“Wonderful Week-end at St. George's Hotel”
Review of St. George's Hotel

St. George's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 24 November 2009

My wife and I were not sure whether to stay at Chester or Llandudno on our week-end visit to relatives in both Chester and Llandudno. We are so pleased that we chose St George's for our 3 night stay (Fri-Tues), what a wonderful hotel, we were made to feel at home from the moment we entered the hotel reception to our checking out on Tuesday. The staff were so helpful, polite and friendly to us and and to all the visitors, the hotel staff were extremely busy with a large wedding on both Saturday and Sunday, but the staff were always on hand to deal with any queries very efficiently and always in a friendly manner.

The room was perfect for us, very comfortable, the bathroom was full of the necessities that we required. There was plenty of tea, coffee and biscuits. The only problem that we had was a bulb not working in a bedside lamp, but within 5 minutes of reporting the fault, a member of staff appeared with a replacement. Breakfast was everything that we wished for, there was a huge range on offer, all the food was fresh and tasty, there was also plenty of fresh juices. We also had Sunday Lunch which we would recommend, very good. We will definitely be back, in fact I doubt if we would even consider another hotel, just to say we are no strangers to Llandudno, my wife spent most of her early life there, and we have both returned to visit many times, usually staying at the Gogarth Abbey. Thank you to all the staff at St George's for a 5 star welcome.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GeorgeKingsLynn
georgesLlandudno, management at St. George's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2009

Thank you for taking the time to review and such nice comments as well, it is always appreciated to get such feedback and we are so pleased you enjoyed the stay.
We hope when you return you will consider oue ever popular loyalty scheme which provides such benefits and special offers for our returning guests.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,476)

Reviewed 22 November 2009

St Georges Hotel Llandudno.

We booked 2 rooms at the St Georges, on the 8th and 9th of November. One being a double,(for 1 person) the other an executive room,(for 2 people). The Executive room was so small we had to move furniture to watch the TV and move it out of the way to get in the bathroom, or move about the room.
When we booked in the receptionist did not ask if we required a morning paper, or morning tea. However, the worst feature of this stay was undoubtedly the dinner on the Sunday. We were on the break that included dinner and a bottle of wine per room. We arrived for dinner early and sat in the bar for pre dinner drinks, after twice asking for someone to serve us, we were told to go into the table in the restaurant, so no pre-dinner drinks. After 25mins, and again asking two waiters, someone took our drinks order, and after 35mins our drinks arrived. My wine glass was smeared with lipstick and I returned it. After ordering dinner, the service was chaotic, and very casual. When the teas and coffees arrived, there was a dirty cup.
As the hotel has no real lounge, that we could find, other than a couple of sofas at reception. Therefore, we had to stay in our rooms, neither of which was large enough to take 3 people. This is an expensive hotel, the service is inconsistent, and at times poor, and the rooms, although very clean are small. By the way they also charge extra for credit card payments. As there is a huge choice in Llandudno, this hotel needs to be weighed against that choice, and the cost.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank moscovy
georgesLlandudno, management at St. George's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2009

With this review we feel it is only appropriate to respond that a senior manager did speak with you during your stay and understand the following nights dinner and stay was 'excellent,' the Sunday dinner was refunded as a gesture of goodwill and following your departure a letter from the manager which you will have received apologised but thanked you for your kind comments on 'good comfort and excellent cleanliness of your rooms', 'good service at breakfast' and 'good food quality and presentation'
The letter closed with an invitation to return hoping we would be able to fully restore your confidence in St Georges even more so as you had stayed previously and so much enjoyed your visit.

Reviewed 21 November 2009

Although it is some time since we stayed here, [and I joined this site after our visit - hence no review at the time] while looking now for somewhere to stay in Llandudno, I wondered if things had improved since, so checked the reviews. I was interested to read a very recent review which stated, among other things that the management don't like complaints. To which the manager replied to the effect that, of course they don't like them, but that they take complaints seriously.
But I know just what the reviewer meant. That was our experience too.
There were many things wrong, and when I complained, everyone became very defensive with the continual cry of "no-one else has ever complained before".......
From the rude, brusque staff at reception [your room's not ready and the car park is full]; lack of hot water in bathroom; surly waiting staff in restaurant to the appalling food at dinner ...... I could go on.....it was not a good experience, despite the expensive recent [at the time] refurbishment.
Thankfully, we had a good a good rate on laterooms.com [and I left a very negative review there at the time] otherwise I would have been even more angry.
And I did not take up the offer of a free night which we had in a letter from the manager after our return home. It really was that bad!
Have things improved at all I wonder?????

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Llangatwg
georgesLlandudno, Management at St. George's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2009

We genuinely regret any disappointment caused and as stated did write to offer a return, your stay was nearly 2 years ago we can only ask you to look at the extremly high percentage of excellent reviews on this site since then to gauge how St Georges has developed and improved. We are a very busy and successful hotel, success based on good service I hope you may reconsider

Reviewed 16 November 2009

I am no stranger to Llandudno, have been visiting the area now for well over forty years.

This was the first time however that we decided to stay at the St George, mainly based on the most consistent and excellent reviews on this site, backed up l may add by the responses from management which l thought a lovely touch.

We had booked a three night break for my birthday weekend.

We duly arrived on Friday morning and were greeted by two very friendly and efficient receptionists.
Although it was only 11.30am l was delighted to be informed that our room was ready.
A classic sea facing double room ....122.

We were duly asked if we needed any assistance with luggage etc and given a permit to park the car in their car park which was situated at the back of the hotel. Very small parking area, but this is typical of all hotels in the town and we were lucky enough to find a space.

I had requested a low floor room which we got and upon re-entering the hotel with our luggage a most delightful young man whisked our cases up the stairs to our room.

Upon entering the room l was immediately taken aback as to how small it was, and l mean small! The bathroom was tiny and the whole atmosphere was claustrophobic.
I knew right away that there was no way l could spend three nights here and my husband agreed, having already commented that one could not swing the proverbial cat!
This room was not what l would expect of a four star hotel, even as a single room which is really what it was.

I promptly returned to reception and it was at this point l realised that team St George do not like complaints.
I politely stated that this room was not what l had expected and asked if there was a larger room available.

Receptionist one brought in receptionist two telling her that 'this lady is not happy with the room and wants to be upgraded'......at which point l stated that 'this lady' was asking for a larger room and was more than willing to pay for it.

I was told that there was a suite available for the Friday night, but we would have to move back to our original room for the rest of the weekend.
To be quite honest l was very upset and the two receptionists could clearly see this.
All l got was a shrug of shoulder and a limp apology.
This was supposedly four star service...and beginning to become stressful.

DH and l decided to check out The Imperial Hotel, where we had stayed before and were delighted to find that we could be accommodated in one of their executive rooms for the Saturday and Sunday night.

We duly returned to the St George and cancelled the two nights. If we had cancelled the Friday night we would have been charged, which l fully understood and had no problem with, although we did 'upgrade' to the suite at a £20 supplement which in all fairness was well worth it and the room (117) was very acceptable size wise.

We had a seperate lounge area with TV, coffee table, sofa and chairs. The bedroom was lovely with a huge bed, another TV and a nice seaview balcony.

The TV, together with various lights however were not working in this room, but by this time l had got to the point of just putting up with and getting on with it.

Our daughter was due to join us on Friday evening as she had booked for us to see Status Quo in concert that night as my birthday treat.
Have to mention here that she was staying just for the Friday night in room 101....a very nice room it was too....not overly big, but very nicely laid out and not as claustrophobic as the room we had originally been allocated.

Apart from breakfast we did not eat at this hotel. Breakfast on the Saturday morning was served in the Conwy Suite.
The room was dark and depressing with opaque windows. The breakfast however was excellent, as was the wait staff.

To sum up. I was really very disappointed with the St George. To a certain degree it almost ruined my birthday weekend.

When checking out the same receptionists were on duty.

I mentioned that l was disappointed, upon which receptionist one said to me.....''Sorry for any inconvenience caused'

Sorry team St George. It really was not good enough.

As a footnote here, l noticed a management response to the wheelchair ramp being now completed....November 5th?
As of this last weekend the wheelchair ramp was not completed. We actually saw folk struggling with cases, walkers and wheelchairs and the 'new ramp' was still cordoned off.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TEEMILL
georgesLlandudno, management at St. George's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2009

Thank you for reviewing and we really do regret any disappointment however having read your review all other aspects convey that it would have been a successful and enjoyable stay other than your expectations of room size.
Room 122 is a standard or classic room and I would confirm is the smallest of the seaview rooms however it is enhanced having a balcony with table and chairs offering a wonderful view of Llandudno Bay.
Clearly from your comments if there had been an alternative larger room we are confident you would have had an enjoyable stay. But we were pleased you were fortunate to find a hotel not as busy to accomodate you for the rest of your stay.
With reference to your remarks StGeorges 'don't like complaints- well in all honesty we don't, but we do take serious all comments made good or bad and strive to keep reviewing and improving our service and guest experience.
We hope you will reflect on the good aspects highlighted and consider returning to St Georges when we would ensure a warm welcome and comfortable stay.
Please note the new build front access is now complete hindered only by builder's delays.

Reviewed 14 November 2009

To be honest I was expecting the St Georges hotel to be a bit naf - I was very wrong. There aren't the chintz, funny smells and damp patches you would expect in an old sea front hotel in say, Blackpool or Skegness. It is very clean and up to date with a luxurious feel, not ultra-modern or old fashioned just very classy. The reception staff are excellent, they are very friendly and efficient.
Our room was warm and welcoming, the airconditioning made getting a comfortable temperature easy. The fixtures and fittings were nice, there were no scratches or scuffs and everything worked. The bathroom was very clean and finished in classic black and white. The only bad points are the shower was a bit weak and there wasn't much hot water available for a hot bath, it was still warm enough though.
The best part of the hotel is the food. The terrace lounge/bar is a nice place to relax, the bar prices are okay and the small menu is great for lunch or afternoon tea. The terrace restaurant is next to the lounge and offers the best food in town, maybe even North Wales! I have dined in some excellent and pretty famous restaurants, and I have to say, the main course of lamb with creamed vegetables and parsnip puree was so good it may well be the best dish I have ever eaten! Our starters and desserts were of the highest quality too, very imaginative and packed with flavour. The service in the restaurant was also excellent, the glassware and cutlery were beautiful as was the ding room itself. Our table was in the middle of the room but we both faced the sea, it was very well thought out. The price was very reasonable, I would happily pay twice as much and would have to if this restaurant was in a large city.
Overall our stay was very pleasant, the hotel surpassed our expectations on many levels and we will definatly be back.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AdamS_9

Really appreciate such a nice review and kind comments.
Even more so that we suprised you with your image of a Seaside resort hotel.
We try to keep improving and raising our standards and so pleased to know you may well return to us soon.

Reviewed 5 November 2009

From the moment we arrived, the staff of St George, Llandudno made us all feel at home. The high standard of decor and service we all received was second to none.
We stayed 2 nights bed breakfast and evening meal with a Gala Dinner Dance on the Saturday and out of 67 people who where in our group, not one person had anything to complain about...only fantastic comments.
The hotel is ideal for shopping or sight seeing or just relaxing in the newly refurbished rooms.
The professionalism of all the staff from the porter, receptionists to the Events and Reservation Co-ordinators was exceptional.
The choice and quality of the dinners and breakfasts was a credit to the chef and his staff.
The only complaint I had was that the weekend was over too quickly.

• Stayed: October 2009
6  Thank Corblime
georgesLlandudno, management at St. George's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2009

Thank you for a great review we do appreciate your kind comments and so pleased you all had such a good time, hope we see you all back soon.

Reviewed 4 November 2009

Booked the hotel for a weekend break with three sisters and my mother who is disabled.
We where told at time of booking that the outside ramp would be out of action due to re-furb. The minute we arrived at the hotel we where offered help in parking the car, help to get my Mum into the hotel and was met by a very professional desk receptionist.
The rooms are contemporary and well serviced, the food is excellent and all staff where helpful and polite. I have stayed at other 4* in Llandudno but certainally won't look to book anywhere else after staying here. If I could award a 5* to this hotel I would.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank cagsygirl
georgesLlandudno, management at St. George's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2009

Thank you for taking the time to review.
Regarding the ramp access this is now completed which is a quality entrance for all guests but especially those with mobility issues and a great asset for the hotel and guests alike.
We very much appreciate your kind comments regarding the quality service and professionalism of the team and even more pleased to read we will be welcoming you back soon.