 2009

Having now stayed at a selection of Llandudno hotels & guest houses I always like to try a new one! I always fancied a weekend here so hubby & I stayed recently for our wedding anniversary.
On arrival we were met by a pleasant young lady called Sam on reception who was very helpful, especially as we arrived quite late in the evening whilst a busy function was ongoing in the Wedgwood Room .Sam was most helpful, telephoning to check that we were in time to eat in the Terrace bar and assisting us with parking.
Once checked in we found that our rooms were more than adequate, large bedroom with everything we needed, seperate sitting room (which in the end we never used at all!) and nice clean large bathroom with seperate bath & shower.
We ate from the bar menu on this first evening, good food was served quickly by nice friendly helpful staff, we had expected a wait due to the large function but it didnt interfere with us in anyway at all.
We had morning papers delivered promptly and found an iron and ironing board tucked neatly away in a wardrobe, tea tray (took a bit of finding!) in a cupboard and a fridge in case you needed one. I cant fault the rooms or the standards here. We had a 3rd floor front facing room.
Breakfast the first morning was in the terraced bar area overlooking the sea front, served in person with friendly smiles, nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast the second morning was buffet style in the large function room, not quite as pleasing as the sea view but good for people watching! We had plenty to eat, hubby was pleased with his breakfast and more of anything was fetched quickly and pleasantly by the staff.
The shops were within minutes of walking from the hotel.
We really rather enjoyed ourselves here!!
The only blip was that we were overcharged nearly £60 on our bill for somebody elses meals and drinks.....we didnt notice until after the bill had been paid but as we checked the invoice in the hotel foyer we were able to point this out to the receptionist straight away, it took her a few minutes to check her paperwork and then refund our card with the food amount, we also pointed out the drinks bill and then that too was refunded. We never put anything on our room account, preferring to pay as we go along...the only exception being two daily papers! The refund was done quite professionally and she did confirm an error had been made, this was the only blot on an otherwise perfect weekend and I would have given a full rating other than for this point.
All in all a very pleasing hotel and I would stay again.

Stayed February 2009
4 Thank lovethesoundofthesea
London
Reviewed 26 January 2009

This was to be a short mid-Winter Break in a hotel we did not know - bit risky? Well the weather was absolutely wonderful and our sea front rooms at St George's Hotel looked out over the magical bay of Llandudno bathed in winter sunshine. The rooms were excellent in most respects - especially the bathroom; we probably were the first to stay in them since a very good refurbishment - and the hotel warm and welcoming. Breakfast - with personal rather than self-service - was really great, served in the sea view dining room. Even though it was busy we were served immediately and replenishment volunteered. Very sorry to leave - both the hotel and Llandudno!

• Liked — Warmth and efficiency of hotel
  • Disliked — Slightly slow though very friendly reception
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank DWHughes
stgeorges2, management at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2009
Thank you for taking the time to leave such kind comments.
It is always so appreciated to receive such a response and your comment on likely being the first to stay in our refurbished rooms was very encouraging as in actual fact the refurbishment happened nearly 3 years ago but our constant maintenance and the highest housekeeping standards have maintained this new look.
We were delighted to read you were so struck by the beauty and charm of Llandudno and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.