Iris Hotel
Ranked #80 of 146 Llandudno B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Staff very unfriendly never spoke to you after giving you the key to your room. Room was fine clean towels every day we were there 5 days did not clean room or make beds but they did clean toliet every day. Can not discribe the breakfasts warm fried beef instead of bacon never seen sausages like them. Staff came round to table with tea which was poured from an electric kettle never seen anything like it in my life. None of the staff could speak good english. When we took key back on leaving all staff said was have you payed. Hotel was in a good position. Would not stay there again

Room Tip: Room g 1 was on ground floor and quite spacious. Good shower No view only looking at back of hotel...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 August 2012

Stayed 3 nights in early June 12 after reading hotels own 'up beat' review of its refurbishment, new bistro and new experienced manager. Booked through hotel booking site at agreed rate for sea view room. On checking in the receptionist tries to charge a higher rate when I tell her the rate still being offered online I get a look that could kill. Shaking her head she walks into a little room behind the desk where a heated debate begins between 2 or 3 other voices. I don't know what's being said as I can't understand the language. Eventually receptionist returns and says "okay, that's £239.97"......no, not even a please. I think about accepting the price....I'm a typical Brit...I always think I'm wrong........ but I'm not. 3 nights at £69-95 is not what she's asking. I tell her that the figure she's asked for is incorrect and tell her the correct amount, without blinking she agrees, takes my card, swipes it and completes the transaction. her next word are " your room card, room number , third floor, lift is over there" and starts to walk away. I ask her if we need to book a table for the 'Bistro'. I'm told I need to order my evening meal in the 'Bistro' before 5pm....it's now 6.05pm so it's too late. Later experience of the hotel prepared food would prove how fortunate I'd been by being "too late at 6.05pm". The room we were allocated looked as though it had been refurbished recently but lots of things were either unfinishes and/or needed finishing....this is a real shame as there's been money spent but the overseer/superviser must be visually impaired not to notice the faults: There's a small ceiling mounted night light that never goes off, don't know what that's about, bed lamp loosely fitted using only one screw. Shower room is small, difficult to use the loo, shower tray badly sealed, shower enclosure partially sealed hence water runs all over the floor unless towels are placed outside the shower enclosure. The shower looks expensive with over-head shower and body sprays but it's a nightmare trying to work out which of the combination of 3 knobs turns which way to do what???? Trial and error's okay but either freezes your butt off or scalds your ........! Strange smell coming from the wet room water drain???? Miscellaneous variety of hangers in the wardrobe.....3 of the 6 available cracked and useless. On the whole 3 or 4 hours work for the average hanyman would put too rights. The first 2 days we tried twice each morning after breakfast to bring the problems to someones attention....THIS PLACE IS LIKE THE MARIE CELESTE....there's noone there it's in a time warp....you can here voices from the little office which when you ring the counter bell or call out all goes quiet....so we gave up. We took breakfast on the -1 (yes it's called minus 1 floor). In this room I found 3 people of varying uniforms/dress codes that I think work at the hotel. On arriving into the cellar breakfast room offered tea or coffee...no problems....and it's a buffet breakfast...no extra problems yet. I help myself to a bowl of muesli and eat it with my cup of coffee,,,coffee tastes a little cheap....poorer even than the satchets in the room! Then I take myself over to the buffet. This is a stainlees steel servery about 4feet long with a 'chef' serving the guests. There's sausage, bacon, mushroom, beans, hash browns, scrambled and fried eggs. If you asked for sausage and bacon you're given one piece of bacon and one sausage....this guy has got portion control down to an art form. I ask for bacon, sausage and beans. I get a piece of bacon, a sausage and a dinner spoon of beans.....you do your own toast at the toaster (allow 15 minutes per slice if noone else is queueing). It's worth going to this place just to look at the sausages they serve....not your usual microwave and then 30sec grill....no these have likely been microwave for several minutes a couple of days ago, then microwaved again on the day before being thrown around the frying pan with the fried eggs. The bacon..well...what can I say about the bacon? Well, it's colour......purpley red...looks about like the colour of chinese ribs but does compensate but not having the flavour of chinese ribs nor the flavour of anything approaching bacon........beans were okay, though. Anyway I'm getting bored with this tale so I'm going to remind you ...don't waste your money... get a tent and a stove on the beach. By the way I did'nt mention that on exiting the hotel on the first evening (remember we were too late to order at 6.05pm) I slipped on the lethal (when wet) steps ...smashing both my spine and head on the step edges. Since returning home I've spent time in hospital as a result. By the way when I fell and was lying outside on the steps in the rain my wife ran back into the hotel for help....yes, you guessed it...the MARIE CELESTE eventually she gave up and guests from another hotel aided me. On returning from A&E we did notive a yellow caution floor wet sign appropriately placed. We never did see the manager. If you're wondering why we did'nt tell the breakfast staff of our concerns, we did. The one who understood us shrugged shoulders and told us to go to reception to see the manager.....or...the Captain of the MARIE CELESTE.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BARRYPRI
Reviewed 31 July 2012

When we arrived we were greeted by reception who just said - name, booking confirmation ok you are down the corridor here is your room key. Customer service is really something they need to improve on, so off we went to our room which looked ok and adequate however on further inspection we found quite a lot wrong...

1. There were stains on the carpet

2. The Wardrobe is popped up with a piece of wood

3. We had coat hangers but they were everybody else's leftovers

4. The bed was hard up against the wall, if your going to do this at least put something bigger that the smallest double bed you can find

5. The Bed had no slats it was on a sheet of plywood so was pretty uncomfortable

6. The dressing table area was fine apart from the fact that when you sat down to do your hair or make up you couldn't see yourself because the mirror was to high

7. When we returned from the wedding next door we were locked out, this was never explained to us when we checked in, luckily someone was leaving the hotel and we managed to get in.

Now to Breakfast....

Now don't get me wrong I love beef and I thought a lot of the comments were probably unfair about the beef bacon and sausages, this was before I tried it for myself.......

The Bacon was revolting the sausages tasted nothing like beef the fried eggs were drowning in oil my partner had scrambled and he said it was really dry.

I only stayed here because I was here for a wedding next door we were running late and had to go straight out had I of been here for a romantic getaway or even a holiday I would of moved straight away.

I don't agree with writing terrible reviews but i think that this hotel needs to get its act in order before it goes out of business

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view otherwise you will be looking at a rotting garage and the car park
2  Thank dumberino
Reviewed 26 July 2012

This hotel needs Gordon Ramsey to come in and shake up every thing and everybody from it's acceptance of mediocrity as normal.|The young staff probably think they are doing a good job because they are doing what they have been taught....they are not. There was a lack of leadership,the manager wasn't present at any time we were in the hotel, which wasn't often, as we dreaded going back there.We drew the short straw by being allocated a room in the "annex"-an outbuilding across a yard next to the dustbins.To be fair, the room was clean,the bathroom had a modern shower,although there was a lack of cupboard space and no hangers.The car park was this yard,room for 3 cars maximum,you would have needed to back up a narrow passage and back down again as there wasn't room to turn.Breakfast was frustrating....young male staff in shirt and tie looked the part but weren't waiters.A sign said "wait to be seated",these 2 chaps stood by the door,they didn't greet us,just looked at us.We indicated there were 2 of us and they just pointed us in the direction of a table at which one of the 2 chairs had a broken leg!It was self-service,with little room to squeeze between tables,there was no tinned fruit on the second morning,the chef liked to serve the hot food which meant you were restricted to just one of everything. If he disappeared into the kitchen you were able to fill your plate yourself....but nobody wanted the beef bacon...is that a Welsh thing?The staff were like robots-there was no communication even between themselves,no smiles,no conversation.The bar ,apparently,opened between 6pm and 9,I couldn't say where it is, there was nothing happening when we returned at night around 10, reception was closed,no sign of anyone.This is one of many hotels on the promenade,I suggest you try another one.

Room Tip: Don't go in the annex!
3  Thank jonesy95
Reviewed 26 July 2012

2 of us had single rooms for 1 night on 25th July. My room was very clean and quiet and the bed was very comfortable. The shower was lovely with complementary toiletries. The breakfast timings are a little restrictive and the absence of bacon will concern some people however overall we thought the breakfast was adequate.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 July 2012

we booked this hotel as we wanted a cheap hotel close to venue cymru as we were going to a gig there. It seemed ideal as it was on the front and a few steps away from our venue.

As it was a weekend and the weather was nice we could not park on the front as it was packed. We were told there was a small car park at the back which we could not find. We nipped into the hotel as 2pm to ask for directions. Were given directions and told that we had to reverse down to it as the street was so narrow.We still struggled to find and it was not signposted and decided to park elsewhere until a front promenade space became clear. We were glad we waited as we later saw for ourselves that the 'small carpark' was actually 3 spaces down the narrowest street i have ever seen!!

We went into the hotel at 2pm to ask for car park directions and also to see if we could check in any earlier. We we told a flat no as the cleaner was working until 3pm.

We were shown half way to our rooms with no help with our bags which i wouldnt mind but we had a lot and the man could see i was struggling. We found we were actually not part of the hotel we were in a seperate part (like a garage!!)

The room seemed ok on first site but after inspection there was nothing nice about it. the walls were marked, curtains didnt open/close properly. Bathroom was clean apart from the fan which was covered in dirt and dust. Luckily the sheets and towels were clean.

Not impressed by being woken by the cleaning staff at 7.45pm, also walls so thin i heard next door coughing all night, then they put their TV on at 8pm so no chance of a lie in!

As we only spent one night here and we were out and about as the weather was so nice the hotel i would class as OK. however the breakfast the following morning was terrible. Black bacon and black rubber sausages are not my thing.

So for anyone staying in Llandudno for more than one night i would definately go elsewhere, Just not suitable for anything more than one night.

1  Thank jane h
Reviewed 23 July 2012

just spent 2 nights at this hotel. Room ok but definately not the superior room we paid an extra £46 for-cos on our return I confirmed this by checking out the pictures on the Bookings.com site. Absolutely no atmosphere in the ''bar'' just a tiny bar with 3 bar stools. Breakfast was ok but ditch the dodgy sausage and 'bacon' (overcooked minute steak ) & for hygiene provide tongs for the bread by the toaster.
My elderly mum wanted to return to the hotel for an afternoon snooze and was mortified that the maintenance man walked in the room to fix the door card and handle (I wasnt aware it was broke cos we'd been given a key !!) & promptly walked out again.Then the receptionist rang to ask if he could come back again to fix it.!!

Room Tip: Check out the photos of the different types of room and make sure you get what you paid for.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family