“absoloutley shocking”

Ranked #58 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Skelmersdale, England, United Kingdom
“absoloutley shocking”
Reviewed 29 July 2012

My husband and I had booked a weekend here for my husbands birthday and as a careers break,as we have a young disabled son. When we rang the booking line we asked for a jacuzzi room,with dinner and breakfast. After a hour and a half long drive,we arrived at the hotel. It took us almost 40 minutes to get a parking space anywhere near to the hotel,which we also had to pay for. We checked in quickly and went up to our room,311. I wasnt expecting the room to be ultra modern,considering the decor of reception and the upkeep of the exterior,but i wasnt prepared for the state of our 'premier' room. I was literally speechless when we walked in. Woodchip wallpaper, peeling and cracking off the walls. Dated furniture that looked like it was from the early 70's, a hairdryer (also circa 1970) which had never had its vents de -clogged. Stained,ripped seats, moldy french windows that opened out onto, quite frankly,rusty unstable feeling balconys. The mold had also spread up the curtains. We had booked a double room,but our room had a double and a single bed ( bed linen was filthy). I went into the bathroom,hoping the jacuzzi would be the saving grace,but there was only a shower that was fit for a child! I went back down to reception,who told me that a jacuzzi room had never been requested,but that a family room with space for a wheelchair had! i know this isnt the hotels direct fault,it was the booking call centre,who we are dealing with at the minute. We were offered a standard twin room,which we refused. We asked for a refund and went to stay in the hotel Iris,which was lovely. The hotel staff were not what you would call helpfull,infact the manager didnt seem at all suprised that there was mold in the room and that we were unhappy with the state of our room. My husband offered to show her pictures,but she refused to look at them saying she believed what we were saying. For the price we were paying (almost £150 per night) I am astonished that Britannia hotels would have rooms at this appaling level. I would not stay one night at this hotel,even if it was for free,nor will I be using Britannia hotels ever again.

3 Thank Jo R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Polish first
morecambe
Reviewed 25 July 2012

My husband and I spent a miserable 3 days at this hotel ( I suppose it could have been worse as we left early). As for upgrading to premier we stayed in room 111a there was nothing premier about it. The room needed a good clean. The dining room was small the food wasn't served in an appetising way and you couldn't see the view for the dirty windows.Each time we went into the dining room which wasn't often even though we paid for dinner bed and breakfast I felt the need to inspect plates, cutlery and glasses due to having dirty ones on a few occassions. Spoke to duty manager still waiting a response

Room Tip: It appears that all rooms are the same size some might be quieter but its not worth paying the extra...
3 Thank caroline w

Travellers are raving about these Llandudno hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Having checked into this hotel at the beginning of the month I walked through reception and I actually thought it was quite a pleasant hotel, yes it was a bit dated but you would expect that for the year it was built. The young receptionist with dark hair which checked us in was very pleasant and efficient. The room (with a nice seaview) was basic but adequate and quite clean was made better by the view of the sea. Most of the staff in the restaurant were very pleasent as was the lady on the door (the restaurant manager I think) we found the hotel was very good value for money. Now for the bad point. Having went to reception I asked the receptionist if I could have a word with the duty the receptionist then went to ask the manager (who was just sat down behind the glass partition staring at me) come and talk to me. The manager (the one that was sat there doing nothing) then said to the girl get Dan (not sure who this person was as i didnt see him) tell him I'm busy doing something. The poor receptionist couldn't get hold of 'Dan' then after about 10 minutes of waiting the woman who was looking at me through the glass then can round. I just feel that this is very poor service I probably wouldn't have wrote this until I witnessed such a lazy reception manager!!! And after that will NOT be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2012
5 Thank sarah j
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Rang the hotel to ask which were the best rooms. We were allocated room 93 on the lower floor minus 1 in the silver lift. This room made our 3 night break as the weather was not great. Room was very spacious with a spledid view of the sea and the bay.
We stayed room and breakfast which was okay, not brilliant but enough choice to satisfy most.We ate out at the Wetherspoons on Tuesday steak night, very good value. We also tried the Sandpiper fish bistro which we found overpriced and not worth the money.
Hotel staff were all very friendly from reception, bar and restaurant to the ladies who cleaned the room.
The entertainment in the ballroom was worth watching even though it was the same troupe each night with a different show. After the ballroom show there was entertainment in the Connaught bar..........now this was DIFFERENT.
The hotel is a little tired but not a dump and is in a very good location. The entrance n the pier level should be open all the time though.
In summary we enjoyed the hotel, staff and entertainment and based on our room and the price we would visit again and recommend.
Final comment.......we arranged this break ourselves and found that if you can get through to the hotel it is beneficial

Room Tip: Sea view rooms 89 91 93
2 Thank under2016
oldbury
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Stayed in "premier room 109A" on the first floor above the Connaught bar -if you like Kareoke this is a must because it blasts through the floorboards at 90 decibels till 1am in the morning.We'll never hear mustang sally in the same light ever again! As for a premier room this left a lot to be desired- sea view ok if the windows were clean, pokey room,with a re-cycled wardrobe door as a full length mirror.This is a tired dated hotel which was a big disappointment at £115 a night b&b for a retirement weekend away.Would not visit this hotel again in it's present condition ( the list is endless)- needs the "Hotel Inspector".On the plus side Llandudno is a lovely place and we looked on in envy at some of the beautiful hotels on the prom where we could have spent our money.

4 Thank mike11Oldbury
Goole, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2012

As this was our first time at the Grand we didn't know what to expect, but we were pleasantly surprised.everything was great, we had a room on the fifth floor and the views were spectacular,the food was very nice and plenty of choice, and the entertainment was first class, especially in the Ballroom. the only complaint we had was that the paintwork in our room was a bit shabby, but apart from that it was very clean, and serviced every day, The staff were all very helpful and pleasant and we look forward to returning again one day. The Goodchilds from east yorkshire.

1 Thank Sheila G
Norwich
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We have just come back from a 6day stay at the hotel,we found our rooms to be in first class order, clean and the linen was crisp and white. We went with Sunrise Holidays, we were on the fourth floor and the only problem was when the 5th floor room above mine was occupied, the floors creaked so much, it sounded as if they had hobnail boots on.
I did comment on the windows needed cleaning, but there were an awful lot of windows, the food in the restaurant was very good, only because we were on a tour the meals were 8.00am and 17.30pm, which was rather early. There was an excellent choice in the meals offered, we looked forward to them each day. The hotel is old, it needs a good tidy up outside, the windows need cleaning, the paintwork needs touching up, but it is an imposing building and looks great from down the road as you walk up the hill. Inside the carpets are clean, and the general appearance of the bars etc is very good. The price of drinks was reasonable and I would certainly go again. If you want 5* accommodation, then do not go there,but if you want a good clean place to stay with good food then try it, just hope you do not get someone above you who keeps walking about at 23.00 hours!!! on the creaky floors. Thankfully it was for the last night that this happened so it did not spoil my holiday.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room away from the bars and the ballroom as it goes on quite late.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family