“short break with elderly mum”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Iris Hotel

Iris Hotel
Ranked #77 of 152 Llandudno B&B and Inns
Chester, United Kingdom
“short break with elderly mum”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

just spent 2 nights at this hotel. Room ok but definately not the superior room we paid an extra £46 for-cos on our return I confirmed this by checking out the pictures on the Bookings.com site. Absolutely no atmosphere in the ''bar'' just a tiny bar with 3 bar stools. Breakfast was ok but ditch the dodgy sausage and 'bacon' (overcooked minute steak ) & for hygiene provide tongs for the bread by the toaster.
My elderly mum wanted to return to the hotel for an afternoon snooze and was mortified that the maintenance man walked in the room to fix the door card and handle (I wasnt aware it was broke cos we'd been given a key !!) & promptly walked out again.Then the receptionist rang to ask if he could come back again to fix it.!!

Room Tip: Check out the photos of the different types of room and make sure you get what you paid for.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Polish first
sutton coldfield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

spent a week with wife & friends,Oh dear me what a shock Lovely bedroom & good sized bed, Then it all went wrong. breakfast beef bacon & sausage, toaster kept breaking down, staff stood around like security guards,Had to ask for towel changes as wet ones were just folded up & put on rack Went out for the day came back and found doors to our rooms wide open from cleaners luckily nothing missing.One wet evening sat in foyer lounge as bar had shut at 9-00pm and was then told that the lights were being switched off because it was 10-00pm so we went to hotel next door for a relax and a drink.We think the staff have a lot to learn in management skills &never again its a no no,

Room Tip: pick a superior room with sea view did not look at any others
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank squash949

Travellers are raving about these Llandudno hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

Stayed here Sat 14 July and from the minute we pulled up to ask staff where we could park even thought it was nt checking in time they couldn't of been more helpful.
Once in room which was a sea view on 2 nd floor the room more then met our expectations and my partners who used to be in charge of house keeping for a major hotel in Chester. The disco lights were fun, not essential but there was more then enough lighting in room.
The only negative issues would be the beef bacon which wasn't to my taste, but in fairness it does state on menu. And I think a 14:00 check in time would be more convienant even if it was on a pre booked request.
Altogether we really enjoyed our stay and will defiantly be returning .

Mr G Williams

• Stayed July 2012
irismanager2011, General Manager at Iris Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Dear Mr Williams,

Thank you for your positive comments on trips advisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and the sea view room that you stayed in. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

D.Price
Manager
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

Where do I start?
Breakfast doesn't start til 8:30 making it rubbish for any working trip.
Dinner orders have to be made by 5:30 making it rubbish for any working trip.
They failed to provide me with any towels which I didn't realise until I'd used the over elaborate shower unit.
The reading light was a flashing multi coloured LED job, which felt rather seedy.
The coup de grace However was the thin slices of beef served at breakfast instead of bacon.
Beef. What on earth is that all about?

• Stayed June 2012
, Manager at Iris Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2012
Dear visitor. Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention. In regards to your comments yesterday, here at the Iris Hotel we strive to meet all customers needs, and if you had any requests or queries we would have been happy to adhere to them (E.g.: If you required an earlier breakfast due to work commitments, we would've been happy to offer you a continental breakfast from 7.30am which would have been sent to your room at a time you requested)

The reason we ask visitors to order their evening meals by 5pm is to ensure that our chefs have adequate time to prepare the meals as we make all meals from fresh. Again, if you had required a meal and checked in after 5pm, we would have done everything possible to ensure that you had had a meal.

In regards to the towels, I fully apologise that there weren't towels already in your room and have spoken personally to the cleaner involved to ensure that every room has all items prior to check in. I hope that whoever checked you into the hotel made it clear that if you needed anything for your room to dial reception and it would have been brought immediately.

I am sorry that you were not happy with the reading light, again if you found it a problem we would have changed it to a normal bulb for you.

We have our breakfast menu shown at the reception and in the restaurant stating that it includes beef bacon and sausage; it is freshly prepared in our kitchens by our chefs, cured and sliced exactly the same way as pork bacon. I understand that it might not be to everyone's taste but the majority of our customers say that they enjoy it.

I hope that this has answered your questions, if you would like to talk about this further then please do not hesitate to call us.
liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

We have been been to the Iris on a few occasions and found the accommodation very nice and clean and up to a good standard, also everything was in working order and very satisfactory. My only criticism was that although most of the breakfast items on offer generally were good, for some reason the sausage and bacon were a bit weird and not what you would normally get in a good B/B. I appreciate that what I am saying is being a bit picky but a good full English breakfast to me is part of the B/B experience. I hope consideration is given to my comment as I did enjoy my stay and would look forward to next time and going back for another visit.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, General Manager at Iris Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Thank you very much for your positive comments on our trip advisor page, in regards to your comments about the breakfast items, our bacon and sausages are home made in the kitchens and are made from beef rather than pork, since your comments, and to make this clear to customers, we have printed additional menus for breakfast clearly explaining this. We hope this has answered your question and look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Regards
D.Price
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

I stayed with my girlfriend in a sea view room. outstanding view and neat room, staff are very helpful and friendly. They are ready to help and they are so nice!!!!.
I highly recommend this hotel to young couples as well as senior citizens. lovely breakfast and good sea food, fresh and selective .

Room Tip: Room on the sea view is great, in terrible weather you dont need to go out, just sit and relax and e...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Manager at Iris Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2012
Thank you very much for your positive comments on trip advisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we are always striving to improve our service to our customers. Please contact us on 01492 868 800 if you would like to stay with us again in the near future. We look forward to seeing you again.

Kind Regards

Mihaela Mihu
Assistant Manager
Merthyr Tydfil
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

I must have been in a different hotel to some of the people commenting on here!!! Myself and my partner spent a week in this hotel from 2nd to 9th June 2012. Our room was lovely - it was very clean and modern and everything worked. The bathroom was immaculate and the shower was fantastic. We always had plenty of hot water at various times of day.

The staff on the whole were friendly and helpful and whenever I requsted anything it was dealt with immediatly (eg extra coat hangers, more tea,coffee for room etc)

Our room was serviced daily unless we requested otherwise - plenty of clean towels provided

The only down side, although this was not a major issue was breakfast - if you were not there at 8.30 you may have to wait for a table - this didn't happen with us but I could see why it would be frustrating!

The only critisism I may have would be that some of the younger, less experienced staff appeared that they could benefit from some guidance and training as I found it impossible to know on any given day who was "in charge"

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Iris Hotel, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Thank you very much for your positive review on Tripadvisor. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and value your comments and strive to always improve our customer service (in regards to your comments about waiting at breakfast time and with our younger staff). We hope to see you again soon. Please call us on 01492 868 800 if you wish to stay with us again in the near future.

Kind Regards