“old and worn out”

The Grand Hotel - Llandudno
Ranked #58 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 11 August 2012

stayed at the grand recently with a disabled lady, we had so much luggage, a portable hoist and omg what a diaster. when we got there. no one helped with getting the luggage or the portable hoist in, instead we struggled. finally got to the room which was booked as a disabled twin room, obviously,, and low and behold, it was a normal room, no shower, walls peeling and furniture antiquated. Asked if the room could be changed, no was the reply from a very unhelpful receptionist. so we struggled on to be told there was no parking for the mini bus and you will just have to find somewhere.... erh... its a mini bus, bigger than a car , well, came the reply you will just have to find somewhere. ok, so i will tell that to the traffic warden who came and threatened to book me for unloading outside the hotel , who could obviously see the luggage, wheelchair and two stressed out carers. On a positive note, the food is good and the restaurant staff friendly, but its been a while since ive had my tea and coffee out of a flask or an urn . E xpensive holiday for a not so grand hotel, needs a good makeover..

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank storming6
There are newer reviews for The Grand Hotel - Llandudno

Reviewed 10 August 2012

We had the misfortune of staying at the Grand Hotel, Llandudno for five days this week. I have photographs of our small room showing duct tape holding wires to the window frame, we had to clean the mirrors on arrival with wet tissues, the skirting boards were filthy, as was most of the room. There was nowhere to put the soap whilst showering, nowhere to hang the wet towels afterwards as the towel hooks were broken, if we stood on the bed and leaned over yes, we had a seaview. The dining room was like an army barracks with very little room between the tables and elderly people were struggling to carry their soup back to their table. It was a complete shambles and I would advise anyone contemplating visiting here.... don't!

Room Tip: I can't speak for other rooms, but definitely avoid room 322
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Linda I
Reviewed 9 August 2012

as the hotel was as expected! Booked three nights, three double seaview rooms as a family break. Yes, the hotel is in need of a total refurbishment programme - but the rooms were adequate with clean beds, towels changed daily, plenty of hot water and a wonderful sea view. The breakfast buffet, although reminiscent of school dinner time, was a reasonable choice, all replenished prior to running out and with no restriction on portions. Parking is a problem, but the hotel was built when cars were not the norm - and currently the majority of guests arrive by coach. The staff were helpful and friendly. The pricing policy reflects the dated and tired accommodation - so again - no complaints!

Room Tip: Pay for a sea view!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I booked this hotel through bookings.com a few weeks ago as a surprise birthday weekend for my partner
The photos on the Internet do look grand
The location is brilliant
Parking is non existent unless you arrive late and leave your car in a public car park for your stay

The hotel room we got had paper hanging off the walls and was no more than 8 x 8
It did have a lovely view of the inside guttering of the hotel, with just a space view of the beach if you leaned out the window

Inits day I am sure it really was a grand hotel, but in my opinion to any more

I had multiple complaints with the room, and the breakfasts, for which the choice was really good, but cold on one occasion weren't

I have emailed there customer support to complain at the standards but have been fobbed off

If you want a cheap hotel and are not bothered by the poor Deere then this hotel is for you

I personally won't be visiting this place again

I would prefer to pay more nd stop in a premier inn who do elieve in customer satisfaction and do take notice of their guests and not just take their money

Very very disappointing hotel

Room Tip: Pick somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PL-Nottingham
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Stayed at the Grand in Landudno saturday 04/08/2012, (paid £70.00 B@B,via Late Rooms .com and my son paid £58.00 direct withBrittania hotel) and was quite frankly disappointed with most of this hotel and services.
Firstly, there was a major lack of parking, it was non existant, we then had problems with the booking that my son and his fiancee had made, and the reception staff were ok but we felt that we had done something wrong, it turned that they had spelt their name incorrectly. we then went to look around Llandudno, which was lovely, we went in quite a few bars and also for something to eat then we went back to the hotel to check in, we were room 234, it was very small and not really too clean, there was water and toothpaste marks on the tiles in bathroom, we did have a shower, my son was in 224 and there was no shower in this room.
The bar area was quite nice with fabulous views out to sea, wonderful.
Breakfast was buffet style and plentiful,but poor quality produce.
The hotel overall needs to be given some loving care and a wipe round with a cloth wrung in hot water and soap suds, and cobwebbing as well .
Balcony was an excellent feature to the room.

Room Tip: try another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bobble0204
Reviewed 4 August 2012

If you're not with someone over 70 forget it! This 110 year old hotel is ideally located next to the prom for those who want a gentle stroll and my experience is that it rightly prides itself on catering for the elderly. The staff are very respectful and there were OAPs there on their own who had been back many times. The food is inexpensive and plain but seems to suit the clientele. It is also served very early in the evening. There is bingo and a ballroom as well as a comfortable bar. There are mobility scooters for use around the hotel and two lifts. Due to the age of the place the corridor floorboards creek like nothing I have heard before and the windows definitely need a clean.The premier rooms get a sea view, more space and better seats in the restaurant. Get them if you can.I requested next door rooms to be near my elderly mother but we were allocated different floors! Not ideal.This hotel provides a service for the large number of elderly guests who clearly frequent it. It does have a retirement home feel so if that scares you try somewhere else!

Room Tip: For retired people only
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank HandB187069
Reviewed 4 August 2012

On arriving at he hotel we were told we had a room on floor 2 but when we entered the room we found there was no shower. I was amazed to see this as the last time I could remember having a hotel room without a shower was in the Eastern bloc nearly 20 years ago. So we went to reception saying we'd like a room with a shower, we were given an alternive room on the top (5th) floor, after making our way up there on 2 lifts carrying all our bags we found another room without a shower. Returning to reception we were given another room on floor 3, the room was shabby but by this time really didn't care as at least it did have a shower. The hotel is in a great location and obviously many moons ago was indeed 'grand' but the Britannia group seem to be running it into the ground and investing nothing, this is a real shame as it should be the jewel of Llandudno rather than its grubby secret. Our other major complaint was breakfast, which was simply horrible, the eggs looked and tasted like plastic joke eggs, the toast was like rubber and completely in edible, whilst all the ingredients were clearly from the cheapest source. There was plenty of entertainment throughout the hotel and it is free even if the standard isn't the best. I wasn't expecting the Ritz based on the budget price but this was much more shabby and lower standards than any other budget hotel I've previously stayed in. But it really is a beautiful building in a fantastic location (hence the second star) which is screaming out for and deserving a refurb - come on Britannia Group get your wallet out!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple