“So much potential but such a let down...not a 4* experience”
Review of St. George's Hotel

St. George's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Omagh, United Kingdom
“So much potential but such a let down...not a 4* experience”
Reviewed 6 September 2010

Having read the majority of the other reviews I wonder if I stayed in the same place as the other reviewers. We stayed in the St. Georges on Fri 20 and Sat 21st August 2010. We were winding up a fantastic break in England with our 3 young children in Llandudno as it was near Holyhead for the boat home early on Sunday. I spent a long time researching 4 star accommodation for our holiday and was not disappointed at all until we reached Llandudno.
Upon arrival after 9pm on Friday night after driving up from Bath the first thing I noticed in the reception area was the smell (reminded me of boiling cabbage) the second thing I noticed was the grubby carpeting in the foyer. This did not resemble any of the other 4 star accommodation we had stayed in over the week. My overall impression was its just a bit shabby, needs a bit of work but it will be fine when we get settled in our room.
We were greeted and made very welcome by the reception staff, I was given the key to Room 216 and off we headed with 3 very tired little girls. Room 216 - where do I begin? When I booked our room the lady did tell me that it wasnt a family room (it is classed as a premier room) and didnt have a sea view. That was fine, however, I was not expecting the room that we got. We had 2 windows which both looked out onto the back of the hotel (never a pretty sight) but we couldnt even see the sky from our room unless you lay down on the sofa bed and craned you head back on to the window sill. The carpet was grubby in the internal hall and in front of the bed. (2 beds put together but it was lovely and comfortable on the plus side). I was cross that I was paying £157.25 a night for this (I had pre-paid, otherwise it would have been £185 a night) so I went down to reception and explained my problems with the room. The hotel was absolutely full so the only room I could be offered was room 116....directly below room 216, above the public toilets. I looked at it and even though the view was the same (no sky, walls and windows)it was cleaner. However, by the time I got my family, the travel cot etc moved down into Room 116 there was a smell...I'm assuming it was coming from the air-conditioning. We couldnt stay there, the staff said they couldnt smell anything but even my 2 year old asked me what that smell was. Back up to Room 216, as by this stage it was almost 10.15 and I needed to get the girls to bed.
In between all this the Restaurant Manager was brought in to 'calm' me down and he was a true gentleman, he explained that there were no other rooms that night, provided the girls with glasses of milk and we received a bottle of wine too.
We went to bed and we did sleep until the noise started above us at 6am...creaky floors, banging doors etc (I accept that the hotel can't do anything about loud guests). In the morning to my horror my 9 year old found 2 pieces of broken glass on the floor just at the side of their bed. I can only assume this glass had been under the sofa and was missed by housekeeping when making up our room. The 2 pieces of glass were big enough to cause deep cuts on an adults foot but especially a child's. I think the only thing that stopped them getting cut is the fact that the room was so small you had to carefully move around the furniture. This was the final straw for me, I was straight back down to reception with the glass, the receptionist was sympathetic and shocked. She assured me she would show it to the Head of Housekeeping. I wanted out of that room so badly I actually cried, it is being dramatic for me to say it ruined our holiday but it upset all of us. We had a wonderful break visiting Bath and Windsor but the last 2 days of our holiday may as well have been spent in a Boarding House not a 4 star hotel. It was very busy so there were no rooms, I looked into taking the boat home on Saturday but that was going to cost too much to change and it really wasnt fair on the children to bring them home a day early.
We decided to stay and we passed a pleasant day pottering around Llandudno, thank goodness the weather was lovely so we were able to stay out of Room 216.
To be fair there were some positive elements to the whole experience, the staff were very helpful (although I think the reception staff were a bit fed up with me checking if there were any cancellations on Saturday). On checkout I met another Manager who was very understanding about my reluctance to pay full price for our stay. In the end I received a refund of £100, I still paid £214.50 for 2 nights in possibly the worst 4* hotel I have ever stayed in. I work hard and was looking forward to finishing our holiday off in this popular seaside town, ripped off is probably too strong a phrase but I do feel it is impossible to justify £214.50 for that stay, let alone the original £314.50.
I can only base this review on what I saw, a hotel that has so much potential, but just needs to kick itself into the 21st Century. They are almost there with the staff who really were so kind to us (though ultimately they couldnt do anything), the hotel may have had a huge amount of money spent on it but that did not jump out at me, I didnt walk in and say Wow, this is lovely. I walked in and thought shabby, old fashioned and a little bit dreary. The room without a view with broken glass on the floor just finished it for me. Would I recommend the St Georges? No...not based on our experience.
The Manager has been in touch with me since I returned home and kindly offered us a 1 night's stay in a 'proper' room. However, this is no good to me...we've no plans for returning to that area. A miserable end to a lovely holiday!

4 Thank garallie3
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2010
We have been in contact through e mail with each other regarding your stay and you mentioned you would hold off reviewing until you had my final response which sadly did not match your expectations and have so reviewed accordingly.
Firstly I genuinely regret any disappointment resulting from your stay. You mentioned at the start regarding your research and the truly vast majority of reviewers offering glowing comments however also overlooked to highlight that your own family have stayed with only praise for the ''rooms and staff.''
As I have previously responded the room was clean and serviced but the piece of glass had been missed and this was unacceptable and again I do apologize.
Room 216 is a premier room larger than our standard rooms but on booking reservation had informed you it was not a large family room The hotel was full during your stay and larger alternative rooms were not available, again you were aware of this.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our wonderful staff it is only sad the consequences were so unfortunate, the adjusted account and gesture of goodwill regarding a return visit was totally appropriate for these circumstances.
Finallt St Georges is a traditional modern and well maintained hotel, I do hope you will reconsider and return and if so please contact me directly.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
Welshpool
Reviewed 30 August 2010

This was my first holiday since I became a tetraplegic following an accident in Brussels so naturally I was very apprehensive about the experience; but I need not have fretted.
On arrival the manager's son himself carried all luggage and equipment to my room. Next morning, as I am not able to manage steps and the Wedgwood suite where buffet brekkies are served have a few steps, he arranged a table for us all on the terrace where we were all waited on hand and foot. No menu was needed- one just asked for what one fancied- the Manx kippers were wunderbar!- and the request was fulfilled. Every single member of staff were polite and helpful.
Downside? The lift can barely contain a wheelchair- I had to yell once when I became stuck. Also I found that my cc had been charged for the whole week in advance and appeared on my cc statement the same day!! Nevertheless I can only heartily recommend St. Georges as the King of the Queen of Welsh resorts.
James Lee- Welshpool

2 Thank BarrymoreL
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2010
Thank you for this review more so as clearly the holiday was a milestone for you and the family. James our Concierge is here to provide a service which responds to the needs of our guests I am delighted you experienced this level of service and from all the team as well.
The lift has been newly upgraded to DDA standards, however the cabin size was unable to be increased though for wheelchairs and smaller scooters there are no issues. The larger motorised chairs such as yours it is a tighter squeeze but normally no real issues, there is a call button on the lift panel if there are difficulties or please just call us to assist and ensure your use of the lift is monitored and a response is immediate if you are in difficulties.
The credit card pre-authorisation on arrival is a standard hotel practice and it should have been explained I am sorry it wasn't but no payment is taken in advance only on departure. The pre authorisation is merely a security for the hotel in confirming the card is active and funds available.
If after this explaination you still feel this is not the case please contact me directly and I will happily investigate further.
Finally your kind comments have been much appreciated by all the team and we look forward hopefully to welcoming you back to St. George's.
St Helens
Reviewed 30 August 2010

The hotel is situated right on the seafront, its exterior is really well kept and very inviting. Our check in was quick, although we were given no information about breakfast. At first glance our room looked beautiful, we were on the 4th floor, so it had an almost loft like shape. However, once we began to start unpacking, we started noticing the problems. Immediately we noticed that one of the 2 radiators had no cover on it and we assumed it wasnt working as a small electric radiator had literally been plonked in front of it. When we moved the voile curtains back to have a look at our view, there was a large bottle of water there, obviously left from the previous guest, and the inside of both the windows were covered in really dirty marks.
The majority of the furniture in the room was glass, and every single piece of it was covered in a thick film of dust. The bathroom floor was dirty, there was bright pink lipstick on the wall, and blonde hairs on our face towel (we are both dark haired). The most disturbing aspect of the room was the bed. Firstly, the two large cushions on the front were really stained, but the most worrying thing in the whole room was the headboard - it was a dark wood, but clearly covered in white sticky stains, there were handprints of it, and large patches and it obviously felt really, really dirty to the point where I didnt want to sleep in the bed.
On going down to dinner (which was included in our rate on the first night) I explained to reception what the problems were, rather disinterested she suggested I speak to a manager, which I did, and I was actually impressed by how upset he was over the matter, he clearly stated he felt it was totally unacceptable and would get it sorted for me. I felt assured our room would be treated as a priority if it was such a rare occurance.
Dinner is served in a seafront restauraunt, which is beautifully set out, and the waiter service was lovely on the whole, however we did wait nearly thirty minutes in a near empty restauraunt for two cold desserts.
We had noticed in the lobby on check in a sign saying there would be a vocalist with light hearted comedy on at 8.30, but later found this had been cancelled due to a wedding party, we sat in the bar, but literally felt like we were gatecrashing someone elses space so decided to go up to our room. NOTHING had been done about our complaints, I apreciate it was a Friday night, but surely it takes a few minutes for someone to at least sanitise the headboard and bathroom.
Needless to say we had no sleep, choosing to sleep half way down the bed in order to not come in contact with the ominous looking headboard, waking up having missed breakfast, and extremley tired. I again spoke to reception and made it clear that if the room was not up to standard I would want moving, The lady I spoke to seemed to find the whole 'white stains on the headboard' situation rather comical, and I left the hotel for the day more annoyed than ever. On returning, I was approached by the head housekeeper who assured me ' the room had been gone over with a fine tooth comb' and explained that they had had to rush the cleaning as they had '50 rooms in and 50 out' on the Friday morning. On returning to the room, it was hardly any better, The dust had gone from the tables, but the headboard was still filty, as was the bathroom - complete with lipstick and hairs, and the water bottle was still there.
The manager I originally spoke to asked if everything had been sorted, When I explained it hadn't I was again assured it would be dealt with. Ileft the hotel, upset, tired and generally fed up of the whole drama. When we returned in the afternoon, I asked that the manager came up and looked at the hygeine standards himself, he agreed with everything we said, making a joke out of the hair in the bathroom, saying 'well its not one of mine love is it?' but again, chose to leave us in this filthy dirty room for yet another night.
Our bill was £327 for 2 nights, and we were given a £40 discount on checkout. I'll let you decide whether that was sufficient! poor service, bad hygeine and a genuinely ruined break!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sarahsaints
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2010
All previous TA reviewers and feedback consistently given by our guests is on how immaculate and clean the hotel is maintained.
Therefore your review is unfortunate and unusual, clearly I regret any complaints on cleanliness and our record stands to show we have the highest standards
My duty manager and head housekeeper kept me informed of your issues and my head housekeeper actually then serviced your room stating there were points below our normal high standards and for that I am sorry.
However their report and actions does not concur with your review details and unfortunately the goodwill adjustment made on your account has failed in reaching your own ambitious target..
However if you did consider in returning please contact me directly so I could reassure you of receiving a warm welcome and more importantly a comfortable and enjoyable stay.
wigan
Reviewed 29 August 2010

I stayed in Sr Georges hotel with my husband and two young children, aged 10 and 2,We stayed in a family room and it was lovely. Very up to date decor and was pleased everything was set up for us on arrival ie sofa bed and cot, The room was immaculate.Staff very friendly and breakfast was fantastic. There was also a wedding on the night we stayed and the room looked gorgeous.well done St Georges.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2010
Such a nice review, thank you, am only pleased to read you felt the children were well catered for and even more so how much you enjoyed your stay and just hope we will be welcoming you back soon.
Dublin
Reviewed 29 August 2010

We stayed at this beautiful hotel for one night in August. We had been in UK for the week and were leaving from Holyhead the following day. When we arrived, we found the staff to be really friendly. Much to our delight, particularly our sons, we had been upgraded to a suite which meant our son had a room to himself and a bigger TV than we did!! He was so pleased with himself.
We had a sea view room which was so beautiful and really relaxing.
The complimentary cocktail on arrival was a lovely touch and the food was excellent.
We enjoyed our stay so much, we considered staying another night and changing our ferry departure date.
We both agreed that if the ferry crossing was not so expensive, we would make this hotel a reguarl weekend getaway location.

1 Thank YuchaiDublin
A lovely review, thank you, and yes such a shame the ferry crossing hinders more returns. However we hope on your next visit to the UK we will be welcoming you back to the St George's.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2010

We booked two rooms, one sea view double for my Mother in law and a sea view suite for my wife, my son and myself. The rooms were large, bright and clean. The views were magnificent despite the clouds and rain over the great orme. We had booked half board and were very pleased with the choice and quality of meals that were on offer. The staff were very pleasant, very attentive and very friendly, we felt that nothing was too much for them from the maintenance staff to the cleaners, they were excellent. We would not consider any othe hotel in Llandudno.

2 Thank CTennant
Thank you so much for your review, and have to say, you have discovered the secret to our success which is our loyal, friendly and hard working team.
Just looking forward to welcoming you back to St George's.
nottingham
Reviewed 24 August 2010

We have literally arrived home after a 2 night stay at the St Georges Hotel. What a wonderful few days we have had. From booking the room ( my husband has mobility issues and was offered a very suitable room), arriving and checking in and to leaving today we have been met with nothing but friendliness and courtesy. The room was clean and well maintained, and the breakfast service organised and the food hot and delicious. We would however like to specially mention the girls waiting on in the Terrace Lounge, Becky and another dark haired girl with plaits were so helpful and friendly we ate there both evenings as well as having our Summer Sizzler cocktail in there.

So please thank all the staff, despite it being busy, and the wedding on Saturday, at no time were we rushed, given rushed service or "short shrift" as we say round here.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mikebus
georgesLlandudno, Manager at St. George's Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2010
We so appreciate you taking the time to review but even more so that you found St George's and the team so special. Receiving such comments certainly spurs the team on to maintain the high standards, however I would agree that the staff contribute the most to the success of the hotel.
I shall be delighted to pass your comments on to Becky and Dawn.