The Grand Hotel - Llandudno
Ranked #58 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Have just returned from a 5 night break on a Dinner, Bed and Breakfast basis, paying a mere
£100 per person. The value is brilliant, the room was fine, no sea view that was an extra £5 per person per night - we chose to look out at the Great Orme instead. The food was also fine, staff very helpful and friendly. Our room was warm as were the reception rooms. There was entertainment on each night, but we chose not to use this facility - purely a personal choice. Well done Britannia Hotel Groups for putting on these really good value breaks. This was our second visit to the Grand at Llandudno - ONE point to remember for all the 'oldies,' reading this, you can't use your English/Scottish bus pass on Welsh buses - what a shame - still there is a long prom and also the pier to stroll on, if the weather is kind to you and they are flat too! Watch out for the traffic wardens if you take your own car - there are as keen as mustard! Jean

1  Thank JeanNorthYorkshire
AnnaElliebb, General Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Thank you for the lovely review. At least you recognized the Gt. Orme as the national park of Llandudno and not a brick wall as it is sometimes called.
We get asked all the time about the bus pass; I even rang the Welsh Assembly but no luck I'm afraid. Any anyway; you can stay in Llandudno and walk the prom or the Orme or even let the 'train take the strain' (showing my age now !)
Never think you can beat a traffic warden; as it will never happen. I have had 4 penalty notices, one for my pass falling under the passenger seat whilst going round a roundabout.
I can never understand why people (guests, staff, delivery men. workmen) complain when they get a legitimate penalty notice so take heed of this reviewers good advice.
Thanks again for the great review; hopefully see you again this year.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,840)

Reviewed 26 February 2012

My wife and I had a mini weekend break at this lovely hotel in Llandudno. The service we received throughout from all members of staff was first class. Our room was the on the lower floor with a view of the bay that was brilliant, are room was a very large with a seperate sitting room, bedroom and a bathroom that you only expect in a first class apartment, never mind a Hotel. In the evenings the Hotel provided first class entertainment in the ballroom and If you only wanted somewhere quiet, a very nice large lounge room were you could have a natter and a reasonably priced drink. I can honestly say that my wife and I had a great weekend with a crowd 60's music lovers although from our part this was a bonus that was not planned. The Staff that we came in touch with were generous were there help and made the weekend the best we have had for many years.The dining area although it could be improved I could not question the quality of service that was provided and food to match. My best wishes to all the guys ad gals in Black.

Room Tip: No need all that I spoketo enjoyed there weekend
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the briiliant review. You were lucky to land on the Rock n Roll weekend and what a great bunch of people they are. They come primarily to dance the night away and generally have a good time and sometimes entertain the other guests with their lovely outfits.
The guys in black (the restaurant staff) send their wishes right back at you.
Thank you again for taking the time to review.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

Stayed Sunday night on the Dinner, bed, breakfast and wine offer. Booked Premier room. Checking in and reception staff excellent. Room, large, clean with views over Pier and bay. Facilities included - Tea and coffee making facilities and iron & ironing board. Bathroom first class.
Coffee and drinks in bar / lounge were very good as was the service.
Dinner was good, cold starters, carvery and assorted gateaux and cheese and biscuits. Service was excellent.
Unfortunately breakfast was poor. I think that this was due to only a few Premier rooms being booked. The eggs, bacon etc had obviously been out in trays prior to start of breakfast with no replenishment with fresh. We should have got our food from the main dining room as that was
quite busy and the food was constantly being replenished.
The service in the Premier dining room was excellent.
We would definately return to the Grand but would not make same mistake over breakfast.

Room Tip: Premier rooms are worth the extra.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Anthony B

Thank you for the great comments; only sorry breakfast did not match all your expectations. Sunday nights are normally the quietest of the week so the food did not get replenished as it would normally of which I can only apologise.
You should have asked the waiter on duty for a fresh breakfast or asked him if you could serve yourself from the main carvery.
Hopefully we will see you again in the future.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

we stayed in the premier rooms. nice to see a fully tiled bathroom. the beds were so comfy very large hotel with curteous staff. everything worked, the food was copious and appetising. all hotels should realise that being vegetarian dosen't mean pasta bake is a good enough alternative every night and nothing forthcoming at breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for you great review; as a busy hotel we are often asked for certain diets which we always do our utmost to accommodate. I wasn't sure by your comments if you were offered anything for breakfast as we always have vegetarian sausages available.
You did give the hotel 4/5 so I may have misread the review but thank you for taking the time to review and the positive comments about the staff.

Reviewed 23 February 2012

Stayed in the premier rooms, balconied views on 3 sides over the sea, pier and mountain park. We expected the room to be cold due to 3 double glass doors but 3 radiators kept us snug. Furniture is a bit old and there were a few scuffs and scrapes, and a little paint peeling on the ceiling but very clean and comfortable. As we had upgraded to the premier we ate in the premier restaurant. Food and service was very good but as it was a Valentine's celebration we were disappointed in the feeble decoration. A plastic heart on the window and not even a plastic flower to decorate the table, never mind a rose. The complimentary wine in the bedroom was a cheap bottle of Perry and the chocolates were only 3 in a little box. However, the chef on the evenings, a lovely asian gentleman was very friendly and helpful. He really makes guests feel special especially in comparison to the chef at breakfast. Most of the Staff were helpful, efficient and polite though (except for the rude and miserable Sean in charge of Kareoke in the Connaught Room). The ballroom entertainment was a lovely bonus. As there was an outbreak of the Novovirus in the resort when we arrived the hotel smelled of disinfectant, and clients were obliged to use the hand gel in the corridors and toilets. We would have cancelled if we had known in advance but it was so obvious the management were taking no risks that we were happy to stay. We went out and about and found lots to entertain and interest us outside the hotel. We had stayed before when day time activities were laid on during bad weather but not this time, inspite of it being cold and rainy - not what we expected for what was billed as a fun Valentine's Celebration Weekend. We might stay there again but would not recommend it for a theme party or function. And pity the balconies were full of gull droppings.

Room Tip: Upgrading to the premier does not get you the better furnished and comfortable accommodation. Ask f...
1  Thank irenewatson

Thank you for your comments about you break at the Grand Hotel Llandudno. I agree the decoratons were a bit feeble so lesson to be learnt for next year I think ! Choice of wine and chocolates were out of my hands.
Thank you so much for you comments about the chef. He is in fact Portuguese but he does have a look of the orient about him.
The entertainment staff do not actually work for me but I will pass your comments on about Sean although I am surprised to hear your comments because he is normally so polite.
On the positve side you did enjoy the entertainment in the Grand Ballroom which is good to hear.
We do take outbreaks of the Norovirus very seriously and anyone who has contracted this nasty virus will understand why.
We have over 100 balconies in the hotel and it is a constant battle to combat the seagulls; one in all honesty we will never win so if you arrive and your balcony needs cleaning, pick up the red phone on every landing and ask reception to send the porter up. Alternatively use your mobile to call the hotel direct on 01492 876245.
The only thing I will disagree on is that I think we do theme weekends very well; we don't actually think of Valentines as a theme weekend; it is more a personal break for 2 - not one to be 'shared'

Reviewed 22 February 2012

Stayed at the hotel due to visiting the theatre and getting a brilliant deal. The hotel itself is very very dated. The minute stepped off the lift we were greeted with creaky floorboards. The room (Twin room) was fine, One double bed and a single which makes me think they thought there were going to be 3 of us. The strangest thing was no lights on the ceiling just two small lights above the beds and a lamp.. bit strange, the light in the bathroom is very dim and flickers for about 2 minutes before staying on. The cold water tap is warm so not great when brushing teeth! however the shower is amazing!! very powerful and hot couldnt fault it. The problem we had was that the walls are very thin. We could hear everything outside on the corridor then everything above and I mean everything the guest above us didnt stop moving around until 1ish then were up about 6:00 so not a great nights sleep. The piping was also so loud in the bathroom.
However breakfast was lovely, plenty of choice hot and cold. couldnt fault it, There is obviously the concern of norovirus which we were warned about when we got there, what I couldnt understand was that there was bottles of anti-bacterial gel around but they werent actually telling people to use it. and I witnessed many people going into the breakfast room without using it,
Overall the hotel is fine for a nice break.. definalty for the older generation we were 100% the youngest people there. Needs updating in certain areas.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for the feedback. The floorboards do creak in certain parts of the hotel and there is not much we can do about it (my floorboards creak in my bedroom and my house isn't even that old !) Not sure what room you were in but there must be some soil pipes close by the room; every building has to have them I'm afraid. We use the triple rooms as a family room, double or a twin so the staff would not be expecting 3 people.
We have some rooms that do not have a ceiling light and I have never heard that the cold water is warm. We have a direct feed for the cold water so unsure how this would happen but we have since tested the water temp and all is o.k
Thank you for the positive comments about the restaurant and breakfast; sounds like you were definitely the youngest guests in the hotel at the time.
Norovirus is till prevelant in the local hospitals so we have the hand gel out for the guests to make the choice for themselves.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

Good hotel, friendly staff, quick check in, problem with the lift kept breaking down. Breakfast was great selection. Good location for shops, beach and the Great Orme. Good for getting about.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for the great review.
Thankfully the lift problems have been resolved; just volume of traffic with nearly 300 guests going up and down all day. On the whole (I have my fingers crossed as I type this) the lifts do not present much of a problem since the total refubishment of our main lift.
Hopefully we will see you again soon.