“Grand - Llandudno - Economic Weekend Break”

The Grand Hotel - Llandudno
Ranked #57 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Northwich, Cheshire
“Grand - Llandudno - Economic Weekend Break”
Reviewed 10 November 2011

We stayed at the Grand on Sunday 6th November.
The Location is superb, virtually on the pier, with stunning views, and 400 yards in Llandudno centre.
The Hotel is a little dated now, and needs a revamp to bring it right up to date.
However, the staff were superb, and couldnt have been any better.
Our room was small, but was enough, and had superb views. Clean and tidy, with extra pillows and blankets in wardrobe if needed.(saves asking for extra)
(minor point, a large cot had been left in room, so we removed it.)
The tea/coffee facility was compact and ideal to use with ample supplies, for a drink anytime.
Toilet, washbasin, clean and shelves to put personal toiletries.
Shower was great, with good pressure and water as hot as you wanted, with thermo control for constant heat.
We went into town for Evening Meal, but had Breakfast in Hotel Dining Room. Self service, and please to see the mandoratory sanitising Hand Gel dispensed by staff for all that entered.
Standard self service breakfast, with all appetitites catered for, in variety, quantity and quality, from traditional English to Fresh Fruits. Fresh food constantly being restocked and Tables were cleared quickly and efficiently.
(minor point, I asked for a toothpick, and was told couldnt supply because of health and safety, ridiculous, please check H&S rules !)
Packed and checked out, no queues, just drop keycard and info in box.
Still find it antiquated, the check out times in British Hotels, leave the room for 10.00am.
Love to sit on bed and read morning paper and leave mid-dayish. i know rooms have to be cleaned, but many do leave early.
Overall, value for money, great short break, and would stay again.
Paul

Room Tip: Great Sea Views the higher you go, some rooms have balconies.
1 Thank Bigfella1952
AnnaElliebb, General Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, 13 November 2011
Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel and staff. The informative feedback is very helpful for future guests.
I have no idea why you were told we don't have tooth picks because of H & S. I assume the member of staff did not want to upset you but the truth is; we don't have them as there is very little demand.
We are an extremely busy hotel and we do have to turn around the rooms on demand for the next arrival so we need the rooms back for 10am. However, we do offer a late check out for £10 and you can stay in the room until midday.
Thanks again; we look forward to entertaining you once again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
  • Polish first
Woodford Halse, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We recently spent two nights over Bonfire weekend, and it couldn't have been better. We were slightly dubious after reading some reviews, but took a punt and stayed anyway. We were amused by the Christmas and New Year theme to the the weekend with in the hotel, but we took it at face value and it was enjoyable none-the-less. We might have possibly have been the youngest couple (25) staying there, but it didn't matter, staff and other guests were all friendly and welcoming. Yes, it might have been a bit dated, and yes, could have done with a lick of paint, but it was clean, tidy and well presented - I couldn't have asked for more. We were thrilled to have got a sea view room, and I was amazed at JUST how close the sea was! All in all it was a perfect stay. I read a few reviews about car parking and it being awful etc, but we found free parking 5-10 minutes walk away, 24 hours was only £3 (cheaper than 4 hours shopping in Birmingham) and as we walked around Llandudno it became apparent that if you want to stay on the sea front, this is something you have to accept, as most places don't have parking! The heating was a little warm for my tastes, but it being November I didn't grumble about it for long!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are brilliant - we were on the 4th floor. but beware early morning seagull noise if y...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
The sea views are indeed amazing, especially from the rooms on the 3rd and 4th floor.
I have myself been to the 3rd floor today and when the tide is in you feel like you are in the middle of the Irish Sea.
Turkey & Tinsel breaks are definitely festive; I hope it put you in the mood for Christmas. All the staff could sing Jingle Bells by heart by the time we get to December 1st !
Parking charges are by far cheaper than City charges; the maximum you will pay is £4.10 for 24 hours and if you are lucky to get on the street the charges are currently £1.50.
Can't do anything about the noisy seagulls I'm afraid; except advise guests against feeding them as this makes them return even more.
Thanks again for the review.
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2011

stayed at the Grand for 2 nights 30th & 31st Oct. our room was clean no funny odours! and the view across the bay was stunning from the balcony. The staff were all very polite and helpful, the food though basic buffet style was hot and enjoyable ( service for evening meal was very short though). Would recommend this hotel and looking forward to our next stay.

Room Tip: a sea view a must
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely review of our hotel. I am so happy to hear you had a nice short break and we look forward to seeing you again.
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2011

My partner & I stayed at The Grand Hotel on November 5th after I got a good cheap deal for a 1 nights stay. If I’m honest I wasn’t expecting that much but I have to say the staff were very friendly & helpful ... as with regards to the food we were treated to an evening 3 course buffet (and a very festive one at that!) , I didn’t think too much of the starter soup or the trifle pudding but the main carvery meal was tasty ... we thought it was a bit too early for a festive buffet, maybe middle to late November for that. The breakfast was nice, didn’t like the bacon but everything else definitely filled a hole.
We were given room 316 which had a nice sea view; both days were beautiful & clear so it made the view even better ... the room is small & I guess dated but I kind of expected that because I knew it was one of oldest Llandudno hotels & I personally liked that old fashioned look but I guess basic maintenance work like rusty balcony rails should be taken care of & if that isn’t raised by the guests then the cleaners should highlight this to the management so they can take action.

It was the prime location for the excellent fireworks display on Llandudno North Pier so after watching them go off we joined the OAP’s for a spot of bingo in the ballroom!!! It was good!

Overall it was a nice stay, for a 2-3 Star hotel its not bad at all, I don’t think the name does the place any favours ... it is grand in size but maybe not in quality ... The Grand Old Hotel would be a better name to go by & would give future guests an immediate insight into what they should expect

1 Thank Part_timetraveller79
Thank you for your informative review. I am currently getting prices for the balconies to be painted; it is no small job as we have 120 balconies which require attention due to the inclement weather.
We are currently in the middle of our Turkey & Tinsel programme and I find guests pleasantly surprised that they are treated to a Turkey candlelit dinner and wine; albeit in November !!
Entertainment, Bingo and Karaoke; what more could you ask for in a winter break.
We very much look forward to seeing you again sometime in the future.
birkenhead
Reviewed 5 November 2011

You couldn't fault the staff at all! Welcoming n good customer service!!!the food was basic but nice even had a vegetarian option for me!! Entertainment was bingo n karaoke which was a laugh. Building very dated but views stunning worth upgradin your room if you can to a balcony one well worth it. Would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a cheap break away(I found 3 course dinner room n breakfast for two ppl for £58!!!! Upgrade was an extra £10 for the room!!! The staff made up for anything that didn come up to scratch! 8/10

• Stayed November 2011
AnnaElliebb, General Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, 7 November 2011
Thank you for your great review. We do have some fantastic deals out of season and I am so glad that you had a lovely holiday. I agree it is worth upgrading to a sea view room with balcony; even in the winter.
We have had a very busy season with great response from guests and I am happy to add your review to the 'happy and satisfied' list.
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2011

we stayed in room 230 from 21 to24 oct.yes,the hotel could badly use a facelift,but this might well spoil the atmosphere,which made our break so enjoyable.my wife would certainly have noticed had there been the slightest smell of urine from the mattress.it cannot be easy to keep these ageing rooms clean,but they were.our friends wife is severely disabled,but they experienced no problems at all.staff were friendly and helpful.we also only had beans once,but with all the other choices it didnt really matter.after reading reviews before we came we were not looking foreward to it.none of the guests we spoke to had any complaints.in conclusion,great atmosphere,great staff,good food.thanks for a great break,certainly be back.

Room Tip: we will go for premier next time for the views
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank gerald c
AnnaElliebb, General Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, 4 November 2011
Thank you so so much for this review. We really appreciate any positive feedback but especially from Room 230!!
I agree the hotel could do with a makeover; but hopefully what we lack in facilities we make up for in great entertainment, good food and friendly staff.
It sounds like you had a fabulous shortbreak; please come back and see us again.
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

stayed at the grand hotel for 2 nights on 28th and 29 october, on the first floor (room 116) the view over llandudno was fantastic the room was spotlessly clean with exellent tea/coffe making facilities.
the food was very good......the staff were very hard working and very helpfull. great entertainment area downstairs with good acts.
the hotel is in an ideal location and car parking was not a problem on the road outside (pay and display)
very difficult to say anything bad about this hotel as it was fantastic value for money
myself and my lovely girlfriend are hopeing to stay at the grand again next year

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank whitemouse20
AnnaElliebb, General Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, 14 November 2011
So glad you had a fab break with us here in Llandudno. Not much to add to your review as you have said it all.
We look forward to seeing you and your lovely girlfriend again.